Old
  (#1)
Triggerhippy
Registered
Triggerhippy is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Foot contact with floor - 02-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Consider this:

Your teammate is breaking in the case game of your league’s championship match. He crushes it, sending several balls to holes, leaving what appears to be an easy out for the win. A member of the opposite team jumps out of his chair, loudly declaring, “foul! He didn’t have at least one foot on the floor!”
As it turns out, that player was video recording the break, and sure enough, upon review of the footage (no pun intended), it is indeed quite evident that, a la DeLuna, both of the breaker’s feet were well off the floor. The referee (who’s never liked you anyway cuz of that thing with his ex-wife) declares a foul, awarding the other team ball in hand.
Is this a possible scenario?
To anyone’s knowledge has this ever happened?
When a breaker entirely leaves the floor like this does termination of contact only occur AFTER contact with the cueball?
Enquiring minds wanna know.

”Well, at least you had a nice bird’s-eye view of it not going in.”
Mikey V

Some of my best friends are cheese.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-07-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhippy View Post
When a breaker entirely leaves the floor like this does termination of contact only occur AFTER contact with the cueball?
The rule says that a foot has to be in contact with the floor at the instant of tip-ball contact. Maybe it needs to be revised to say that it is a foul only if the table is supporting the majority of the player's weight.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Triggerhippy
Registered

02-07-2020, 05:52 PM

An interesting distinction.
Also cool that you are the first one to reply. I remember watching some of your old videos where you make some crazy, seemingly impossible shots and noticed you’re the only person I’ve ever seen with the same grey leather butterfly case that I’ve had for a couple decades.
Thank you for your reply.

Mikey V

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
An interesting distinction.
Also cool that you are the first one to reply. I remember watching some of your old videos where you make some crazy, seemingly impossible shots and noticed you’re the only person I’ve ever seen with the same grey leather butterfly case that I’ve had for a couple decades.
Thank you for your reply.
That case fell apart some time ago. I now have a black cloth butterfly case.

At one point the BCA rules were revised to "clarify" the hoof-in-the-hay rule. The new wording was broken and actually said that you were allowed to have only one foot in contact with the floor during the shot. I think that lasted a couple of years before better rhetoricians prevailed.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
Triggerhippy
Registered

02-07-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
That case fell apart some time ago. I now have a black cloth butterfly case.

At one point the BCA rules were revised to "clarify" the hoof-in-the-hay rule. The new wording was broken and actually said that you were allowed to have only one foot in contact with the floor during the shot. I think that lasted a couple of years before better rhetoricians prevailed.
That’s funny.

Mikey V

Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Consider this:

Your teammate is breaking in the case game of your league’s championship match. He crushes it, sending several balls to holes, leaving what appears to be an easy out for the win. A member of the opposite team jumps out of his chair, loudly declaring, “foul! He didn’t have at least one foot on the floor!”
As it turns out, that player was video recording the break, and sure enough, upon review of the footage (no pun intended), it is indeed quite evident that, a la DeLuna, both of the breaker’s feet were well off the floor. The referee (who’s never liked you anyway cuz of that thing with his ex-wife) declares a foul, awarding the other team ball in hand.
Is this a possible scenario?
To anyone’s knowledge has this ever happened?
I have had quite a few times when I slipped after a shot I was stretching for and both feet left the table after the shot on the follow through, never had anyone call a foul on that. Does seem something like a league player would try to call a foul on though LOL seems half of them are just worried about handicaps and the other half are trying to win by messing with the rules.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2020, 03:38 PM

Unless you're gambling in New Orleans. They get up on the table and crawl around down there.