Reload this Page Pat Howey
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Pat Howey
Old
  (#1)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
Pat Howey - 04-23-2009, 11:34 AM

To all his friends in the pool world. His three year battle with a deadly disease came to an end last night. As Pat told us, the medical profession gave him weeks to live. He demanded and took nearly three years. He fished and played pool to near the very end. Pat posted here many times. Some of you might remember him as poolshark52. Pat's Pool Shark Fishing Charters were very popular. Many top players visited Rochester to fish with him before he "retired" to Florida.

Pat was one of my mentors. His knowledge of 14.1 was surpassed locally perhaps only by Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He ran multiple hundreds many times on me. I understood his high run was over three hundred. Of the compliments I heard about Pat's game, one stood out. Mike Sigel told him his patterns were the best he'd seen. High praise indeed! Perhaps another poster knows more about Pat's tournament / gambling life. It's a very sad day for me.

Lyn

Old
  (#2)
billiard dave 7
AzB Silver Member
billiard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond reputebilliard dave 7 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-23-2009, 11:52 AM

That is sad news. I had heard that he was sick when I visited Syracuse in April. I had seen him not too long ago in Florida. He seemed fine. Sigel was right. He did play beautiful paterns. I watched and played with him many times at CM Lees.

Old
  (#3)
selftaut
straight pool nut
selftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond reputeselftaut has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 700

04-23-2009, 12:03 PM

This is very very sad news. Pat was a wonderful person and an absolute great pool player. He came to play in one of my 14.1 tournaments back in the late 80's and that was the first time I met Pat, he was warming up on a table I had just recovered and ran over 200 in practice! He finished high in the tournament only to be defeated by Jack Calovita and Mike Zuglan. Pat did not gamble a lot, but there was not a lot of players approaching him either. He was a family man and always stayed true to that. The last time we talked he did have a fond memory of a little fun gambling though, after the first night of that tourney we got a $20 ring game going with myself, Pat, Jack Calovita and Mike Zuglan, he never forgot that game as we had a blast. Pat was a total gentleman then and lived to that standard up to yesterday. Pat was one of the greatest straight pool players I ever saw, and I saw them all. Today, his suffering is over, but in the 14.1 world his legacy will always live on, as well as his inspiration as one of the USA's greatest ambasadors to straight pool EVER.

RIP my friend

Kevin Vidal

http://www.14and1.com America's only nationwide straight pool league!

Last edited by selftaut; 04-23-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Old
  (#4)
real bartram
Real Cold Steel
real bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond reputereal bartram has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac kid View Post
To all his friends in the pool world. His three year battle with a deadly disease came to an end last night. As Pat told us, the medical profession gave him weeks to live. He demanded and took nearly three years. He fished and played pool to near the very end. Pat posted here many times. Some of you might remember him as poolshark52. Pat's Pool Shark Fishing Charters were very popular. Many top players visited Rochester to fish with him before he "retired" to Florida.

Pat was one of my mentors. His knowledge of 14.1 was surpassed locally perhaps only by Mike Sigel and Irving Crane. He ran multiple hundreds many times on me. I understood his high run was over three hundred. Of the compliments I heard about Pat's game, one stood out. Mike Sigel told him his patterns were the best he'd seen. High praise indeed! Perhaps another poster knows more about Pat's tournament / gambling life. It's a very sad day for me.

Lyn
sorry to hear this.
i played pat 5 years ago or so.

"Sunday i aint bumpin rap, im bumpin Al Green. Monday i aint selling white, im selling all Green. " ~ Yo Gotti

"I'm on that grey goose, do I know you? " ~ Yo Gotti

"That was a free tip for your non-educated pool ass." ~ "Carlot" Donny Mills

"How you gonna mess with a grizzly when you're a pooh bear?" ~ Unknown rapper

Sad news
Old
  (#5)
Paul Mon
AzB Silver Member
Paul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond reputePaul Mon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 100

Sad news - 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM

Very sad news Lyn. I've had the pleasure of knowing him as a pool player and on the charter boat. He was always fun to watch and listen to. He sure liked new cloth. I remember once at Palace right after Phil recovered a table in the side room Pat ran over 200 against Mike D. That slip stroke of his was a thing of beauty. He will be missed. Many fond memories and no bad ones.

RIP

"If it was easy anyone could do it"

Old
  (#6)
skip2134
AzB Silver Member
skip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond reputeskip2134 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

I spoke with Pat and I'm quite sure his high run was 326 or somewhere very near to that. Two years ago I asked him how many times he ran over 100 and he smiled back at me with no answer. Man, what a great guy to be around. I only had the opportunity to talk to him a couple times and he left an impression on me like no other. The 14.1 world has lost one of its greats.

Old
  (#7)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Sad day, indeed. I remember Pat from Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, etc.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#8)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

04-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Pat Howey was a great man, a great player, and a great friend. He fought a courageous battle for a very long time. He is by far one of the best 14.1 players I have ever met. He was undoubtedly one of the nicest people I have ever met.

RIP, poolshark52. You will be terribly missed.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

Old
  (#9)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

04-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Here is a picture of Pat Howey at the 2007 DCC competing in the Straight Pool Challenge.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

Old
  (#10)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

04-23-2009, 03:27 PM

My condolences to friends and family. I enjoyed his posts on here, he will be missed.

rest in peace.
Old
  (#11)
oldzilla
Accu-Stats Messenger
oldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond reputeoldzilla has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1050

rest in peace. - 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM

the great pat howey has left us. i am very sorry he is not with us now but his suffering is over. i loved him like a brother and will miss him very much. he was an awsome pool player and just alot of fun to be around . he had a high run over 300 and would run 100's all the time.
he could sing very good also. bout 4 yrs ago at valley forge we all went to a kareoke bar and pat did a englebert number that got everyones attention. he was great.

gary

Old
  (#12)
GaryAR
Registered
GaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond reputeGaryAR has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2009, 05:03 PM

I watched Pat play many many times in the back Room at Classic in Rochester up until I moved away a couple years back. I only talked to him a few times and honestly had no idea how good he really was until I saw a couple threads about him here. Everything about him was definitely one-of-a-kind, from the way the cue slid in his hand to the massive amount of baby powder he used (sometimes it was literally hard to see him through the cloud around him ). He went too early and will certainly be missed.

Gary

Old
  (#13)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

This is a very sad loss. In the land of Crane, Cranfield, and Sigel, better known as Rochester, NY, Pat was among the giants.

Old
  (#14)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
04-23-2009, 08:53 PM

Bump to the top for a great player.

Lyn

Old
  (#15)
donny mills
AzB Silver Member
donny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond reputedonny mills has a reputation beyond repute

04-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Dam I'm sorry to hear that. Pat and I played quite a few times in the past.

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »