Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Tips pros use?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
djkx1
AzB Silver Member
djkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond reputedjkx1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 375

02-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
Yes we may know what kind of tip a pro uses but I bet it's a new tip every match............

Kim
I know Shane will sometimes use a tip till all that's left is a sliver of leather and I'm sure a lot of pros will only change it once it is absolutely necessary. A lot of people will tell you that once you get used to something you don't change it unless you have to.

Old
  (#17)
IntoTheRail
AzB Silver Member
IntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond reputeIntoTheRail has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to IntoTheRail Send a message via Yahoo to IntoTheRail  
02-06-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammo57 View Post
Yes we may know what kind of tip a pro uses but I bet it's a new tip every match............

Kim
Not likely. I remember Appleton saying on one of the TAR podcasts that he has had the same tip for over 2 years.

In God we trust - All others must post.

Old
  (#18)
arnaldo
AzB Silver Member
arnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkx1 View Post
I know Shane will sometimes use a tip till all that's left is a sliver of leather and I'm sure a lot of pros will only change it once it is absolutely necessary. A lot of people will tell you that once you get used to something you don't change it unless you have to.
---------------------------------------------------
That wait-until-it's-only-a-sliver is a reckless practice. I've seen more than few ferrules damaged that way. The reason is that miscues (essentially inevitable with any thickness of tip) pose a special danger to the ferrules of players who let their tip reduce to the cited "sliver" thickness. The result is moderate to severe deformation of the ferrule's end portion, along with lengthwise scratching and scarring of ferrules.

Deformations and scratching that would less likely have happened with a moderately thicker-than-mere-sliver tip.

Arnaldo

“When the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where your roadwork shows . . . If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you’re gonna get found out now, under the bright lights.” – Joe “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier

Old
  (#19)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Efren's EM's are not STOCK tips. Buttermilk, pressed then shaped.

Old
  (#20)
CT06010
AzB Silver Member
CT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond reputeCT06010 has a reputation beyond repute

02-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheRail View Post
Not likely. I remember Appleton saying on one of the TAR podcasts that he has had the same tip for over 2 years.
Appleton uses Kamui Black S. SVB uses Kamui Brown M. From that exact podcast

Old
  (#21)
PoolBoy1
AzB Silver Member
PoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond repute

02-08-2015, 06:47 PM

Efren Reyes - Elk Master, that is a beautiful thing. $0.43 cents a tip. hahaha. My next tip. What a racket this cue and tip business is.

Many good ones
Old
  (#22)
Ak Guy
AzB Silver Member
Ak Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond reputeAk Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Many good ones - 02-09-2015, 02:00 AM

Efren always uses a Elk Master and SVB uses Kamui Brown Medium and Appleton was using a Kamui Soft. Pretty much proves great players can use and adjust to any reasonably good tip, shaft or cue butt. it's the rest of us that are always searching for an equipment edge.

Old
  (#23)
john noe
Registered
john noe is on a distinguished road

08-03-2019, 02:35 PM

Yes, I read that Efren uses Elkmaster tips on his cues........ but not really due to the fact that he has them hardened up a bit using milk cream and a vice or something. So if we want to use the same tip Efren uses we are going to have to find out who treats his Elkmaster tips and try to get them to some for us.

Old
  (#24)
pinkspider
Crap user name, I know.
pinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond reputepinkspider has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkx1 View Post
Just to add to that i think it depends on the individual.. tips behave differently throughout its life and some would prefer the tips during the first couple of weeks (more lively) and some may prefer it when they are more or less hardened. Either way they choose to approach it, its as mentioned here: they want the behaviour of the tip to be consistent.

Old
  (#25)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2019, 04:44 AM

TRIANGLE - (but I ain't a pro)

Old
  (#26)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBoy1 View Post
Efren Reyes - Elk Master, that is a beautiful thing. $0.43 cents a tip. hahaha. My next tip. What a racket this cue and tip business is.
I wouldn’t say that. Markets lead to innovation. If people are willing to spend the money on new products, then companies will continue to develop new products, and every now and then we’ll get something awesome. For example, snooker players used triangle chalk for years. Then Taom comes along and makes the game better. I’m sure that all the competition over chalk in the pool market contributed to their ability to develop the Taom chalk.

I don’t think anyone actually believes a $25 tip will make them win more games, but if they enjoy the tip, good on ‘em. If they like the sound of a Zan Hybrid over an Elk Master, sweet. And well, even enjoying the appearance of one tip over another might be enough to give them a little more confidence.

Layered tips also last a looooong time. I don’t mind paying $25 every 12-18 months on something I use 10-15 hours a week.

Old
  (#27)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john noe View Post
Yes, I read that Efren uses Elkmaster tips on his cues........ but not really due to the fact that he has them hardened up a bit using milk cream and a vice or something. So if we want to use the same tip Efren uses we are going to have to find out who treats his Elkmaster tips and try to get them to some for us.
I was recently told the guy that makes Efren's uses 'Milk of Magnesia' to soak 'em for a couple days.
He does 50 at a time, lays 'em out lengthwise between 2 strips of duct tape and tapes it down on a railroad track, one straight row. Whatever he can find are good ones and he usually finds about half of 'em. Sells 'em for 3 beers each, (premium beer)!

Old
  (#28)
Tronpocket
AzB Silver Member
Tronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond reputeTronpocket has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2019, 05:12 PM

To be more specific ...while he was playing here..., Earl used primarily ELK Duds from a guy in NYC. Rock hard and cut low. But he's got a few shafts that may not have all same.

"Honestly?..i dont know if your the worst good player or the best bad player ive ever seen" kidwill

"In 1964 we made a pact....i dont sing no songs and he dont play no pool"........stevie wonder

https://www.facebook.com/Fuscothespot, check us out!

Old
  (#29)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronpocket View Post
To be more specific ...while he was playing here..., Earl used primarily ELK Duds from a guy in NYC. Rock hard and cut low. But he's got a few shafts that may not have all same.
Most duds are pretty short from the start.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#30)
TxBullDog
Registered
TxBullDog is on a distinguished road

04-03-2020, 04:27 PM

https://www.tellmebest.com/pro-cuetips/ Latest list I saw but they change often...

Cue : Tim Scruggs
Jump Cue : Hanshew
Break Cue : BK Rush
Case : Jack Justis

Hit a Million Balls (HAMB) is the only fool-proof “aiming system.”
It’s not the cue … it’s you. It’s not the arrow … it’s the Indian.
Pool is my life. My girlfriend is my hobby.

Page 2 of 3 12 3