Operation: Bar Box Rescue
Old
  (#1)
PoodlePuncher
Registered
PoodlePuncher is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Operation: Bar Box Rescue - 10-24-2020, 08:02 PM

My buddy's parents offered to give me their pool table, and i finally got a chance to go check it out.

Backstory:
They acquired it shortly after they bought the house in '79
Before that it was at the "Muni" (and possibly the American Legion) in Wayzata, where it hosted a whole cavalcade of bigwigs passing through town. Its even possible some of the old timers on here may have played on it.

It was well loved and taken care of, but earlier this year the pond invaded their basement, and now it's in the way of renovations.

I'm 100% sure the felt was never replaced, and it needs new bumpers, but other than that its solid.

Extraction is currently planned for 11/9

DC2 SW/AW

Last edited by PoodlePuncher; 10-25-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Old
  (#2)
PoodlePuncher
Registered

10-24-2020, 08:07 PM

The badge in the larger photo is hard to read, so here's this...

I was surprised to see "Victor Comptometer corp" at the bottom, but
--EDIT--
It appears they filed the patent for the "MAGNETIC POOL BALL", so it tracks.

DC2 SW/AW

Last edited by PoodlePuncher; 10-24-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePuncher View Post
The badge in the larger photo is hard to read, so here's this...

I was surprised to see "Victor Comptometer corp" at the bottom, but
--EDIT--
It appears they filed the patent for the "MAGNETIC POOL BALL", so it tracks.
https://www.valley-dynamoparts.com/d...ytable_006.pdf

Old
  (#4)
PoodlePuncher
Registered

10-24-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
yep, i've seen that page... based on the color it appears to be from the 1973-75 range.
but i'll have to wait till i get it home to locate the serial.

I did however find this brochure from '75

I'm guessing the woodgrain vinyl on the corners came off at some point.

DC2 SW/AW

Old
  (#5)
JessEm
AzB Silver Member
JessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond reputeJessEm has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 09:13 AM

*If* it's the table in the brochure, it's cool retro looking... And *if* the corners indeed had a vinyl woodgrain sticker, replacement, if desired, shouldn't be difficult.

It's tough to beat free, but there are expenses affiliated which will add up. Moving/setup, new bumpers, and new cloth. No sense going through the trouble and then skimping on Simonis cloth and Diamond bumpers (K55?)... Do it right and it will play like a modern champion...

The person to contact would be Jamie Pluta in Lakeville. 952-212-POOL. A quick call will nail down the true expense involved... FYI, a lot of the top google results in the area are simply middle-men who charge you double, then farm out your job to Jamie anyway.

Good luck. Obviously some work involved but at the price you're paying it will still cost a fraction of my Diamond and probably play just as well.

Joe Pechauer Signed
Predator Molinari Choi
Tad Lofstrom custom
Samsara Jump/Break
vintage Brunswick by Schmelke

Old
  (#6)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePuncher View Post
My buddy's parents offered to give me their pool table, and i finally got a chance to go check it out.

Backstory:
They acquired it shortly after they bought the house in '79
Before that it was at the "Muni" (and possibly the American Legion) in Wayzata, where it hosted a whole cavalcade of bigwigs passing through town. Its even possible some of the old timers on here may have played on it.

It was well loved and taken care of, but earlier this year the pond invaded their basement, and now it's in the way of renovations.

I'm 100% sure the felt was never replaced, and it needs new bumpers, but other than

Extraction is currently planned for 11/9
Congrats on a cool find/gift.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#7)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Great table.

I’d approach this as a fun and rewarding project. Like restoring a beater car. Good for thr brain and soul.

Not all that expensive in the scheme of things. Fun to research and learn as you go. More rewarding end product if you do it all yourself.

Old
  (#8)
PoodlePuncher
Registered

10-25-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEm View Post
*If* it's the table in the brochure, it's cool retro looking... And *if* the corners indeed had a vinyl woodgrain sticker, replacement, if desired, shouldn't be difficult.
i found a bumper table on valley's flicker feed that has naked corners, so i've reconsidered the "missing vinyl".

Valley Model 15/25/35/45 by Valley-Dynamo Museum, on Flickr

either way, i like the look..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEm View Post
It's tough to beat free, but there are expenses affiliated which will add up. Moving/setup, new bumpers, and new cloth. No sense going through the trouble and then skimping on Simonis cloth and Diamond bumpers (K55?)... Do it right and it will play like a modern champion...

The person to contact would be Jamie Pluta in Lakeville. 952-212-POOL. A quick call will nail down the true expense involved... FYI, a lot of the top google results in the area are simply middle-men who charge you double, then farm out your job to Jamie anyway.
I moonlighted as a table mechanic in my younger years, so I'm capable of doing the work myself, but i appreciate the recommendation. It's good to know who to trust when the time comes.

DC2 SW/AW

Last edited by PoodlePuncher; 10-25-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Old
  (#9)
PoodlePuncher
Registered

10-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosnooker View Post
Great table.
I’d approach this as a fun and rewarding project. Like restoring a beater car. Good for thr brain and soul.

Not all that expensive in the scheme of things. Fun to research and learn as you go. More rewarding end product if you do it all yourself.
Absolutely!
Not looking for a "Show Piece", just something i can use to teach my daughter, and play with friends. My buddy is super excited, because this table was his childhood, and he doesn't remember the last time it played well.

DC2 SW/AW

Old
  (#10)
chitownnorth
AzB Silver Member
chitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 10:49 AM

You may be able to get tight pocket rails for your Valley table. At the moment, I cannot think of the name of them but someone on here will chime in I'm sure.

Old
  (#11)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Put Penguin Pro cut on my Valley and it made a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownnorth View Post
You may be able to get tight pocket rails for your Valley table. At the moment, I cannot think of the name of them but someone on here will chime in I'm sure.

Old
  (#12)
chitownnorth
AzB Silver Member
chitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond reputechitownnorth has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
Yes and I think Ridgeback or something like that as well??

Old
  (#13)
PoodlePuncher
Registered

10-25-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
I've been looking at the Penguin rails... but the pro rails don't appear to be an option, as i believe to be the "mythical" 6 footer (78x45)

The pros and ridgebacks only go as low as the more common 88x50 size.

Honestly i don't have a desire to alter the pocket size...
I have a love affair with these tables, and the big pockets are part of it...

I can always do that in the future if i change my mind.

DC2 SW/AW