Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Phenolic ball Q

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Phenolic ball Q
Old
  (#1)
terpdad
Registered
terpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Phenolic ball Q - 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM

I just bought some Cyclop Ladons on eBay. They seem very nice, but at 1st glance aren't that different than the used balls that came w/ my used table. I would have expected to get a cheap set of balls w/ the table, so now I'm wondering how do I tell if a ball is phenolic or a cheapo?

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpdad View Post
I just bought some Cyclop Ladons on eBay. They seem very nice, but at 1st glance aren't that different than the used balls that came w/ my used table. I would have expected to get a cheap set of balls w/ the table, so now I'm wondering how do I tell if a ball is phenolic or a cheapo?
Phenolic balls have a characteristic smell when you rub them hard with your thumb. But just because it is phenolic does not mean it is not cheap.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 12:58 PM

Can you post photos of the set you received and the set you already had?

Snowflakes in Hawaii meltdown

What does a laughably out of touch old man sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type79
Stay in your lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
I own you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach

Old
  (#4)
terpdad
Registered
terpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond reputeterpdad has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Can you post photos of the set you received and the set you already had?
Unfortunately no. It keeps telling me it's failed.

Old
  (#5)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately no. It keeps telling me it's failed.
If you email them, I can post for you

Quote:
Stay in your lane.
Quote:
I own you nothing grasshopper, as in my mind you are just another internet cocoaroach

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Or, this sticky thread has a link to a video of instructions on how to post pictures. Is 39 posts sufficient to have image capability? I'm guessing that the size of the image is a problem.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=512283

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Good way is to bring them along to your local pool hall, ask some good players to try them out and look at them. Any decent player would be able to tell a cheap set from a good one in 2 minutes.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#8)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

09-28-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I'm guessing that the size of the image is a problem.
Usually this is the case. Just open the picture in Paint and use Resize to shrink the picture down to 50% or less.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#9)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

09-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
Usually this is the case. Just open the picture in Paint and use Resize to shrink the picture down to 50% or less.
What if he's using one of those smarty-phone things the kids have? Can you paint on those?

Bob <-- technology will make things easier -- yeah, right

Old
  (#10)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate

09-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
What if he's using one of those smarty-phone things the kids have? Can you paint on those?

Bob <-- technology will make things easier -- yeah, right

Er, ok

There are about 10 ways to resize an image on a smartphone in the time it took you to post that snark

Quote:
Stay in your lane.
Quote:

Old
  (#11)
terpdad
Registered

09-28-2020, 03:42 PM

I re-sized it 3X & it still won't upload. Oh well. I think the set that came w/ my table is probably phenolic & better quality than I expected. My wife has a set of balls (insert joke here) from the table at her last house & those balls are noticeably duller, chipped, etc.

Old
  (#12)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-28-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
P.S.- are you single?

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#13)
bignick31985
Life Long Learner
bignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond reputebignick31985 has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2020, 02:50 AM

I have a set of Cyclop Ladon balls as well. Can't tell a playing difference between the Dynasphere Tungsten or Arcos 2. However, the Ladon balls 'mark' easier while playing. Seems the Cyclop cue ball gets an extra roll or two also. Could just be me.

They are still nice for the $$$.