Reload this Page Why so few?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Why so few?
Old
  (#1)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

Why so few? - 09-01-2016, 07:29 AM

Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.

Old
  (#2)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-01-2016, 07:34 AM

I hadn't thought about doing it.

I'm not sure I even knew about it.

Funny thing is, I was reading the thread about it just before this one. I thought as I read that thread, "Maybe I'll do that this fall."

That's all I got, Neil.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#3)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 07:49 AM

I'm pretty much like Jeff. Didn't really know about it.
Hang in there my friend.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#4)
sbpoolleague
AzB Silver Member
sbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond reputesbpoolleague has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 08:02 AM

As a Fargo 553 I have absolutely NO chance (zero, zilch) of winning. I might as well spend an hour driving behind an armored car hoping the doors fly open and money falls out.

The challenges are good practice and I have tried a few, but I am not going to go through the trouble of videoing myself. I'm fairly savvy on the technology side but I would need help doing the video. Perhaps this is the chief reason most don't participate.

Old
  (#5)
Shawn Armstrong
Abooboo No Neck
Shawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond reputeShawn Armstrong has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 08:05 AM

I have other things in my life that require my attention on a daily basis.

Old
  (#6)
Flip_dat_Quarta
Banned
Flip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond reputeFlip_dat_Quarta has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 09:17 AM

I don't support Dr. Dave therefore I didn't submit an entry.

Old
  (#7)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Neil,

Thank you for posting this. I too was a little surprised by how few people participated, especially at the pro level, given that the entry was free and the payout was decent (for the amount of time required to run through the Exams).

For those who don't know what Neil is talking about, here's the pertinent AZB thread:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge thread

And here's the website that has all of the scores and videos:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge website

Some reasons why I personally think participation was low are:

1.) We offered only 1st-place prizes. We did this to offer the largest money prize amounts possible, but this probably scared some people off since it was an all-or-nothing proposition.

2.) Side Pocket posted extremely strong scores very early in the competition. Anybody who has tried the BU playing-ability exams before knew those scores would be nearly impossible to beat.

3.) Many people don't have the know-how or desire to record video and post it on YouTube.

4.) It takes a lot of time, effort, practice, and focus to do well in the BU Exams. Many people (maybe even some pros) don't have the kind of discipline and drive required to achieve top scores.

Live and learn,
Dave

PS: If people still want to try the exams and share their scores (and videos if available), as many other AZB users have, they can do so on the AZB BU thread. Then they can see how they stack up against others on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.

Old
  (#8)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_dat_Quarta View Post
I don't support Dr. Dave therefore I didn't submit an entry.
If you "don't support me," wouldn't you want to try to get some of my money?

FYI, I didn't offer the money and challenge for people to "show support" for me.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by dr_dave; 09-01-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Old
  (#9)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 09:33 AM

I am but a lowly recreational player who enjoys his small amount of progress. I know I would fail the exam miserably.

Also, do not have the technology to support making a video...

Old
  (#10)
BurritoBandido
AzB Silver Member
BurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond reputeBurritoBandido has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Ego, that would be my guess.

Old
  (#11)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

09-01-2016, 09:42 AM

Neil,

Out of sight, out of mind for some I suppose.

As for me, I went two and out this past weekend in Tallahassee, Florida. I couldn't beat you Neil. Oh well, you reminded some people out there.

There's always Lacy's Cue tonight at 8:00 pm SHARP.

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#12)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

09-01-2016, 09:52 AM

I just thought of a fifth reason:

5.) Some people like to "Talk the Talk" but not "Walk the Talk."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Neil,

Thank you for posting this. I too was a little surprised by how few people participated, especially at the pro level, given that the entry was free and the payout was decent (for the amount of time required to run through the Exams).

For those who don't know what Neil is talking about, here's the pertinent AZB thread:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge thread

And here's the website that has all of the scores and videos:

$2500 BU Playing-Ability-Exam Challenge website

Some reasons why I personally think participation was low are:

1.) We offered only 1st-place prizes. We did this to offer the largest money prize amounts possible, but this probably scared some people off since it was an all-or-nothing proposition.

2.) Side Pocket posted extremely strong scores very early in the competition. Anybody who has tried the BU playing-ability exams before knew those scores would be nearly impossible to beat.

3.) Many people don't have the know-how or desire to record video and post it on YouTube.

4.) It takes a lot of time, effort, practice, and focus to do well in the BU Exams. Many people (maybe even some pros) don't have the kind of discipline and drive required to achieve top scores.

Live and learn,
Dave

PS: If people still want to try the exams and share their scores (and videos if available), as many other AZB users have, they can do so on the AZB BU thread. Then they can see how they stack up against others on the forum.

Last edited by dr_dave; 01-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Old
  (#13)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 10:05 AM

I didn't know about it until I saw this thread.

Old
  (#14)
mattkenefick
AzB Silver Member
mattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond reputemattkenefick has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 10:53 AM

I live in the city where you don't have private access to a table. I could go to a hall on off hours, but still wouldn't have anything to record it on.

ChalkySticks

Find your felt.
iOS | Android | Windows
https://www.chalkysticks.com

Find player and tables. Create diagrams. Watch matches.

Old
  (#15)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

09-01-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
I just thought of a fifth reason:

5.) Some people like "Talk the Talk" but not "Walk the Talk."
I do think a few were probably put off by the Side Pocket guys scores.
I also think 90% is the walkey talkey answer.
You have done a lot for the pool game Dave, I can't see how anyone could have a problem with what you do.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »