Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Bees wax ?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Bees wax ?
Old
  (#1)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Bees wax ? - 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM

My son recently moved my Brunswick Sport King to his house. (with my permission) He 'sealed' the 2 seams with Bees Wax. The problem is that it appears to have impregnated the cloth as the seam area is visible. It is level. There is not a ridge between to pieces but the underlying wax is 'visible' due to a darkening of the cloth in that area. Is there a simple solution or did he ruin the cloth?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Table
Old
  (#2)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Table - 09-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Is it possible that the cloth got flipped and is now upside down?
The wax shows on the bottom side of the cloth unless he ironed the cloth after he was all done and wicked with wax up into the cloth.

Old
  (#3)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

09-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlitethat View Post
Is it possible that the cloth got flipped and is now upside down?
The wax shows on the bottom side of the cloth unless he ironed the cloth after he was all done and wicked with wax up into the cloth.
Thanks,

It's not upside down & he did not iron it. Is it possible that he putt the cloth on before the wax hardened & it wicked up into the cloth? If so is there a solution?

Rick

Table
Old
  (#4)
ROB.M
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

Table - 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM

He had to of used a ton of wax or you live in a oven, I have never heard or seen of wax wicking up to the top of the cloth unless it was caused by heat

Old
  (#5)
Jim Vondrell
Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Jim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2012, 05:55 PM

Unless he used the wax from a waxring that plumbers use for a toilet, that might cause the described.

Old
  (#6)
tsp&b
AzB Silver Member
tsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vondrell View Post
Unless he used the wax from a waxring that plumbers use for a toilet, that might cause the described.

That sounds like it could be about right.

Todd

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
http://www.midamericapool.com

Old
  (#7)
Jim Vondrell
Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Jim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond reputeJim Vondrell has a reputation beyond repute

09-28-2012, 06:45 PM

That stuff stays greasy and sticky forever, in 13 years ive seen 2 tables where that was used and it was a mess and almost impossible to get off.

Summers are hot New Orleans !
Old
  (#8)
ENGLISH!
Banned

Summers are hot New Orleans ! - 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM

No, he did not use the 'wax' from a toilet ring. It was Bee's Wax. The wax is not showing through. The cloth it just darker.

Thanks for the sarcasm & no help.
Rick

Table
Old
  (#9)
ROB.M

Table - 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Take a pool ball in hand and press down on the cloth with it, while pressing down skid the ball around the table. Go over the seam area with the ball. I'm sure you will find the seam and if there is any excess wax in it.
It takes a lot of work to get the seam blended to to unable to find or feel the seam with a pool ball, especially using bees wax in a seam
-
I have seen stripes on the bottom of the cloth from the wax... Never on top

Last edited by ROB.M; 09-29-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Huh

Old
  (#10)
ENGLISH!
Banned

09-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlitethat View Post
Take a pool ball in hand and press down on the cloth with it, while pressing down skid the ball around the table. Go over the seam area with the ball. I'm sure you will find the seam and if there is any excess wax in it.
It takes a lot of work to get the seam blended to to unable to find or feel the seam with a pool ball, especially using bees wax in a seam
-
I have seen stripes on the bottom of the cloth from the wax... Never on top
Thanks,

I think he put too much wax on and feathered out 'too' far & maybe put the cloth on too soon. The wax is not coming through but the cloth is darker in a 3 to 4" wide misc. 'wave' as if it would be if something wet were spilled on it, but it's not. It plays fine & you can not feel or see the actual seem, it's just the darker color.

Thanks again
Rick

Old
  (#11)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-29-2012, 04:30 PM

sounds like if the aestheics are not pleasing put another cloth on
if it plays fine and thats all you care about accept the warts and play
im not a mechanic so take my opinion fwiw

Old
  (#12)
tsp&b
AzB Silver Member
tsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
No, he did not use the 'wax' from a toilet ring. It was Bee's Wax. The wax is not showing through. The cloth it just darker.

Thanks for the sarcasm & no help.
Rick
Rick,

It was not meant as sarcasm. Bees wax comes in many different forms. from a creamy soft paste to a semi-soft form (like the soft BEES WAX ring that is used by plumbers to seal the base of toilets) to the "hard" stiff blocks and sticks that are the type used by table mechanics. I have seen several DIY jobs where the individual used the wrong type of wax and got the exact results that you are describing.

Sorry if our comments came off the wrong way.

Todd

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
http://www.midamericapool.com

I agree with tsp&b, the main question would be,
Old
  (#13)
acedonkeyace
AzB Silver Member
acedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond reputeacedonkeyace has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Smile I agree with tsp&b, the main question would be, - 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM

the slate table wax, comes in a solid block form and must be heated and melted and then poured into the seams and flowed out from there, then as the wax hardens, you shave the wax to a perfect level and the wax is then solid again and will not move or leach.

If this type of wax was not used, then there are many, 'bees waxes' that could have been used and laid onto the slate, and then smoothed out like lathe and plaster or a dry-wall job and it might look perfect initially, but when it comes in contact with the cloth or felt, then the other components in the wax can leach into the bed covering and leave marks and dark spots as you have mentioned.

As to the solution, if it was a quality high end, like gornita or simonis cloth, then you might be able to remove the cloth and clean with a cleaning solvent of some type and re-install, but I cannot guarnatee the results and you should contact the make of your bed cloth for cleaning products that are successful.

Hope this helps, in the future, if you are not positive, I would go with a professional, the cost to install is minimal if you figure the amount of enjoyment you will get with a top-notch professional installation and finish, just my opinion,

Good Luck

Mike 'acedonkeyace' Kennedy

Old
  (#14)
ENGLISH!
Banned

09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsp&b View Post
Rick,

It was not meant as sarcasm. Bees wax comes in many different forms. from a creamy soft paste to a semi-soft form (like the soft BEES WAX ring that is used by plumbers to seal the base of toilets) to the "hard" stiff blocks and sticks that are the type used by table mechanics. I have seen several DIY jobs where the individual used the wrong type of wax and got the exact results that you are describing.

Sorry if our comments came off the wrong way.
No problem, seems it was my fault for not knowing my Bee's Wax. And my son's too as I believe he did use a paste type. If he did, is there anything that can be done to force or get the wax out of the cloth or should it be left alone til time for recover? Can cold glass like a frozen mug do anyting or a hair dryer & a vacum cleaner do something?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Old
  (#15)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

09-30-2012, 07:32 AM

I am not a mechanic, but I would suggest that if you ever redo the table again, to use Bondo for the seam and not Bee's wax.

That is what was used on my table by RKC.

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
Background Verified
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister