Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page John Schmidt's 626
Page 35 of 51 « First 25333435 363745 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#511)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-19-2020, 12:29 PM

So I can certify today that which happens tomorrow. Genius. Try that one in court.

Here is the difference: 1 person swears that he and 30+ people saw the same thing or
30+ people all swear they saw the same thing.
Can any of you guess which one wins?

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.
Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies.
But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, Chicago: City on the Make

Old
  (#512)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Boy View Post
Ya'll are determined to make me work.

Todd "being first duly sworn" -- clear enough

"deposes" -- indicates a statement, oral or written, under oath

"Sworn to before me and subscribed in my presence" -- sounds like he swore to it to me.

As an interesting sidenote, notice the retro language in the 1954 Ohio affidavit: "Further affiant saith not." I have always ended my Mississippi affidavits: "Affiant further saith not."

I am not judging here, simply observing that we do not have, as I always thought, an Affidavit signed by 30+ observers. For instance Wiki reports it like this "[a] handwritten and notarized affidavit[11] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat." But this is false.

Here's more on dates. Wiki reports the run was on the 19th and 20th. Signatures were collected on the 19th. How do you certify something that is not yet complete? Affidavit not executed until six days later? Note, the only date on the affidavit is above the Notary's signature. This is when it was executed -- it might have existed, unsigned by Todd and not notarized, for days before. THE DEVIL IS ALWAYS IN THE DETAILS.
It does appear that the notary on this affidavit did more than just make an "acknowledgement" of identity, and that he also administered an oath.

Old
  (#513)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
So I can certify today that which happens tomorrow. Genius. Try that one in court.

Here is the difference: 1 person swears that he and 30+ people saw the same thing or
30+ people all swear they saw the same thing.

I guess it depends on whether we're talking about real life or first year law school.

Lou Figueroa

Yawn
Old
  (#514)
haystj
Timothy J Hays
haystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn - 10-19-2020, 12:41 PM

Almost like making a comparison between chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

2 very different things.

The idea Willie walks into a regular exhibition and runs 526, at age 41, is beyond astounding.

The idea that JS takes the time to really prepare- and has the mental fortitude and stamina to run 626 is beyond astounding.

I'd like to know which potential AZ member added this little nugget to Willie's Wikipedia page:

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954. A handwritten and notarized affidavit[11] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has since been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape which was never released.[12]

Old
  (#515)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystj View Post

2 very different things.

The idea Willie walks into a regular exhibition and runs 526, at age 41, is beyond astounding.

The idea that JS takes the time to really prepare- and has the mental fortitude and stamina to run 626 is beyond astounding.

I'd like to know which potential AZ member added this little nugget to Willie's Wikipedia page:

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954. A handwritten and notarized affidavit[11] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has since been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape which was never released.[12]

lol, not guilty but it does make a point, don't it.

Lou Figueroa
a point which looks like:

Old
  (#516)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Here is the difference: 1 person swears that he and 30+ people saw the same thing or 30+ people all swear they saw the same thing.
Actually all 30+ witnesses who signed the "pool room affidavit" attested to the fact that they witnessed the event, they just didn't take an oath, but in court they would have all be sworn in...

Old
  (#517)
Biloxi Boy
Man With A Golden Arm
Biloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBiloxi Boy has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 01:13 PM

The oath makes all the difference in the world. Otherwise, why would have Mosconi gotten the affidavit? Why would the fact of an affidavit even be reported? Why was an affidavit of 1 construed to be an affidavit of 30+? Because the value is in the oath.

I have no reason to doubt Mosconi's record. I am simply trying to point out the necessity of reporting anything with 100% accuracy. And if it is important . . .

"It's all in the wrist, with a deck or a cue"
Epitaph of Frankie Machine

"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another.
Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies.
But never a lovely so real."
Nelson Algren, Chicago: City on the Make

Old
  (#518)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Agree on both counts.

Also, the idea that Babe Cranfield has run over 700 twice, is beyond astounding. Verified by Irving Crane, by the way.

768 was Babe's high run, and still continues to be the highest.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#519)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-19-2020, 01:35 PM

The record has since been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape which was never released...plus he throws chalk at people and its all a vast conspiracy driven by chemical trails from BCA jets and did I mention the chalk wizzing by my head?...SLATE SHAVING POLISHED BALLS HOF [12][/I][/B]

It changed again...I'm starting to narrow it down.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Last edited by logical; 10-19-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Old
  (#520)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

10-19-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
It was a notarized affidavit signed by members of the audience at one of his exhibitions.
There are multiple changes in capitalization in that letter; it's an obvious forgery Lou. 526 never happened.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#521)
Scrunge19
Registered
Scrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond reputeScrunge19 has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 02:07 PM

With the way you guys bicker over this, I would think that Mosconi was your dad and John Schmidt cheated him out of his record, pissed on his grave, and kicked your dog on the way out the door.

Ultimately this is a case of someone who completely failed from a marketing/promotional perspective, NOT of one trying to fake his way into a record. I can’t fault the guy for trying to make a buck, especially when your day job is as a pro pool player, but this choice didn’t prove to be the right one.

Lastly, if this record really mattered that much, wouldn’t players like Filler, Thorsten, etc try to put themselves in position to beat it? JS just so happened to be someone who felt the time and effort required was worth pursuing. At the end of the day, I think this record matters to very few people under the age of 60, hence why AZbilliards is the only place people are up in arms about it being beaten.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things i have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no rep, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Old
  (#522)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

2 very different things.

Mosconi set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio on March 19–20, 1954. A handwritten and notarized affidavit[11] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat. The record has since been surpassed, with 626 consecutive balls ran by John Schmidt on May 27, 2019, recorded on a videotape which was never released.[12] Victor Mather, NY Times sports editor He, most certainly, wasn't a witness, just more hearsay.
Don't know if you can put two and two together. May not be on AZB at all. bye uno

Last edited by xradarx; 10-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Old
  (#523)
haystj
Timothy J Hays
haystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond reputehaystj has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
Don't know if you can put two and two together. May not be on AZB at all. bye uno
I can put 2 and 2 together, thank you.

Here’s a pro tip to help you out:

Baking soda can soothe the inflamed skin and reduce irritation and itching.

Soaking in a lukewarm tub with ½ to 1 cup of baking soda may help reduce symptoms.

You won’t need to fill the tub- I’m thinking 1-2 inches of water will be sufficient.

Pro Tip
Old
  (#524)
xradarx
I'm fixin'ta...
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

Pro Tip - 10-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I can put 2 and 2 together, thank you.

Here’s a pro tip to help you out:

Baking soda can soothe the inflamed skin and reduce irritation and itching.

Soaking in a lukewarm tub with ½ to 1 cup of baking soda may help reduce symptoms.

You won’t need to fill the tub- I’m thinking 1-2 inches of water will be sufficient.
Mentally deficient Butt-Hurt pros still trying to self medicate. You use the same prescription that you use when js turns too quickly and your nose doesn't make the turn. bye now, uno

Last edited by xradarx; 10-19-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Old
  (#525)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

10-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
There are multiple changes in capitalization in that letter; it's an obvious forgery Lou. 526 never happened.

hey, a bunch of pool players trying to do a cool thing -- frankly, I'm surprised they spelled "affidavit" right.

And God forbid they did something like misspell Springfield and turned it into Springfeld, or Biloxi would have been all over that screaming, "The city makes all the difference in the world! Otherwise, why would Mosconi have gotten the affidavit in the wrong city? Why would the fact of an affidavit in Springfeld even be reported? Why was an affidavit of a non-existent place construed to be an affidavit at all?!"

We're just lucky they got some of it right, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Page 35 of 51 « First 25333435 363745 Last »