Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Snooker
Reload this Page Rail position critical or does it identify cloth direction

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Rail position critical or does it identify cloth direction
Old
  (#1)
seb1899
AzB Silver Member
seb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond reputeseb1899 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Rail position critical or does it identify cloth direction - 08-16-2011, 01:23 PM

I understand the rails on an english snooker table are numbered clock wise from the 'D' end with this rail being 1 and looking down the table at the black spot the left corner to side is 2 and the next side to corner is 3 and the black spot end rail is 4 and the right corner to side is 5 and the right side to corner is 6.

The nap (grain) on the side rails is to follow the nap on the bed cloth which is D end to black spot.

My question is the numbering on the rails table specific ie black spot end rail MUST be 4 or is the numbering just to identify location so the nap is running in the correct direction. If the rails are mounted in incorrect order will it really affect play?

I took the aprons off my table and the rails are not in the correct positions, the ends are opposite and position 6 is occupied by the rail that is identified as 3.

I knew the nap was wrong but I will be recovering next year so is it something I should sort out at recover time or should the rails be in the position the factory intended?

If the numbering is table specific I will ask the table mechanic to come back and position them correctly but if it is just to identify cloth 'nap' direction I will sort it out at recover time. Time is money and I do not want to be a horses ass if it is not necessary structually.

Last edited by seb1899; 08-16-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: more comment

Old
  (#2)
Alan Morris
U.S. Snooker Association
Alan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Morris has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb1899 View Post
I understand the rails on an english snooker table are numbered clock wise from the 'D' end with this rail being 1 and looking down the table at the black spot the left corner to side is 2 and the next side to corner is 3 and the black spot end rail is 4 and the right corner to side is 5 and the right side to corner is 6.

The nap (grain) on the side rails is to follow the nap on the bed cloth which is D end to black spot.

My question is the numbering on the rails table specific ie black spot end rail MUST be 4 or is the numbering just to identify location so the nap is running in the correct direction. If the rails are mounted in incorrect order will it really affect play?

I took the aprons off my table and the rails are not in the correct positions, the ends are opposite and position 6 is occupied by the rail that is identified as 3.

I knew the nap was wrong but I will be recovering next year so is it something I should sort out at recover time or should the rails be in the position the factory intended?

If the numbering is table specific I will ask the table mechanic to come back and position them correctly but if it is just to identify cloth 'nap' direction I will sort it out at recover time. Time is money and I do not want to be a horses ass if it is not necessary structually.
Hi there,

I would suggest that you do put on the cushions in the correct numbered order, so you get the direction of the nap on the cushions the correct way.

It probably doesn't make any difference to how the ball rebounds off the cushion, but it seems to be the traditional way that the direction of the nap on the side cushions runs from the bottom of the table ("D" end) to the top of the table ("black spot" end"), just the same as the direction of the cloth.

The direction of the cloth on the bottom cushion runs towards the green ball side, and to the yellow side on the top cushion.

Best wishes.

Alan.