Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs
Reload this Page CJ Wiley
Old

Learning BEST From Others

Posted 09-05-2012 at 07:48 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 01-20-2013 at 05:46 AM by CJ Wiley

I used to practice with Buddy Hall in Tampa Florida when we both lived there and he was always an inspiration.....at times I would try to imitate his stroke/grip/tempo and found out that it worked really well for Buddy and not so well for me....that's the issue, even though we all have common denominators in our games, we still have to find a way to do it our own way.
Buddy has shown me things that don't work for me, but work for other people and I've learned the same type things from Omaha...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5245 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Game is the Teacher

Posted 09-05-2012 at 08:49 AM by CJ Wiley
Updated 09-06-2012 at 10:30 PM by CJ Wiley

One thing I appreciate about golf is they have allowed condition changes and higher tech equipment , but not at the expense of the integrity of the game.....the ball is the same size, the hole is the same size, and they use a "Stimpmeter" to measure the speed of the greens ...and they have taken strides to make the golf courses TOUGHER because of the lighter shafts, better designed balls and other high tech material that improves distance.

THIS IS WHAT I'M SUGGESTING IN
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5301 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Texas State Tournament's Charity Event

Posted 09-04-2012 at 09:59 PM by CJ Wiley

Just got back from the Texas State Championships.....had a great time this year and it started out positive with a charity event that raised over $7500. for the St. Jude's Children's Hospital.....and actually won the Scotch Doubles Event with my partner who won an $800. Cue Stick.... it was a WIN/WIN for everyone.....I'm 2 for 2 in Scotch Doubles tournaments BTW - the last on was with LoreeJon Hasson when we won the ESPN WORLD MIXED DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIP.....maybe that should be my new "Road...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 5162 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Using Deflection to Create Larger Margins of Error

Posted 08-29-2012 at 02:56 AM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-29-2012 at 03:01 AM by CJ Wiley

The most difficult thing (in any game/sport) is to hit the ball EXACTLY in the center, with no spin or deflection...pool's the same because if you just hit the ball minutely off it will deflect in the opposite direction...because the very best players realize this (either consciously or unconsciously) they will intentionally hit the cue ball to one side or the other (except when slow rolling a shot or on shots straight in)....that way they know FOR SURE which way the ball will deflect and if they...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2597 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Three - Part Pocket System

Posted 08-28-2012 at 03:20 PM by CJ Wiley

In my Ultimate Pool Secrets DVD I refer to it as the "Three Part Pocket System"....I divide the pocket into 3 parts and aim at one part while addressing the cue ball to throw the Object ball into one of the other two parts....this is something I learned in golf.....Pro golfers aren't trying to hit any of their longer shots straight, they, instead aim for one side of the fairway and either draw or fade the ball into the middle or other side...I'm doing the same thing, and if we hit it where...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2770 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Joke of the Week

Posted 08-27-2012 at 03:49 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-28-2012 at 02:37 PM by CJ Wiley

A man escapes from prison where he has been for 15 years. He breaks into a house to look for money and guns and finds a young couple in bed.

He orders the guy out of bed and ties him to a chair, while tying the girl to the bed he gets on top of her, kisses her neck, then gets up and goes into the bathroom. While he's in there, the husband tells his wife:

"Listen, this guy's an escaped convict, look at his clothes! He probably spent lots of time in jail and hasn't...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2609 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

How to be the Best Pool Player in the World

Posted 08-23-2012 at 11:00 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 02-03-2013 at 04:50 PM by CJ Wiley

A young boy wanted to be the best pool player in the world....he researched and found a Master Instructor to learn from and called on him.

The Master agreed to meet, and the boy said "Master, I want to be the Best Pool Player in the whole world, how long will it take me?" The Master said 10 years, the boy, troubled, said "what if I practice more than any of your students, how long will it take?"

The Master said 20 years, even more disturbed the boy...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2903 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Professional Alignment System in High Definition

Posted 08-23-2012 at 04:05 AM by CJ Wiley
Updated 10-31-2012 at 12:01 AM by CJ Wiley

I've been working on the section of my new DVD that shows the two planes of the Professional Alignment System....the vertical plane that goes straight down from your eyes to the cue ball and the horizontal plane that moves clockwise (for a right handed person) and is established a few inches above the pool table....how these two planes come together in an effective pre-shot routine is important and the laser presentation my Producer uses to show this makes it crystal clear !....I'm looking forward...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2590 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Sometimes a Hustler Becomes the "Hustlee"

Posted 08-22-2012 at 06:15 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-22-2012 at 06:21 PM by CJ Wiley

I have been hustled by a hustler before, but even then there's a code of ethics and this particular guy beat me out of my money, but refused to take my jewelry and my cue (he had me way off base...if I had all the money I had "forgiven" and got stiffed for I could buy a new Lamborghini.....and it's all chump change compared to what they do on Wall Street to people ;-).. if you're conning someone in an unfair game....or you don't know them very well it's always best to put up the dough.....find...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3039 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

From Texas Monthly's Confessions of a Pool Hustler by Michael Geffner

Posted 08-22-2012 at 09:24 AM by CJ Wiley

IT HAPPENED IN PITTSBURGH in 1986, back when The Color of Money, a movie about a young pool shark, had hit theaters and Carson “CJ” Wiley was himself hustling pool on the road—back when, on a moment’s notice, he would drive hundreds of miles to some backwoods dive on a trip that someone with wads of cash gambled big-time there. On that particular night, Wiley wore fake glasses and assumed one of three aliases, Mike from Indiana. His mark was the owner of a restaurant, a bearded man with receding...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2735 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Attitude - Positive or Negative?

Posted 08-20-2012 at 07:36 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-22-2012 at 09:17 AM by CJ Wiley

The negative man picked up a glass half filled with water.....seeing the Master he said "is this glass half full?".....the Master shook his head.....the man smiled "I thought you were SO POSITIVE, so is it half empty?"....the Master shook his head again...the man, suddenly becoming aggravated quipped "if it's not half full and it's not half empty what is it?!?!" ....the Master looked him squarely in the eye and quietly said "the glass is always completely full,...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4542 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

CJ Wiley's New Blog

Posted 08-20-2012 at 05:17 AM by CJ Wiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjssecrets4u2 View Post
I actually use more index/trigger finger pressure ... this influences the front of the wrist....there again, if you don't play tennis here's a picture that shows more about what I'm talking about...and yes, it does eliminate unnecessary wrist motion, but can still generate a LOT of power when needed.

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 21025 Comments 1 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Creative Missing...an opportunity for improvement

Posted 08-17-2012 at 01:47 AM by CJ Wiley

You generally won’t read or hear anyone talk about the shots they missed in a match. The funny thing is that missing is a very important part of the game, and probably the most overlooked opportunity for improvement. Don’t get me wrong, I would never advise anyone to miss more shots, even though I miss shots on purpose in certain situations.
Please understand when this situation comes up it is not that I am trying to “hustle” anyone or anything like that; it is because of the layout of...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4765 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Consistent Grip Pressure to Overcome Pressure

Posted 08-16-2012 at 03:45 AM by CJ Wiley

There have been many opinions on the subject of grip pressure and whether you should hold the cue lightly or firmly for the best results. I have traveled with many great players in my time and have asked them what gets them the best results. Some of the older players still hold firm to the idea that you should hold the cue very gently and allow it to do the “work” for you. This seems to work very well when there is very little pressure and you have absolute control over your coordination. The problem...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7366 Comments 2 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Interviews with Earl Stickland, Jay Helfert and Max Eberle

Posted 08-15-2012 at 01:01 PM by CJ Wiley

I'm finally getting recuperated from the Tupelo Miss. tournament....we videotaped great stories about the Million Dollar Challenge from Jay Helphert, who was the tournament director and Max Eberle, who was one of the up and coming stars (finished fourth)..and the 2 hour interview with Earl Strickland was something I will never forget....Earl revealed things that I would have never dreamed about preparation....it's too bad the public sees the "other end" of his genius...I believe now, more...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3206 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Chain Reaction

Posted 08-13-2012 at 09:18 PM by CJ Wiley

The visual aiming I do varies from time to time without consequence, but when I alter how I align to the shot with my body it throws my whole perspective off....when I took so much time off I changed my body through martial arts training and effected my shoulders and arms, thus changing the "line" I had been using with my eyes....these things are simply a chain reaction that I believe ALWAYS start at your feet and work up.... I've made some exciting discoveries through this process and...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7742 Comments 2 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Are Systems Essential to World Class Pool?

Posted 08-13-2012 at 07:46 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-20-2012 at 06:12 AM by CJ Wiley

I can't help but wonder how anyone could think you could play pool (or anything else) at the highest level without a system. Whether we want to realize it or not there is a conscious or unconcious system for all aspects of pocket billiards. That goes for pocketing balls, playing zone position, lining up your eyes correctly relative to the line of the shot, etc.

The main thing with aiming is the way we connect the two balls together BEFORE getting down on the shot. If anyone doesn't...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 21659 Comments 2 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

There are TWO Aiming "Systems"....Mind & Body

Posted 08-13-2012 at 04:02 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 08-17-2012 at 04:37 PM by CJ Wiley

I want to give my personal experience with "aiming systems". It seems like there's many ways to aim one ball at another, just like there's many ways to aim a basketball at a hoop... a golf ball at a target... a football at a wide receiver...etc....However, there's one thing that's consistent about shooting a bow/arrow or rifle at a target.....that's the SIGHTS....without sights it would be VERY DIFFICULTY for even a master marksman to hit the target like they do. I feel like the same...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 12217 Comments 4 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Earl Strickland Interview...The Million Dollar Challenge

Posted 08-13-2012 at 04:01 PM by CJ Wiley

I'm listening to Earl Stickland during our interview in Tunica Mississippi for the Million Dollar Challenge documentary.....he shared how he went about training to be able to run multiple racks "on call"..... his wife (at the time) said he looked at her on the drive to Dallas and said "I'm going to do it!!!".....can you imagine thinking you could run 10 racks in a row for a million dollars??? I honesty don't think anyone other than Earl would.
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3403 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The New CJ's Billiard Palace

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:58 PM by CJ Wiley

I've found two potentially good locations for a new CJ's Billiard Palace in Dallas Texas, but nothing I'm in love with yet....if anyone leads me to a location I use their will be a thousand dollars in compensation to you right away...this includes any buyouts of existing pool rooms in the Dallas/Ft Worth area....I may be interested in other cities, but my main focus is the Dallas area...private message me if you have any leads and I'll follow through with you this week...thanks
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3401 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

The Million Dollar Pool Man....the documentary

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:55 PM by CJ Wiley

I'm finally getting recuperated from the Tupelo Miss. tournament....we videotaped great stories about the Million Dollar Challenge from Jay Helphert, who was the tournament director and Max Eberle, who was one of the up and coming stars (finished fourth)..and the 2 hour interview with Earl Strickland was something I will never forget....Earl revealed things that I would have never dreamed about preparation....it's too bad the public sees the "other end" of his genius...I believe now, more...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 16588 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

Gambling in Pool....Why People like the Underworld Element

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:53 PM by CJ Wiley
Updated 03-28-2013 at 05:49 AM by CJ Wiley

I've heard a lot of very valid points about why pool's not as popular now as it was in the 90's..after doing quite a bit of research I have formed some solid opinions about this matter and would like to hear what you think....in a recent online "think tank poll" 1000 random people were polled and only 2% said they would watch pool UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES...it didn't matter how much money was involved or even what type of pool game it was....on the other hand when ask if they would be interested...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9656 Comments 3 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

'Confessions of a Pool Player' ...written by Mike Geffner

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:51 PM by CJ Wiley

Wiley was part of an elite underground group called “road players,” traveling pool assassins hiding below the radar and never showing their faces in tournaments. “There were only around 30 of us,” says Wiley, who’s run a dozen racks without missing and won as much as $20,000 in a single night. “I’m talking about the solid ones, the guys who consistently got the cash.” These players were known through the grapevine simply by their nicknames: Frisco Jack and One-Eyed Red, Waterdog and Shaft Man, Big...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3303 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

The Art of Self Expression

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:47 PM by CJ Wiley

Playing pool is a way of self expression...like a musician, it's essential to be connected to the experience, and even get the sensation "I'm not just playing" the game, the game is playing me." .....and paradoxically, this only happens when we're willing to give up control in exchange for connection.
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2764 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Old

"I just can't get a roll"

Posted 08-13-2012 at 03:42 PM by CJ Wiley

When I hear a player talk about how "unlucky" he is I immediately know he is weak...the "luck judgement" is taking mental energy and draining it on something that CAN NOT be controlled.....over time this will help me defeat him....my opponent will actually help me win...so let's pretend for a moment there is no "luck"....let's use that energy on something called "momentum" ....let's feel like we're getting momentum and energy from every shot instead of judging...
ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3023 Comments 0 CJ Wiley is offline Edit Tags
Page 3 of 4 123 4