Reload this Page Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool
Old
  (#1)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Started Playing Pool - 10-02-2020, 01:43 PM

It takes over all of your free time.

Even when you're on a team, you're still on your own.

It's a very alpha-oriented sport.

It can be extremely expensive.

You are always going to need a bigger room if you want to play at home.

Pets & Pool are usually a bad idea.

Everyone thinks they should teach you.

The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.

You will never be able to pay the bills with it.

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#2)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post

The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.

Great post. I've altered your post to apply to GOLF, with one minor change:

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you made instead of dreading the other 99 you missed.

LOL

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#3)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:04 PM

Here's one more:

The other guys all think they're better than they are. That's OK since you do too.

www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 10-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

10-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Here's one more:

The other guys all think they're better than they are. That's OK since you do too.
Good one and so true. Ego is a huge factor in pool. Being a good money player is only possible if you check your ego at the door, so that you can judge someone's speed, including your own, very accurately.

To go along with that one, I would say that pool players tend to tell everyone that their very BEST level of play is actually their AVERAGE level of play. LOL

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

level of play
Old
  (#5)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

level of play - 10-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_A_Grip View Post
Good one and so true. Ego is a huge factor in pool. Being a good money player is only possible if you check your ego at the door, so that you can judge someone's speed, including your own, very accurately.

To go along with that one, I would say that pool players tend to tell everyone that their very BEST level of play is actually their AVERAGE level of play. LOL

94% of pool players play better than average. I know because they have told me so!

Hu

Old
  (#6)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-02-2020, 03:12 PM

‘The better you get, the more your non-playing friends will look down on you for it.‘

Not really. The more you realize that, like with most hobbies, nobody else cares. What’s important in my world has zero influence in the greater universe.

If I made a 147 in Snooker, it would be overshadowed by our dog balancing a ball on his nose. I understand this as I have zero interest in pro sports. I’d rather watch a funny cat video than a baseball pitcher throw a perfect game.

‘Pets and pool are a bad idea’. Actually it’s funny because because one of the pro Snooker commentators said that the best Chinese Player (ding) was off his game since becoming a father. Kids and billiards are a bad idea.

Old
  (#7)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:

You are always going to need a bigger room if you want to play at home.

Pets & Pool are usually a bad idea.

You will stay awake nights thinking about a single shot you missed instead of enjoying the other 99 you made.
If it bothers you that much then give it up
or take up golf

Old
  (#8)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:24 PM

And yet...knowing all these truths now...you still play. Funny how it works that way, isn't it?

Old
  (#9)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:37 PM

It's all good, if we didn't obsess over this game, it would be something else. When all things considered, this is pretty good therapy and good way spend some time with family and friends while we take our trips around the sun.

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-02-2020, 04:13 PM

It won't get you laid.

pj <- voice of experience
chgo

Old
  (#11)
Type79
AzB Gold Member
Type79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond reputeType79 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-02-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Obviously you have never played APA.

Jay Fishbein
On Facebook:
Palmer Cues - Original By Palmer
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412351735677519/

Old
  (#12)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 04:19 PM

The game is ALOT more difficult than most of us admit- because we think we can conquer it- but then again, that is where the challenge comes in and keeps us coming back for more punishment.

The analogies to golf are very close- In both games, MOST participants HAVE to love the game to keep playing regularly over many years and HAVE to love the challenge. When you get REALLY good at either game- the motivator ( different from the pure joy of the game that you feel) The motivator- is that somewhere in your mind- you think you are one step away from greatness- mostly that may be an illusion- but that's OK- I can think of a lot worse pursuits in life than just trying to be great at something you love!

Old
  (#13)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

10-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESSNA10 View Post
If it bothers you that much then give it up
or take up golf
I think you missed the point. By a lot. Like Geo-Snooker a lot.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#14)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy77 View Post
It's all good, if we didn't obsess over this game, it would be something else. When all things considered, this is pretty good therapy and good way spend some time with family and friends while we take our trips around the sun.
Agree, there is nothing wrong with an obsession if it has positive results. We have a great social circle largely because of billiards. Nice people.

Old
  (#15)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch

10-02-2020, 05:18 PM

One thing I will say about pool or golf or most skills. Take whatever you think it takes to get really good and at least double it. Then try it and double it again. Maybe even double it again after that.

Then ask yourself if you're willing to commit that much of your life to just one thing, at the expense of everything else, knowing you will probably still fail. Some people are willing to do what it takes, but the vast majority of us won't make that kind of sacrifice or take that large of a gamble.

www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 10-02-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23