Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Pocket Shape Question

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Pocket Shape Question
Old
  (#1)
Sloppy Pockets
AzB Silver Member
Sloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Pocket Shape Question - 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM

I asked this question on the instructors forum and was told I might get a more definitive answer here.

"Do pockets with parallel sides makes it easier or harder to pocket balls than tapered pockets (pockets that are wider at the opening than at the back)?"

I seem to have seen several references here and elsewhere that narrow Diamond pockets are made even harder by the straight sides. That seems counterintuitive to me, but what do I know about table design?

My A. E. Schmidt Pro 8 table has 5" openings but they taper to only 4 1/8" at the back. They rattle a lot of balls out and it is very frustrating. To make it worse, the pocket shelves are 1 7/8" deep, with very little roll-off at the shelf edge. I can place a ball right at the shelf edge and the entire ball will be completely inside of the points.

Also, the leather pocket backs themselves have hard points that are a ridiculously narrow 3 7/8" across. Hit one of those on the way in and the ball spits right back out. I'm bad enough as it is without having to miss well-hit shots all the time.

I'm thinking of having the table worked on by a better mechanic. Any suggestions you might make?

Old
  (#2)
Crash
Pool Hall Owner
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2012, 12:23 PM

I'm not a mechanic but I will say that your instructor should know that "tapered pockets" are more apt to rattle a ball hit fast down the rail than "parallell" pockets. Somebody else will give you a more thorough lesson in pocket angles and shelf depth but in the mean time read this on AZBilliards:

http://www.azbilliards.com/rogerlong/roger2.php

Old
  (#3)
Sloppy Pockets
AzB Silver Member
Sloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond reputeSloppy Pockets has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I'm not a mechanic but I will say that your instructor should know that "tapered pockets" are more apt to rattle a ball hit fast down the rail than "parallell" pockets. Somebody else will give you a more thorough lesson in pocket angles and shelf depth but in the mean time read this on AZBilliards:

http://www.azbilliards.com/rogerlong/roger2.php
Thanks for the link.

BTW it wasn't my personal instructor, but one on the instructor forum here. Bob Jewett did answer and said exactly what you are saying. I'm just here trying to figure what I should do about this, or if I should just leave the table as it is and deal with it. In most other ways, the table plays just fine for my needs.