Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Melissa Morris
Reload this Page You're a pro?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
You're a pro?
Old
  (#1)
PunchOut
addicted
PunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond reputePunchOut has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 700

You're a pro? - 04-16-2009, 05:48 AM

deleted........

Last edited by PunchOut; 04-16-2009 at 05:55 AM.

Old
  (#2)
poolplayer2093
AzB Silver Member
poolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-16-2009, 06:15 AM

man i wonder what this said

Old
  (#3)
Melissa Morris
Melissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond reputeMelissa Morris has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolplayer2093 View Post
man i wonder what this said
So do I.. But if people are wondering if I'm a pro or not, no I am not at this time.. I was last year, but I had a bad year and lost my pro status.. You know I just had to many other things going on in my life I put pool last..

Melissa Morris

Old
  (#4)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

04-16-2009, 10:24 AM

What is a pro in pool anyway? To me it's someone who makes a living at it, or a substantial part of their income is derived from playing and/or sponsorship. And it doesn't have to be tournaments. A road player qualifies.

It's just that in pool, as opposed to golf for instance, the status between pro and amateur is different. I'm certainly an amateur pool player but if I play in a tournament I'm entitled to the same pay-out as any pro entered in the same event. In a golf tournament if I'm entered as an amateur I am then not entitled to any payout. I think the pro/amateur thing in pool is more akin to the poker thing.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#5)
Da Bank
AzB Silver Member
Da Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond reputeDa Bank has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Da Bank  
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
What is a pro in pool anyway? To me it's someone who makes a living at it, or a substantial part of their income is derived from playing and/or sponsorship. And it doesn't have to be tournaments. A road player qualifies.

It's just that in pool, as opposed to golf for instance, the status between pro and amateur is different. I'm certainly an amateur pool player but if I play in a tournament I'm entitled to the same pay-out as any pro entered in the same event. In a golf tournament if I'm entered as an amateur I am then not entitled to any payout. I think the pro/amateur thing in pool is more akin to the poker thing.
in my book, you are not a "professional" unless you are a member of a recognized professional association such as the WPBA.

If you are good enough to be a sanctioned professional and choose not to be so that you can hit the road and deceive people of your abilities... you are, in technical terms, a "waste".

I think if you are good enough and spend the same amount of time playing as a real professional who makes their livelihood through the sport and you don't go for the titles and upper echelon achievements, you are really misguided in some way. I know of a few guys like this that could be in the top 50 in the world but choose not to be so they can continue the hustle, I think it's sad.

my first name is Chase... get it?

Player: Andy Gilbert
Shaft: OB Cues Classic
Break: Mezz Power Break DI II
Jump: James Hanshew Jumper

Old
  (#6)
Ilike1pocket
Registered
Ilike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond reputeIlike1pocket has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Sorry, I think your wrong. The Top Pool Player in the world does not make what the lowest golfer does (Pro).

The only Pool Player that got out with any type money was "The Miz" from his Just Showing off commercials that he invested in himself on his name on cues.

He had to fly overseas and put up his own money.

Three years later they were flying here begging.

Pools the greatest sport in the world, but don't get in for the money.

Old
  (#7)
heath730
Registered
heath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond reputeheath730 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

04-26-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bank View Post
in my book, you are not a "professional" unless you are a member of a recognized professional association such as the WPBA.

If you are good enough to be a sanctioned professional and choose not to be so that you can hit the road and deceive people of your abilities... you are, in technical terms, a "waste".

I think if you are good enough and spend the same amount of time playing as a real professional who makes their livelihood through the sport and you don't go for the titles and upper echelon achievements, you are really misguided in some way. I know of a few guys like this that could be in the top 50 in the world but choose not to be so they can continue the hustle, I think it's sad.
Can you really blame them? there is much more money huslting then playing in tournaments, It's tough to make a living playing in tournaments unless you're like top 25 in the world. Staying on the road they can make a killing.

Old
  (#8)
cuedaddy
Banned
cuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond reputecuedaddy has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Even being top 25,, Dont you think its hard.. The time invested.. the nerves. the time spent in PR.. Sleep patternts.. Not a good payoff in my mind, Unless you truly enjoy the game to death

Professional Pool Player
Old
  (#9)
PoolChump
Banned
PoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond reputePoolChump has a reputation beyond repute

Lightbulb Professional Pool Player - 12-15-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:

The definition of "professional" is making a living at a particular profession. But, when playing a pool tournament that is handicapped, a professional player are considered high level or top level players whether they may a living playing pool or not.

Old
  (#10)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Top 50 in the world huh? Are they named New York and Arizona? Gimme a break
Jason

Old
  (#11)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Top 50 in the world huh? Are they named New York and Arizona? Gimme a break
Jason
I ran into a guy who fits this description a month or two ago. Nobody knew who he was until weeks after he left town and had destroyed a very good player gambling. Who knows maybe he is still on the road doing the same thing. He doesn't live in the US so most people have no clue what his name is here or how good he plays.

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-17-2016, 06:37 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about. The days of "hustlers" roaming the roads "making a living" have been over for many years. You might get hustled by a better amateur player locally, but there's nobody making a killing playing the road.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by heath730 View Post
Can you really blame them? there is much more money huslting then playing in tournaments, It's tough to make a living playing in tournaments unless you're like top 25 in the world. Staying on the road they can make a killing.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. The days of "hustlers" roaming the roads "making a living" have been over for many years. You might get hustled by a better amateur player locally, but there's nobody making a killing playing the road.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
I disagree. See my post above. The guy easily makes several thousand each weekend and it takes some serious work to find out who he is. By the time you found out who he is, he is long gone. He is from a country not known for pool and goes by a nickname.

FWIW he is somewhere in the top 20 for players in the US right now.

Old
  (#14)
WilleeCue
The Barefoot Cuemaker
WilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

07-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Isn't that called a "Hustler"?

When someone askes me to play some pool I dont consider that a deception no matter how good or bad they then play.
If i am greatly out skilled and have no chance of beating them I generally know it the first game. No Harm, No Foul.

Old
  (#15)
WilleeCue
The Barefoot Cuemaker
WilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond reputeWilleeCue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

07-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_ball6970 View Post
I ran into a guy who fits this description a month or two ago. Nobody knew who he was until weeks after he left town and had destroyed a very good player gambling. Who knows maybe he is still on the road doing the same thing. He doesn't live in the US so most people have no clue what his name is here or how good he plays.
The very good player was not as good as he thought he was.
He destroyed himself with his greed.
I seen it here locally sometimes ... people that just know they can beat you and always try the double or nothing trick. Sometimes it backfires and they pay double.
I dont need but one or two games to know when I am out skilled on a pool table and there is no shame in quitting with some money still in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2