Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page banking question

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
banking question
Old
  (#1)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

banking question - 10-08-2020, 01:55 PM

what is a deferred tax liability and...wait, that's not what I meant.

so I'm used to mostly banking pocket speed, especially on long banks
it seems this actually has more margin for error, except when it gets to the pocket
I'm not sure
I was watching brumback play tho, and he just seemed to fire in everything
in general, pro players don't seem to baby the ball much, but when it's required
anyway, I'm curious about it all
but especially re: banks
all things being equal, good table, position, etc.
is is preferable to give banks time to get there, or not? how come?

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#2)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-08-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
is is preferable to give banks time to get there, or not? how come?
Bank angles are more sensitive to speed differences at lower speeds - there's a wider margin for speed error at higher speeds.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Bank angles are more sensitive to speed differences at lower speeds - there's a wider margin for speed error at higher speeds.

pj
chgo
thanks pat
I get that
so would you say the advantage gained by hitting a ball with pocket speed
doesn't generally apply to banks?

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
thanks pat
I get that
so would you say the advantage gained by hitting a ball with pocket speed
doesn't generally apply to banks?
On some banks just the difference in speed can cause over a diamond of difference in where the object ball lands by the pocket. On other shots the difference is much smaller. A pesky complication is that it is not the speed that is the real culprit.

If that is new to you, the videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BPbOYctSaWAIuF

should help you get up to speed. In particular down around #24 on that playlist, see BANK and KICK Effects and Aiming ADJUSTMENTS

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
would you say the advantage gained by hitting a ball with pocket speed doesn't generally apply to banks?
Whatever advantage that is I imagine it applies to banks too, but is overruled by the consistency of speed.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#6)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2020, 03:39 AM

Sean
Here is my 2 cents
The pocket accepts a ball better at slow speed
Meaning a less than perfect approach to the pocket
A ball that would rattle and not fall at greater speed might go in at slower speed
That being said
As mentioned above speed is also a variable regarding where you need to aim to make a bank
Thats why bank pool players like brumback like to hit their banks at warp speed especially when playing banks
Because at higher speeds it makes for more consistency / predictability of what the ball will do
It takes many variables out of the equation
You should get a video of brumback playing onepocket and watch him pass on available banks or miss banks that he would drain playing banks
Because one pocket banks are usually pocket speed
I am not an instructor

Old
  (#7)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

10-09-2020, 03:35 PM

sometimes I actually feel like I'm on the right track with this pool stuff
and yet I know there's so much I don't know..I like this space
thank you all for once again kicking in on the rent

Old
  (#8)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2020, 10:20 PM

On the "it's all there for the aiming" approach, rather than shoot at a path originating at the center of the primary ball, I aim the outside of the ball to clear the outside jaw; or any other obstacle if there is no pocket involved.