Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Snooker
Reload this Page BOOKS on Snooker

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
BOOKS on Snooker
Old
  (#1)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

BOOKS on Snooker - 10-02-2016, 07:06 AM

Hello, AZB snooker fans around the globe.

Here is a listing of the current book titles I have in my personal cue sports library that focus exclusively on snooker, and I would like your thoughts on titles you would consider good to essential that be added if it were up to you.

Which autobiographies have you read that are great reads?

If there are any of the titles I have listed here that you'd like information on or a review or pictures of any content, don't hesitate asking and I'll share everything I have and know.

Thanks everyone!

K.

Arnold, Peter - Snooker, Pool & Billiards; 1987; 1st edition; hardcover

Charlton, Eddie - Winning Snooker; 1976; 1st edition; hardcover

Clark, Gary - A Billiards & Snooker Compendium; 2008

Davis, Joe - How I Play Snooker; 1975; paperback

Davis, Joe - Improve Your Snooker; 1956 reprinted edition; ex library; hardcover

Davis, Steve - Interesting, My Autobiography; 2016; paperback

Everton, Clive - Black Farce & Cue Ball Wizards; 2012; expanded and updated edition; paperback

Everton, Clive - The History Of Snooker And Billiards; 1986; hardcover

Everton, Clive & Spencer, John - Teach Yourself Snooker;

Griffiths, Terry and Everton, Clive - Championship Snooker;

Hamlyn, Paul - Pool Snooker & Billiards; 1974; 1st edition

Hendry, Stephen - Snooker Masterclass; 1996; paperback

Holt, Richard - Teach Yourself Billiards And Snooker; 1983; 8th edition; paperback

Morrison, Ian - The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Snooker; 1987; hardcover

O'Sullivan, Ronnie - The Autobiography Of Ronnie O'Sullivan; 2004

Rafferty, Jean - The Cruel Game: The Inside Story Of Snooker; 1983

Reardon, Ray - Classic Snooker; 1977; 2nd edition; hardcover

Richler, Mordecai - On Snooker; 2001; 1st edition

Spencer, John - Spencer On Snooker; 1st edition; hardcover

Spencer, John - Teach Yourself Snooker; 1993; paperback; ex library

Thorburn, Cliff - Cliff Thorburn's Snooker Skills - A Step By Step Guide To Winning Play; 1991

Thorne, Willie - Double Or Quits: The Willie Thorne Story; 2004; 1st edition; hardcover; AUTOGRAPHED

Thorne, Willie - Taking A Punt On My Life, 2011; hardcover

Virgo, John - Amazing Snooker Trick Shots; 2012 NEW

Williams, Luke - Masters Of The Baize; 2005; 1st printing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by K2Kraze; 10-04-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Library !
Old
  (#2)
church66
AzB Silver Member
church66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond reputechurch66 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up Library ! - 10-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
Hello, AZB snooker fans around the globe.

Here is a listing of the current book titles I have in my personal cue sports library that focus exclusively on snooker, and I would like your thoughts on titles you would consider good to essential that be added if it were up to you.

Which autobiographies have you read that are great reads?

If there are any of the titles I have listed here that you'd like information on or a review or pictures of any content, don't hesitate asking and I'll share everything I have and know.

Thanks everyone!

K.

Arnold, Peter - Snooker, Pool & Billiards; 1987; 1st edition; hardcover

Charlton, Eddie - Winning Snooker; 1976; 1st edition; hardcover

Clark, Gary - A Billiards & Snooker Compendium; 2008

Davis, Joe - How I Play Snooker; 1975; paperback

Davis, Joe - Improve Your Snooker; 1956 reprinted edition; ex library; hardcover

Davis, Steve - Interesting, My Autobiography; 2016; paperback

Everton, Clive - Black Farce & Cue Ball Wizards; 2012; expanded and updated edition; paperback

Everton, Clive - The History Of Snooker And Billiards; 1986; hardcover

Everton, Clive & Spencer, John - Teach Yourself Snooker;

Griffiths, Terry and Everton, Clive - Championship Snooker;

Hamlyn, Paul - Pool Snooker & Billiards; 1974; 1st edition

Hendry, Stephen - Snooker Masterclass; 1996; paperback

Holt, Richard - Teach Yourself Billiards And Snooker; 1983; 8th edition; paperback

Morrison, Ian - The Hamlyn Encyclopedia of Snooker; 1987; hardcover

Rafferty, Jean - The Cruel Game: The Inside Story Of Snooker; 1983

Reardon, Ray - Classic Snooker; 1977; 2nd edition; hardcover

Richler, Mordecai - On Snooker; 2001; 1st edition

Spencer, John - Spencer On Snooker; 1st edition; hardcover

Spencer, John - Teach Yourself Snooker; 1993; paperback; ex library

Thornburn, Cliff - Cliff Thornburn's Snooker Skills - A Step By Step Guide To Winning Play; 1991

Thorne, Willie - Double Or Quits: The Willie Thorne Story; 2004; 1st edition; hardcover; AUTOGRAPHED

Thorne, Willie - Taking A Punt On My Life, 2011; hardcover

Virgo, John - Amazing Snooker Trick Shots; 2012 NEW

Williams, Luke - Masters Of The Baize; 2005; 1st printing

Great list my friend , always good to meet a fellow memorabilia collector !

That's a good list of books you have there !

When I get lucky at Da' Bookies I treat myself to some USA Billiards , next to impossible to find these thing's out here in the UK , thanks for sharing my friend !

BOOKS on Snooker
Old
  (#3)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member
K2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond reputeK2Kraze has a reputation beyond repute

BOOKS on Snooker - 10-02-2016, 06:54 PM

My thanks to you across the miles in Scotland, church66. Much appreciated.

You certainly have been surrounded with many amazing cueist hailing from Scotland, church66, and these Scottish boys remain many of my personal favorites to watch every chance I get. The likes of Messrs. Hendry, Dott, Higgins, McManus and the new boy destined for greatness, Anthony McGill (to name only a few of the greats) will certainly please any snooker fan :-)

As for books focusing on snooker, many of the tittles I have listed above, I had to actually purchase from a few wonderful folks in the U.K. willing to pass them along to the next owner - which is why I'm also willing to share anything I can about book titles or content with fellow snooker enthusiasts within this area of the forum.

Are there any titles you have, sir, or ones on a wish list perhaps that I can look into adding to my own library? Your suggestions would be welcomed.

Anyone else willing to chime in?

K.

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2016, 07:28 PM

Being an old-timer who learned billiards along with snooker, I think it's fair to include books from the various Robertses and Tom Reece who still holds the record for most consecutive successful shots in a cue sport.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

10-03-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Being an old-timer who learned billiards along with snooker, I think it's fair to include books from the various Robertses and Tom Reece who still holds the record for most consecutive successful shots in a cue sport.

Always great to see you post up, Bob. Your thoughts and suggestions on various topics within the cue sports genre I value immensely.

The Roberts's indeed. Charles and John. And Mr Reece. Those boys are definitely must have authors within the billiards category on my library shelf, and I'd like to find copies in better condition than the ones I have currently with them, so if you have extra copies that you'd like to pass along to me, please shoot me a PM - I'm always interested in filling gaps to my collection.

As for this particular thread, I'm sticking solely to the Snooker category and only posted up those titles to see whatever great must-have titles others would suggest having. What are your thoughts on the Snooker genre additions that I really ought to consider so that when someone is browsing my shelves, they can't resist pulling down for a visit? Perhaps get them interested in the game to prompt more study.

Thanks, Bob!

K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#6)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2016, 08:03 AM

CLIFF THORBURN

There is no "N" in the middle.

Quite often I have seen Cliff's name misspelled on tournament sheets....
...Cliff would never say anything but I know he appreciates it when I bring it to their
attention.....I tell them that Cliff Thorburn is the greatest snooker player that came out
of Canada and I think his name should be spelled correctly.

In Scotland, a river is a 'burn'....Thorburn translates to 'River of Thor'

.....or you can call him "The Grinder"....

pt....end of rant

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

10-03-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
CLIFF THORBURN

There is no "N" in the middle.

Quite often I have seen Cliff's name misspelled on tournament sheets....

...Cliff would never say anything but I know he appreciates it when I bring it to their

attention.....I tell them that Cliff Thorburn is the greatest snooker player that came out

of Canada and I think his name should be spelled correctly.

In Scotland, a river is a 'burn'....Thorburn translates to 'River of Thor'

.....or you can call him "The Grinder"....

pt....end of rant

Thank you most sincerely, sir, for bringing that error to my attention. It's a travesty of sorts misspelling someone's name and I'll pay closer attention as I peruse my entire list..

I really can't believe it slipped by me all this time --- and upon closer inspection I see that the autocorrect cheated me as I went to correct it just now in my library sheets.

Mr. Thorburn it is.

Thanks again, pt.

K.

Old
  (#8)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kraze View Post
Thank you most sincerely, sir, for bringing that error to my attention. It's a travesty of sorts misspelling someone's name and I'll pay closer attention as I peruse my entire list..

I really can't believe it slipped by me all this time --- and upon closer inspection I see that the autocorrect cheated me as I went to correct it just now in my library sheets.

Mr. Thorburn it is.

Thanks again, pt.

K.

Liking this thread a lot....got some books I'm going to look through....
...one of them is a rare self-published by an old friend.
....when i get home....

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Snooker Books A thru Bau
Old
  (#9)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

Snooker Books A thru Bau - 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Here are some pictures of some of my snooker books. I'll start with the A's.

Peter Arnold, small handbook
Name:  ArnoldSnookerPoolBilliards.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  82.9 KB

Arnold, Large pictorial
Name:  ArnoldSnookerSm.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  111.5 KB

Arnold, similar pictorial but different
Name:  ArnoldSnookerTodaySm.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  121.3 KB

Baeten and Clarke, Dutch
Name:  Baeten.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  148.8 KB

Bauwens, Dutch and French
Name:  Bauwens2.jpg
Size:  98.1 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Snooker Books BSCC thru Bills
Old
  (#10)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

Snooker Books BSCC thru Bills - 10-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Snooker book pictures continued...

Billiards and Snooker Control Council, a few old rule books

Name:  BilSCC-AFewRules.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  113.5 KB

Know The Game booklets, from the B&SCC

Name:  BilSCCKnowTheGame.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  104.1 KB

B&SCC old minutes reprint

Name:  BilSCC-OldMinutes.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  105.0 KB

Peter Bills, for viewers not players

Name:  Bills.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  96.0 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Snooker Books Boru and Bo'sun
Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

Snooker Books Boru and Bo'sun - 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM

Boru, small-format book

Name:  Boru.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  104.2 KB

"The Bos'un", from 1947, a pseudonym of Osworth and Beeson

Name:  Bosun.jpg
Size:  99.4 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 10-03-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Old
  (#12)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

10-03-2016, 02:18 PM

What a great posting of books pics, Bob! Thank you for sharing.

Exactly what I was looking for --- new ideas and treasures to go after that belong on the dedicated SNOOKER shelf in the library.

K.

Old
  (#13)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

10-03-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Liking this thread a lot....got some books I'm going to look through....

...one of them is a rare self-published by an old friend.

....when i get home....

Now you've got my attention ---- after the misspelling blunder that is :-)

What is this self-published gem you speak of?

Old
  (#14)
daniel
AzB Silver Member
daniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond reputedaniel has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2016, 04:52 AM

hi, john virgos book on alex higgins. both ronnie osullivan autobiographies. ken doherty autobiography. several alex higgins biographies. dennis taylor on snooker. also theres a cliff thorburn autobiography i also have and a good read especially his early days hustlin in the US. He played pretty sporty pool also. cheers

Old
  (#15)
K2Kraze
AzB Gold Member

10-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Thank you for your recommendations, daniel.

I'm looking forward to reading John Virgo's storytelling account on Alex - I've always enjoyed his match commentaries and find him to be one of the best as well as quite entertaining.

I do have Ronnie's books which I read through a few years ago and just forgot to include on my previous list and found those read times well spent indeed. Everyone has a story and Ronnie is always surprising us with something new, isn't he?

I will get the others on my treasure hunt list for sure, but the one I have a question on - if you have the chance - is the biography on Canada's very own Cliff "The Grinder" Thorburn that you mentioned. Is that his Playing For Keeps title?

Thanks again, daniel!

K.