Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Socializing with your team or other teams?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Socializing with your team or other teams?
Old
  (#1)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Socializing with your team or other teams? - 09-15-2020, 12:02 AM

So after having done my second league night. I subbed for a different league kinda last minute thing. I am seeing that it seems people generally associated with there own team and not very much with the other team. Like when your done playing you go back to your own table. Is this common? It seems like people talk some but not as much as I assumed. Like I saw a person pull out there phone and start playing a game on it during league. Have you guys seen this same type of thing?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 12:31 AM

Last league I played in was in house with 4 teams so we were all pretty close since we were all together every league night. Most of us very friendly with each other and all hung out in a big group during league nights.

Old
  (#3)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 04:05 AM

it seems people talk some?? lol what?

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#4)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_lion View Post
So after having done my second league night. I subbed for a different league kinda last minute thing. I am seeing that it seems people generally associated with there own team and not very much with the other team. Like when your done playing you go back to your own table. Is this common? It seems like people talk some but not as much as I assumed. Like I saw a person pull out there phone and start playing a game on it during league. Have you guys seen this same type of thing?

Thanks
Why would you go over to the other teams side when you are done playing? Or do you mean for the night when everyone is done? Do you see baseball players go to the other side dugout when they are done being at bat or do they wait to shake hands after the game is over?

What people do depends on the people and if the players know each other. Maybe you should wait to ask all your questions when you played a bit longer in the league to see how things go.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#5)
Maxx
AzB Platinum Member
Maxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2020, 07:48 AM

Football, do they sit on the same bench?

Old
  (#6)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

09-15-2020, 08:13 AM

I socialize with people from every team. That's the way it is in our pool room, we have between 100 and 150 people playing league in any given session, and most of us know each other. Many of us have played on different teams together at one time or another. At the least, we see each other a couple times a week, year after year, so we know each other. New players tend to get introduced around to other folks, most of the time. Because we've all become friendly, having played league together for a long time.

If you were to be in a league for more than a few weeks, you would start to become known to other people playing. As to whether they would socialize with you or not, is up to you and how you handle yourself, I suppose. I've found people in general to want to be friendly, of course there are exceptions to that, like anything else.

You can't expect it to be like that for you after a week or two. If you play regularly, people will begin to know who you are. If you are pleasant to them, and make at least small conversation, over time you will probably get to know some of them. You can't force friendship; you need to be a friend (or at least friendly) before you can make a friend.

And yes, some people will spend their time at league on their phone, or at the bar watching the ball game, outside smoking, or any number of things. I look at my phone some thru the night. Perfectly natural in 2020.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#7)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member
David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 09:14 AM

After we beat the other team into bloody submission, we move to the bar and drink brown liquor while laughing at the resultant carnage.

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - It’s George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938 - Dan Wesson VBOB .45
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#8)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-15-2020, 09:25 AM

This is war. They can eat turds an have a choke in a throat.

I hope they slip and hit their collective chin on the table and bite their damn tongue and it hurts.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#9)
Hoser
AzB Silver Member
Hoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond reputeHoser has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
This is war. They can eat turds an have a choke in a throat.

I hope they slip and hit their collective chin on the table and bite their damn tongue and it hurts.
Ok, you're on the team

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Cues: Player: Gulyassy
Semi Retired: Mcdermott D-19 with Paul Dayton shaft

Old
  (#10)
THam
AzB Silver Member
THam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond reputeTHam has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 12:47 PM

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Player: Tascarella (In Progress), Schon
Breaker: Mezz Kai
Jumper: Hanshew
Case: 3x4 JB Rugged

Old
  (#11)
jaime_lion
AzB Silver Member
jaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond reputejaime_lion has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THam View Post
We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.
I learned to play pool on the street you either got good or you died. LOL

Old
  (#12)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Been playing ion the same league for over a decade, so most of us have known each other for a long time. So there's plenty of intra-team conversation, including smack-talk, inquiries about each other's families, etc. Of course, there are a few that don't want to be friendly, and some new teams seem to be a bit shy, but that's the outlier and not the norm in our league.

Old
  (#13)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
09-16-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_lion View Post
I learned to play pool on the street you either got good or you died. LOL
That's right, nimrods: kill or be kilt.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#14)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2020, 07:04 PM

I was raised to be a good sport here in Birmingham. And that's in all sports I participated in, baseball 12 years, football 6, basketball 4, boxing 4, and pool since I was 14.
Each and every sport, including boxing, there was friendship, fun, and most of all respect. But lots of fun, especially after the event. This is during the mid-60's - early '70's.
I wouldn't change it for all the money in a politicians pocket.
On the other hand, thgere were a bunch of sissy's who wouldn't or couldn't walk across 10 yards to shake and share a beer and stories. Those are the kind we described as miserable chits that never got along with anyone anyway, were losers in their social life as well as their home life. (you know the kind).
Just play the game and enjoy ALL the comraderie, you'll be much happier and content!

Old
  (#15)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

09-17-2020, 06:49 AM

Rroblem with small talk, it is hard to put down like a bag of Potatoes Chips, it stay with you, it b3ecause a distraction. If you serious about winning, do not do nothing but place yourself in a bubble about your mission.

Winning.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.