Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Blogs > CJ Wiley
Reload this Page Consistent Grip Pressure to Overcome Pressure
Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Consistent Grip Pressure to Overcome Pressure

Posted 08-16-2012 at 03:45 AM by CJ Wiley

There have been many opinions on the subject of grip pressure and whether you should hold the cue lightly or firmly for the best results. I have traveled with many great players in my time and have asked them what gets them the best results. Some of the older players still hold firm to the idea that you should hold the cue very gently and allow it to do the “work” for you. This seems to work very well when there is very little pressure and you have absolute control over your coordination. The problem arises when the heat is turned up and you get a little bit nervous.
When you are playing with allot at stake it is human nature to tighten up a bit mentally and physically. If you are trying to stay loose you are fighting against what is naturally going to happen and not setting yourself up for success. If you don’t like, or have trouble playing under pressure then you probably know what I’m talking about.
I have something you might try if you feel your game going down when the pressure is turned up. It is called consistent grip pressure and it is used to control the cue through the entire stroke, beginning to end. The way that I check to feel how much pressure is appropriate is to get down beside the cue ball and do a practice stroke like in golf. I will notice the degree of firmness that I reach in the follow through and then raise up and feel what it would be like to use that exact pressure throughout the whole stroke. When you start with the follow through in mind, and stay consistent then nothing can break down under pressure. If you feel like you are going to tighten up you can do it from the very beginning and you won't have it bothering you at the wrong time.
I have played in a great many pressure situations and this has held up for me and pulled me through situations on ESPN where I turned a potential loss into a win with millions of people watching. This technique may. you win your next BIG match.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7347 Comments 2 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Seems to make sense. However, do you think tightening up may not get you maximum stroking power? For example, on some shots I use a bit of "wrist action", especially on thin cuts where you have to let the cue ball go back and forth. It seems those shots are easier if you give the wrist a bit of a flick on the follow through. Just my opinion.
    Posted 08-16-2012 at 10:01 PM by 1on1pooltournys 1on1pooltournys is offline
  2. Old Comment
    That's fine, but under pressure you may want to tighten up BEFORE you get down on the shot...just feel your follow through pressure because I'm guessing even with the "wrist flick" you are tightening after impact? I also do this wrist motion on power shots and certain finesse ones as well, but I still hold it securely....I've described it like holding your toothbrush the amount needed to feel EVERY tooth......just like hitting a baseball on a cold day you will get more response from the cue ball if you hold it a bit firmer ... and as I said in my post, it sometimes only makes a difference when under pressure.... Earl S. is a great pressure shot player and he describes his as a "death grip".....ultimately it's just something to experiment with, but worthwhile if you do a lot of HIGH gambling or Big tournament matches.