Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 100 ball run in Straight Pool on a Bar Table
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-23-2020, 04:11 PM

Your 14.1 runs will generally come to an end on a 9-footer due to missed positioning leading to a missed harder than necessary shot, failing to set up a high percentage break shot, or leaving yourself an extremely tough shot following the break shot.

By contrast, your runs are more likely to end on a 7-footer due to slightly missed more exacting positioning requirements on the considerably smaller table surface, leaving you no shot or an extremely tough shot.

Old
  (#17)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2020, 08:16 AM

Please expound/elucidate: Playing 14.1 correctly on a bar table versus any other regulation table; Playing 14.1 incorrectly on a bar table; Very Interesting?[/QUOTE]

I've never played 14.1 on a barbox but my guess would be break open some balls and run them before you re-break the stack. On a 9 ft table that is a good rule of thumb to keep from tying up loose balls and on a barbox with more crowded conditions the odds of tying up loose balls would increase.

Another rule of thumb is not to disturb the balls if they all have a pocket unless you need to develop a break shot. More crowded conditions on a barbox make it more critical to do that.

That's my guess as to what he was referring to.

14.1 table size
Old
  (#18)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

14.1 table size - 08-27-2020, 04:32 PM

Let's get serious. I know what ends of runs are and how they happen.

I would like to know why even the best players out there have never figured out how come Greenleaf, Mosconi, Lassiter, Crane, and others from the twenties through the sixties, dominated the game of 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous that they all played so well. None of them ever documented how they played the game or from whom they learned the game. They all, also played carom billiards.

Last edited by xradarx; 08-27-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Old
  (#19)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

08-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post

I would like to know why even the best players out there have never figured out how come Greenleaf, Mosconi, Lassiter, Crane, and others from the twenties through the sixties, dominated the game of 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous that they all played so well. None of them ever documented how they played the game or from whom they learned the game. They all, also played carom billiards.
It seems you're implying that you have figured out the reason. If so, could you enlighten the rest of us dummies. Thanx.

Old
  (#20)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Those guy started playing 14.1 when they were kids and focused on it. Pool was to them what video games are to today's kids. I'll add Efren to that list. He lived in a pool hall.

14.1 perspective
Old
  (#21)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

14.1 perspective - 08-30-2020, 11:43 AM

The game has moved on along. No one struts around espousing, look at me, I beat ol' so-and-so at 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous anymore. It's now a question of how high do you run? People only want to practice 14.1, so they can pony up a favorite break-shot and see how high can they run. Competition, also produces players, not practice. Practice makes rote players of the game. Rack'em/Lay'em on the table, shoot'em in the hole, save one, rack'em, rote.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-03-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Old
  (#22)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-31-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The game has moved on along. No one struts around espousing, look at me, I beat ol'e so-and-so at 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous anymore. It's now a question of how high do you run? People only want to practice 14.1, so they can pony up a favorite break-shot and see how high can they run. Competition, also produces players, not practice. Practice makes rote players of the game. Rack'em/Lay'em on the table, shoot'em in the hole, save one, rack'em, rote.
Agreed. The hard-to-fathom emphasis on the high run has been a significant step backward for straight pool, a game in which winning was the only thing that mattered for a hundred years.

Great respect is due to those that have set and achieved their high run goals, but greatness has, is, and always will be measured in titles. Comparing practice runs to runs made in competition is the same as comparing what happens on the pistol range to what happens in real combat. Though one can shine on the pistol range, medals and other accolades are won solely on the field of battle.

As they say in the military, it's an entirely different matter when someone is firing back.

Old
  (#23)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...

14.1 - 09-01-2020, 09:02 AM

Two older players used to play 14.1 straight pool. One would break the rack and move about two or three balls from the rack. The next player would then change the game and begin to play one pocket pool with those three balls and then after they had made two balls, they would use the third ball to break another couple of balls from the rack and proceed back to playing one pocket, same as before until they finished their session.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-12-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Old
  (#24)
Tall-Bob
Registered
Tall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond reputeTall-Bob has a reputation beyond repute

09-02-2020, 07:31 AM

Easier on a bar table. Like other games, congestion on a 7-footer is the difficulty. Another is likelyhood of scratching on break shots. On the easier side of the ledger is easier/shorter shots, upper pockets used way more often, more break ball locations, combos/caroms easier.

On his recent trip to Denver, John Schmidt ran 226 on a Diamond 7ft on the first try.

Old
  (#25)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...

226 - 09-04-2020, 12:15 PM

If he spliced three of those video? What, u say?, no video....shucks

Last edited by xradarx; 09-12-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Old
  (#26)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 12:21 PM

hey, me and this other guy saw one half each of this 700 run

LEGIT!!!

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

14.1 Table play size
Old
  (#27)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...

14.1 Table play size - 09-04-2020, 02:37 PM

roses are.... oops last poem cause ban!

Last edited by xradarx; 09-12-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Old
  (#28)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member
Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2020, 04:08 PM

I just saw this thread. I cannot believe this is a real debate. Bar table is WAY easier.

I have run over 100 balls on a 9 foot a number of times, but never cleared 150.

I can run 100 balls on a bar table almost at will.

In fact, when Jesse Engel and I were at a bar table tournament we decided to warm up with scotch doubles straight pool. We put our cues together and ran 216 on our first inning. I made a secondary breakshot and scratched. No missed balls. We put our cues away and decided we were warmed up.

To be fair, Jesse and I have really good cue ball control. For me most runs end due to a miss, I don't lose my cue ball. Maybe if someone is a total gun slinger and doesn't play shape it might be different, but anyone capable of running 100+ should prefer bar table!

Demetrius Jelatis
www.mnpoolbootcamp.com/

Decisions_Decisions?
Old
  (#29)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...

Decisions_Decisions? - 09-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
It seems you're implying that you have figured out the reason. If so, could you enlighten the rest of us dummies. Thanx.
Please, provide some relief for yourself with an apology. There are no dummies playing 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-12-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Old
  (#30)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

09-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldpro View Post
No doubt a 7ft table would be the hardest size to run balls on for sure. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I just saw this thread. I cannot believe this is a real debate. Bar table is WAY easier....

Page 2 of 4 12 34