Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs
Reload this Page gregcantrall
Old

The night I was arrested for reckless driving when I was walking.

Posted 01-05-2017 at 11:32 PM by gregcantrall

This might take a while. It all started at a scotch doubles League match. My wife and I did not see eye-to-eye on how things had been going that night. I decided it might just be better to walk the mile and a half home rather than it being in the car together was not an option.
So after about a half a mile down lumbia Boulevard headed towards the blue Bridge. As I am approaching the mini market on the left a police car pulls in. The two officers get out and put their backs against the wall...
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 11254 Comments 1 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

My very first lesson in gambling:

Posted 01-25-2013 at 03:18 PM by gregcantrall

- posted to Gambling question

My very first lesson in gambling:

I had played for drinks and played challenge tables for money but had never matched up with anyone. Heck I did not even know what "match up" meant.

One night I went into my local tavern with my brand new Huebler to try it out. There was only one other person in the bar and when he saw me with a pool case his ears perked right up. As soon as I got to the table he was all over me....
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9888 Comments 1 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

Mixed Scotch Doubles

Posted 01-25-2013 at 01:18 PM by gregcantrall

Originally posted to a pool stories thread - 01-06-2013
This happened over twenty years ago but is still my favorite pool story I tell on my wife.

We were playing in a mixed scotch doubles tournament that was a race to four nine ball. Our first match was against Joe and Lavern, a team capable of winning the tournament. Realistically we were capable of maybe getting in the money. Anyway before the match Joe and I make a $20 sweat bet, not even enough to cover the entry fee....
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 6647 Comments 0 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

Learning by reading "Book Learnin'

Posted 01-25-2013 at 11:01 AM by gregcantrall

I grew up in a small logging town in nothern CA, Douglas City population 90. Two room school house, first through fourth grades in one room fifth through eight in the other. I was taught to use the library (in Weaverville, eight miles away) for extended education.

The first time I used the library to my advantage was when I was in the eigth grade. One kid that I had always been stronger than and could out wrestle in the past, grew a head taller and was shaving! Luckily for me I had...
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5799 Comments 0 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

How I learned what real pool players could do.

Posted 01-23-2013 at 08:55 AM by gregcantrall

In 1982 we lived in Tacoma, WA. We accidentally found a weekly pool tournament at a little bar(The Creekwater) on South Tacoma Way. They only had one pool table. In the course of playing in that little tournament, another player told us about a 9 ball tournament Wed. nights at the White Spot in Fife. They had 5 bar tables and a 9 foot Gold Crown. I had never heard of 9 ball. It was described as being the biggest and best weekly tournament around. So we go and check it out. OMG! It was a whole new...
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5588 Comments 0 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

How I learned to play for Money

Posted 01-23-2013 at 08:28 AM by gregcantrall

Passing the test at the H bar B
This is the preamble to the pool story.
In 1979 I had just met my the lady that is now my wife, well had known her for a couple of months. We had just moved to Oakdale, CA, "The Cowboy Capital of the World". I had long hair and a beard and rode a Harley. We played pool at the H bar B, where it was common for the cowboys to go outside and fight and the first one to hit the ground buys the beer. My wife had lived in Oakdale and knew most of the...
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3142 Comments 0 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags
Old

My first BLOG post.

Posted 01-23-2013 at 06:59 AM by gregcantrall

How I got into pool.
In 1974 I made a pool table. Prior to that I had never played pool, other than a couple of games at the bowling alley when I was ten or twelve years old. I worked in a particle board plant in Anderson, CA. We made the particle board tops for Sears cheap home tables. I came across an article in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics on "How to Build a Pool Table". So for $125 I built a three and a half by seven pool table, complete with balls, rack and cue. I also...
Center Ball
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2415 Comments 0 gregcantrall is offline Edit Tags