Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > gregcantrall
Reload this Page My very first lesson in gambling:
Rate this Entry

My very first lesson in gambling:

Posted 01-25-2013 at 03:18 PM by gregcantrall

- posted to Gambling question

My very first lesson in gambling:

I had played for drinks and played challenge tables for money but had never matched up with anyone. Heck I did not even know what "match up" meant.

One night I went into my local tavern with my brand new Huebler to try it out. There was only one other person in the bar and when he saw me with a pool case his ears perked right up. As soon as I got to the table he was all over me. We agreed on eight ball(the only game I knew at that time) for $5. So I win the game, rather than paying me, he racks the balls and says, "Double or Nothin' ". I say "sure" as I am just learning this whole pool thing. I win again and same story, no money just rack and the demand of double or nothing. I win again, now I am up $35 and he demands that we play for $40.I have no intention of playing this guy that I have never seen before for $40. So when I politely decline the $40's, he says, "well if you won't play me for $40, I won't pay you the $35."

In my best diplomatic tone I explained to him how I was a novice pool player but I did not see the logic in playing him for $40 if he already owed me $35 and refused to pay. However if he payed me the money he owed me we could then negotiate the wager for the next game. HEH!! He could not argue the logic so dug out the money, (which he had plenty of) and paid me. I took the money, put it in my pocket, unscrewed and told him to "go have fun with himself", not those words but the ones that go with the your number one salute.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9938 Comments 1 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Great stories.
    Maybe I'll try to write one