Reload this Page Keith Mcready - what kind of Cue did he play back in his day
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Keith Mcready - what kind of Cue did he play back in his day
Old
  (#1)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Keith Mcready - what kind of Cue did he play back in his day - 10-21-2020, 07:42 PM

Hello ,

My Son has been watching the Color of Money and has become a fan of Grady Season , the Legendary Keith Mcready. He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm. He was hoping that someone would know what cue that Keith played with back in his hey day. I am not for sure if that is a McDermott that Keith is using in the COM but any help would be Appreciated. Maybe what cue. Or brand he liked. Thanks

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-21-2020, 07:46 PM

I believe I've read the Man has been through a lot of sticks.

He was cozy with a jack madden last I was around him.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#3)
PoolFan101
AzB Silver Member
PoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond reputePoolFan101 has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2020, 08:05 PM

From what I am finding it seems he liked Schon cues. I wonder if he ever used a Meucci anytime during his Career.

Old
  (#4)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2020, 08:57 PM

Nick Varner told a good story on a 1998 US Open Accu-Stats match. He said out at the Lake Tahoe tournament years ago that Keith broke and ran the first three racks in his first match and then turned to the crowd and said....

"Just wanted to let everybody know that I'm in town....."

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#5)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2020, 10:22 PM

I dunno if the sidearm stroke is one really worth working at developing. It came about from Keith being young & short when he began playing. At least that's the impression I got.

This thread did make me curious though...anybody know the cue he used in the movie?

Old
  (#6)
terryhanna
AzB Silver Member
terryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond reputeterryhanna has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
I dunno if the sidearm stroke is one really worth working at developing. It came about from Keith being young & short when he began playing. At least that's the impression I got.

This thread did make me curious though...anybody know the cue he used in the movie?
I think I remember hearing McDermott's of some kind were used in the movie.

Looks like he was using different cues in both these scenes to me

https://youtu.be/6IUXEWVH9BQ

https://youtu.be/fjN9Qe237bw

Last edited by terryhanna; 10-22-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Old
  (#7)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 03:24 AM

Keith would use any cue he could get his hands on!
No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue.

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#8)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-22-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolFan101 View Post
Hello ,

He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm.
Why would he be doing that? That comes out from being too short to play over the table and having to turn the arm to the side to clear the rails, not as an actual proper way to play.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#9)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Hello ,

My Son has been watching the Color of Money and has become a fan of Grady Season , the Legendary Keith Mcready. He is working on the same stroke which looks like he is shooting side arm. He was hoping that someone would know what cue that Keith played with back in his hey day. I am not for sure if that is a McDermott that Keith is using in the COM but any help would be Appreciated. Maybe what cue. Or brand he liked. Thanks
I think it was usually a Budweiser.

Old
  (#10)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 06:53 AM

PoolFan, you need to get a grip and use common sense. You are sitting around watching and allowing your son to damage himself. Wake up and do a little reading. Better yet, tell your kid to do some reading. The side arm stroke is an aberration. Its cause is no mystery.

"Hoppe's peculiar style of stroke was a result of his career as a child prodigy. He barely reached the table and had to stand on a box. In Billiards As It Should Be Played Hoppe emphatically advised players not to use his way of directing the cue."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Hoppe

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.
Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies.
But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, Chicago: City on the Make

Old
  (#11)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Keith would use any cue he could get his hands on!
No, seriously. Sometimes he would make a game and then ask someone to borrow their cue after he hit a few balls with it. His favorite cue case was either a rubber band or rolled up newspaper around the cue.

Keith could literally pick up any cue and if it felt good to him he was ready to go. He often played big money games with a cue he had never played with before! In a pinch he would find a house cue and use it to mow you down!
That's what I was thinking Jay. When the Earthquake was in gear, I doubt it mattered if he was holding a broom handle.

A suggestion to the OP...If your son is interested in the game because of a character in a movie, that's ok, and still cool. Many of us were attracted to various things, for various reasons, as we "matured." Encouraging your son's love of pocket billiards is definitely something the two of you can enjoy together for a long, long time. Nudge him to become his best self at whatever he chooses to do. The interest has been sparked...now guide him down a proper path.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#12)
mrparks
Registered
mrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond reputemrparks has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 07:47 AM

Very rarely did I ever see Keith play with a flashy, high end cue. This added to his advantage as a hustler. It's hard to tell what cue(s) he used in the movie but there was more than one. I'd be willing to bet he played with whatever another player on the set let him use.

Old
  (#13)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Hello ,

BAD idea. KM shot that way 'cause he was too short when he started. As for cues, Jay knows if anyone does. Keith played with whatever he could use or borrow. Efren was same way, he used ALL kinds from $17 pos to Schon's, Judd's, Meucci's etc.

Old
  (#14)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2020, 07:51 AM

In order to be a "complete" pool player, one must have a well rounded education about his sport. I submit that most of us acquired most of our education in pool halls -- the school of pool. The bookworms among us supplemented our basic education by reading anything we could find.

There is no substitute for hanging out in a pool hall -- it would take many months to begin to convey all that one can learn. If your kid really wants to be a player, he needs to find the right pool hall to hang out in. And, of course, read everything he can get his hands on, too.

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.
Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies.
But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, Chicago: City on the Make

Last edited by Biloxi Boy; 10-22-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Old
  (#15)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-22-2020, 09:45 AM

PoolFan101...Get your son a lesson with a qualified instructor...one who uses video analysis. That sidearm stroke is terribly difficult for mortals to develop accurately. Nip that problem in the bud NOW, not later.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Hello ,

PBIA Master Instructor

Page 1 of 3 1 23