Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Metal in cues

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Metal in cues
Old
  (#1)
THam
AzB Silver Member
THam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Metal in cues - 10-02-2020, 02:36 PM

I was wondering what it is that causes metal to pop out on a cue stick? Is it a finish issue? I am having a cue made but a friend of mine says a lot of metal will stick out to the point you can feel it.

Player: Tascarella (In Progress), Schon
Breaker: Mezz Kai
Jumper: Hanshew
Case: 3x4 JB Rugged

Old
  (#2)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THam View Post
I was wondering what it is that causes metal to pop out on a cue stick? Is it a finish issue? I am having a cue made but a friend of mine says a lot of metal will stick out to the point you can feel it.
Wood shrinks, metal don't, also metal and wood react differently to humidity and temperature. Many cuemakers want do metal rings or metal inlays. If your finish is on the thick side or if you file down the rings a little before finishing, your probably good.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#3)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2020, 07:49 AM

mine do not pop.................. the finish remains smooth................... the trick it time...... all adhesives and all finishes do not cure and stop shrinking for weeks.............. assemble your cue........ wait 2 weeks............ put on the sealer.......... wait 2 weeks............. put on the finish wait 2 weeks................ while waiting, keep the cue at 75 to 80 degrees....................

your welcome

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Old
  (#4)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2020, 08:06 AM

Wood shrinks and expands with humidity, metal does not, most finishes barely change.

Metal shrinks and expands significantly with changes in temperature. Every change - multiple x per day. Especially the type metals often used in cues (stainless, silver). Wood barely does (separate from MC change).

Finish & glue is probably shrinking from conditions that cause metal to expand.

All 3 systems are fighting each other, sometimes multiple events per day, but it is mostly the wood and metal acting independently to slightly change size, all the time.

Some cuemakers and furniture makers have evolved methods to deal with it. Nonetheless, there are limits.

smt

Old
  (#5)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2020, 10:24 PM

When it comes to metal in cues, it all boils down to proper preparation of the fit to the epoxy and knowing your finishing techniques. I've done my share of work on old Palmer cues. They used the widest metal rings I've come across yet. My shop is temperature and humidity controlled to help me cross my t's and dot my I's. Which is great, FOR ME, and what I do.
But......
It depends on what you do as the customer and your storage techniques that will put it all to the final test. Heat expands metal and cold shrinks it. Every day is a test.
Example
You can laugh, it is a testament of how truly idiotic some people can be. You can't make this up.

Middle of summer. 100 degrees consistantly for days. This guy. Keeps his cues in his case. Yayy
Then he wraps his case with tin foil and puts his case in the trunk of his car.
Very true and sad story. I called the Cue maker and warned him before the customer contacted him.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#6)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2020, 08:24 AM

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:
Worked on Ollie North's former office at WH/EEOB a decade or so ago.
It was also lined with tinfoil (well, thin metal sheets) under the floor and behind the wall & ceiling surfaces....
There is a segment of the population that believes in the all-purpose efficacy of tinfoil.

smt

Old
  (#7)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member
David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:
It was also lined with tinfoil (well, thin metal sheets) under the floor and behind the wall & ceiling surfaces....
There is a segment of the population that believes in the all-purpose efficacy of tinfoil.

smt
Look up Faraday cage...

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - It’s George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938 - Dan Wesson VBOB .45
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#8)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssonerai View Post

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:

smt

Where did Ollie keep his cue?

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#9)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member

10-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Where did Ollie keep his cue
It was long gone by then.
Don't know if the finish popped or not?

I know (more or less) what a faraday cage is.
Depending what is trying to be kept in or out, they are more or less effective.
Kind of like duct tape.

smt

Old
  (#10)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

10-04-2020, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=Ssonerai;6762661]It was long gone by then.
Don't know if the finish popped or not?

I know (more or less) what a faraday cage is.
Depending what is trying to be kept in or out, they are more or less effective.
Kind of like duct tape.

smt[/QUOTE

I do too, now. I looked it up.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues at cox.net

Old
  (#11)
Tom1234
AzB Silver Member
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2020, 06:52 PM

On a non pool note - Faraday cages have been used by some drug reps to keep from being tracked by their company. A few sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil will do the trick. Wrap it around your cell phone and go about your day. Put your phone in airplane mode first to save battery life.