Reload this Page Soft hitting cue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Soft hitting cue
Old
  (#1)
sgengaro86
AzB Silver Member
sgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond reputesgengaro86 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Soft hitting cue - 03-02-2020, 02:21 PM

When people talk about “best hitting” cues, it seems like many mention stiffer, crisper hits like the Southwests. Are there cues people like that have a very soft hit? For example, I have a production Pechaeur with a stainless joint and I love the soft hit. I hate the weighting of the cue so I don’t play with it, but love the soft feeling. Does anyone have any favorite customer cues that have a solid but soft hit?
Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgengaro86 View Post
When people talk about “best hitting” cues, it seems like many mention stiffer, crisper hits like the Southwests. Are there cues people like that have a very soft hit? For example, I have a production Pechaeur with a stainless joint and I love the soft hit. I hate the weighting of the cue so I don’t play with it, but love the soft feeling. Does anyone have any favorite customer cues that have a solid but soft hit?
Thanks!
That verbiage is a throwback before we had low deflection and carbon fiber shafts. So "hits a ton" simply translates to stiff. Higher end cuemakers made it a race for stiffest hit.
Its a lot like (I know this analogy is a little left field but it works) surfboards. Sure a guy could work his whole life developing his own legendary style of shaping the boards, but Channel Islands uses a computer and makes a far superior board.
With that said, it comes down to two camps. The "give me the best equipment available" guys, and the "soul" guys. I have enough "soul", tyvm.
Often times with a pool cue the hit feel will depend on the type of tip. But to directly answer your question, Mcdermott has the "softest" hit of any cue I've ever played with.

Last edited by DecentShot; 03-02-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Old
  (#3)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
That verbiage is a throwback before we had low deflection and carbon fiber shafts. So "hits a ton" simply translates to stiff. Higher end cuemakers made it a race for stiffest hit.
Its a lot like (I know this analogy is a little left field but it works) surfboards. Sure a guy could work his whole life developing his own legendary style of shaping the boards, but Channel Islands uses a computer and makes a far superior board.
With that said, it comes down to two camps. The "give me the best equipment available" guys, and the "soul" guys. I have enough "soul", tyvm.
Often times with a pool cue the hit feel will depend on the type of tip. But to directly answer your question, Mcdermott has the "softest" hit of any cue I've ever played with.
I second that - McDermott

Old
  (#4)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-02-2020, 02:55 PM

The first thing to examine is the brand tip you are using, how much tip remains, and what’s its hardness?

Tips will vary a great deal from brand to brand, especially so with the hardness. A long time ago someone
came up with a tip hardness chart and it contained information I considered interesting, as well as helpful.
The tip is what makes initial contact with the cue ball & how hard it is has a huge significance on the feel.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#5)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
You a surfer?

Old
  (#6)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

03-02-2020, 03:06 PM

The idea of hitting a ball "SOFT" is easy with any Cue, the only thing it take two things. Thought and not hitting the ball like a banger.

Think about what what you want to accomplish with each shot, plan what you thought about, then execute it.

Most people talk about practicing, the but is playing is not practicing

Work on your weaknesses, like shooting soft. It actually hard. Someone told me long ago thing about how men 360 degree revolutions it take to move the Cue ball from Position A at strat of shot, to Position B were you want it at end of shot.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#7)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Some shafts "sing." Some shafts "tunk." Take a handfull of shafts and drop them one-at-a-time on a hardwood floor. The one that "sings" will hit crisp. My remarks are TOTALLY subjective. Results may vary widely.

Old
  (#8)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
You a surfer?
Yes sir, 22 years now. I even have "surfer's ear." Apparently cold water "promotes" bone growth.

Old
  (#9)
j13smiley
AzB Silver Member
j13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond reputej13smiley has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
A long time ago someone
came up with a tip hardness chart and it contained information I considered interesting, as well as helpful.
Anyone have a link to this? Was it a thread here?

Cue Tip Hardness Ratings
Old
  (#10)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

Cue Tip Hardness Ratings - 03-02-2020, 03:48 PM

j13 smiley,

I checked my computer's pool related documents library; this is what I was referring to.
It's by no means complete and likely a little outdated as well but it's all I could locate.

Matt B.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Cue tip_hardness_chart.pdf (81.2 KB, 80 views)

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Last edited by Bavafongoul; 03-02-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Neglected to include cue tip hardness attachment

Old
  (#11)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 04:17 PM

I can not say that I can get this down to an operational definition

,but I prefer a cue with stiff shafts and a soft hit

Sometimes I confuse the two in my thinking

I never like a hard hit,it feels so unresponsive and cold

After playing the very best players and discussing things like this with friends
well respected in the pool industry
I can not say that I could actually offer you one solid piece of advice

A funny thing is that as poor as i play ,i seem to know when a cue hits good,
more knowledgible people have often laughed at my uncanny ability to pick
good hitting cues

All i ever did was either pick it up and hit it or order to the specs of cues that I liked before

Soft anf firm seems to describe what I like

Old
  (#12)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 05:40 PM

McDermott from the 90s hit soft- I don't know about other McDermotts. I had a flat faced non ivory jointed Capone cue 2003 - a six pointer that hit soft - both cues had Moori soft tips back then.

Old
  (#13)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

03-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
j13 smiley,

I checked my computer's pool related documents library; this is what I was referring to.
It's by no means complete and likely a little outdated as well but it's all I could locate.

Matt B.
I appreciate the file that shows hardness, but as I am looking at it, it lists Le Pro as 78, and Tiger Sniper as 78 as well.

But I really doubt it, there's absolutely no way that Le Pro's are the same as Sniper in hardness, these are the only two tips that I play with and based on my own feeling, it is clear that Sniper is soft, while the Le Pro upon installation is a little hard, but not too hard, then few sets in and it feels like rock hard.

To me, and again this is just how I feel.

Sniper -- Soft to medium
Le Pro -- Hard.

So is my feeling wrong? or is the list wrong? we can't both be right.

Old
  (#14)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

03-02-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbani View Post
I appreciate the file that shows hardness, but as I am looking at it, it lists Le Pro as 78, and Tiger Sniper as 78 as well.

But I really doubt it, there's absolutely no way that Le Pro's are the same as Sniper in hardness, these are the only two tips that I play with and based on my own feeling, it is clear that Sniper is soft, while the Le Pro upon installation is a little hard, but not too hard, then few sets in and it feels like rock hard.

To me, and again this is just how I feel.

Sniper -- Soft to medium
Le Pro -- Hard.

So is my feeling wrong? or is the list wrong? we can't both be right.
I did a little google search, and it seems that this list got it right.

https://www.pooldawg.com/article/poo...-cue-tip-guide

Old
  (#15)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2020, 05:53 PM

This scale for tip hardness can be found in Mueller's catalog.
These tips are rated on a scale of 1 (softest) to 4 (hardest).
Individual tips vary.

Elk Master: 1
Blue Knight: 1
Royal Oak: 2
Triumph: 2.5
Chandivert Match: 2.5
Triangle: 3.5
Chandivert Crown: 3.5
Chandivert Champion: 3.5
Le Pro: 3
Chandivert Rocky: 4

Page 1 of 2 1 2