Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Force follow vs. long draw
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member
skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
If the cue ball “ spins out “ they have some English on the cue ball
Topspin is spin. But "rolls out" if you prefer. All English is spin but not all spin is English.

I am referring to the aggressive tendency of the cue ball to move forward. The fact that the cue ball continues forward even after a direct hit. Whatever you want to call that force. It is technically not English which is reserved for side spin. The cue ball has rotational persistence to continue in the same direction. Force follow does not imply English.

Last edited by skipbales; 05-19-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Old
  (#17)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
Topspin is spin. But "rolls out" if you prefer. All English is spin but not all spin is English.

I am referring to the aggressive tendency of the cue ball to move forward. The fact that the cue ball continues forward even after a direct hit. Whatever you want to call that force. It is technically not English which is reserved for side spin. The cue ball has rotational persistence to continue in the same direction. Force follow does not imply English.
i understand what you are saying now
if you cant make the cue ball do that either you are not hitting high enough (use a stripe so the stripe is parallel to the table bed) and see where you chalk mark
if its not very close to the top line of the stripe you have more "top " to hit before miscueing.
if it is then you are not accelerating thru the ball enough
last and this could be voodoo but i find if i angle my cue upwards alittle it helps me get force follow
good luck with your journey

Old
  (#18)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbales View Post
There is no magic bullet is there? The bottom line is I just need to set up a bunch of them and shoot them.

The shot that is a total mystery to me is down the long rail into the corner. I see the pros have what looks like a 10 degree angle and they make the ball, get the cue ball to the long rail and spin out like it is easy. I need more like 20 degrees. Anything less and the cue ball goes too far down the rail and either scratches or catches the point on the pocket. I blamed this on the top spin so tried center and low. I have tried top outside, center outside and even low outside. If I use a crazy amount of spin I can make it all work once in a great while. If the object ball is 2 inches away from the long rail there is no way I can get the cue ball to get to the rail and grip.
if you mean the cue ball hitting farther away from the corner pocket on the short rail
thats speed dependent as a variable as the harder you hit it
the cue ball will travel down the tangent line farther before the follow kicks in
so its a balance of how much follow and force

Old
  (#19)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2020, 10:19 AM

same with controlling where the bend occurs like in this shot....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7CKLcCJo0

Old
  (#20)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member
skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
i understand what you are saying now
if you cant make the cue ball do that either you are not hitting high enough (use a stripe so the stripe is parallel to the table bed) and see where you chalk mark
if its not very close to the top line of the stripe you have more "top " to hit before miscueing.
if it is then you are not accelerating thru the ball enough
last and this could be voodoo but i find if i angle my cue upwards alittle it helps me get force follow
good luck with your journey
Thank you for the suggestions!!!

Old
  (#21)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
if you mean the cue ball hitting farther away from the corner pocket on the short rail
thats speed dependent as a variable as the harder you hit it
the cue ball will travel down the tangent line farther before the follow kicks in
so its a balance of how much follow and force
I get the "high action" or good topspin, whatever it is called. Mostly I miss making the object ball. This doesn't happen with power draw since the cue ball comes back away from the pocket.

It is like my conscious mind picks the aim spot but my sub conscious is afraid of the scratch so something causes me to over cut. I can do it fine on very short shots and soft to medium shots but as the force increases or the distance is greater I so something in my stroke that adds just enough angle that the object ball touches rail and I miss the shot.

I don't know if it is stroke, aim, or stance (I might be leaning a little without meaning to). But I guess the cure is the same. Progressive drills with increased seed and distance.

Old
  (#22)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
...this could be voodoo but i find if i angle my cue upwards a little it helps me get force follow
It's usually impossible to do this (because the butt's usually over a rail that's higher than the miscue limit) - and trying to do it could encourage a wonky stroke.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#23)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
It's usually impossible to do this (because the butt's usually over a rail that's higher than the miscue limit) - and trying to do it could encourage a wonky stroke.

pj
chgo
i think it helps me get less down angle if you know what i mean

Old
  (#24)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
i think it helps me get less down angle if you know what i mean
I guess visualizing an "upstroke" can help keep it as level as possible - if it doesn't make you do things like trying to drop your grip hand (or raise your bridge) during the stroke.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#25)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I guess visualizing an "upstroke" can help keep it as level as possible - if it doesn't make you do things like trying to drop your grip hand (or raise your bridge) during the stroke.

pj
chgo
no it doesnt its my "perception" of the angle
perception
LOL

Old
  (#26)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

05-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
no it doesnt its my "perception" of the angle
perception
LOL
It is good for perception to match reality in this and may other parts of life. The reality is that your stick is almost certainly elevated -- sloped down from your grip hand to your bridge hand.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

05-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
It is good for perception to match reality in this and may other parts of life. The reality is that your stick is almost certainly elevated -- sloped down from your grip hand to your bridge hand.
the 3 cushion players especially talk about types of strokes
regarding tempo among other things
even tho i think you agree the cue ball only knows tip offset
angle direction
and speed
thoughts of different stokes
\conjure various tempos to hit the ball
where perception doesnt have to match reality

Page 2 of 2 12