Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Broken bumper

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Broken bumper
Old
  (#1)
heinosuke1
Registered
heinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Broken bumper - 07-30-2020, 08:18 PM

I was hand-tightening a bumper when suddenly the head snapped off of the rubber screw. What would be the most advisable way for me to retrieve the body from the cue? The head snapped off in such a manner as to leave the body somewhat flush to the bottom of the cue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by heinosuke1; 07-31-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Old
  (#2)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

07-31-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinosuke1 View Post
I was hand-tightening a bumper when suddenly the head snapped off of the rubber screw. What would be the most advisable way for me to retrieve the body from the cue? The head snapped of in such a manner as to leave the body somewhat flush to the bottom of the cue. Thanks in advance.
Yep...Tell you what I did to make it work. I use the threaded 3/8-16 style bumper in all my cues and occasionally one gets broke off by either someone just trying to pull it out or someone over tightening it when screwing it in.
I took a long "deck" screw, 2-1/2 inch or 3" long and had to grind a thin slot up and down it 180 degrees from each other coming off the point of the screw. Without the slots, the screw would just go into the rubber and back out without grabbing the rubber stem to allow it to unscrew itself when you are trying to reverse it out. I used a dremel tool with a very thin metal cutting blade to make the slots in the screw.
Good luck.

Old
  (#3)
thoffen
AzB Silver Member
thoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond reputethoffen has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 08:49 AM

If the slots don't work, would a small amount of CA glue to bond the screw to the rubber be a bad idea?

Old
  (#4)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

07-31-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoffen View Post
If the slots don't work, would a small amount of CA glue to bond the screw to the rubber be a bad idea?
Maybe......you would have to be very careful not to get any glue on the threads and compound the problem even worse. I tried several different ways and the slots on the screw worked best for me.
Cut the slots at just a bit of an angle as to put little fish hooks on the screw threads.

Old
  (#5)
heinosuke1
Registered
heinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond reputeheinosuke1 has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 04:19 PM

Dave, thank you very much for your invaluable advice!

Old
  (#6)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User

08-01-2020, 06:57 AM

Yw