Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Rip to San Jose Dick
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-20-2018, 01:19 PM

You know what I liked most about Dick?

He was unfiltered, a straight shooter, and quite erudite -- he told it to you without a chaser and was unafraid to call out many of the prima donnas in the pool world. In his day, San Jose Dick was a fearsome 1pocket money player and is reputed to have loved action so much he would, on occasion, play two matches simultaneously on adjoining tables.

I had a chance to spend a little time with him during the US One Pocket Open in Vegas in 2011. He was more than fun to be around and drink with and in subsequent years we exchanged PMs about this and that. And when a big match for me came along, San Jose Dick sent me numerous messages of encouragement. His faith in me and his kind words are something I'll always remember and treasure and thinking of some of the stuff he wrote me makes me smile as I write this.

From what I know, the deep tragedy that affected Dick most was the loss of his beloved wife and it haunted him every day from the moment she died, far too young. Now he's with her and I have no doubt they have found happiness again.

RIP, SJD.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#32)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

08-20-2018, 01:52 PM

Sorry for your loss Lenny. I’m sure he cherished your
Friendship as much as you his. Condolences to all his
Family and friends.

Td

Old
  (#33)
VonRhett
Friends Call Me "von"
VonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond reputeVonRhett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000

08-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Rest in Peace, my friend.

You walked the walk and talked the talk, and the world is a lesser place without you in it.

You will be missed.

We've got the watch....

-von

- "Von"
Playing Cue: Paul Mottey, BOBBY HUNTER
Case: JACK JUSTIS
Other Cues: Bobby Hunter(s); JossWest(s); Mottey, Others

Where's Jimbo??
Hooyah!

Old
  (#34)
Dave-Kat
AzB Silver Member
Dave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond reputeDave-Kat has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Nice you have footage Lenny and I'm sorry you lost such a good friend. I had seen this footage before but skimmed through again. SJD was a classic and Lou is spot on about saying what was on his mind. When I first joined here I remember him in some fierce forum battles.

Forgot his story about 'Bucktooth' story and the 'Golden' Cue' in Hayward. Used to drive by on Mission Blvd. with all the time with my Parents when I was young as I grew up in Hayward.

Closed before I ever got the chance to go inside. Believe the building is still there divided into several smaller business.

My sincere condolences to all his many friends, family and loved ones.

-Kat,

Old
  (#35)
Kiwis11
AzB Silver Member
Kiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond reputeKiwis11 has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2018, 08:59 PM

San Jose Dick...was one of my favorite players to watch play 1Pocket. I especially enjoyed watching him torch the young guns who thought shooting straight was the only requirement to playing great pool.

RIP...See you on the other side.

I could be wrong...But I doubt it.

Old
  (#36)
imagemker
AzB Silver Member
imagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond reputeimagemker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

08-20-2018, 09:54 PM

RIP Dick, you will be missed. Loved to listen to your stories. Rest well sir.

"We are as we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit" Aristotle

Cues: Barnhart, Carmeli, (3) Showman, Nitti, Sierra, BCM, Orlandi, Monster Vollmer (finally!!)
Player: any of the Carmeli's

Old
  (#37)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease
Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

08-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the link, Lenny.

My condolences to you, and to Dick's family and friends..... Rest in Peace.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)

How very sad
Old
  (#38)
Alf Taylor
AzB Silver Member
Alf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeAlf Taylor has a reputation beyond repute

How very sad - 08-21-2018, 08:04 AM

For what it's worth, to those of you who didn't know Dick, he, not oly was a first class player, he was an even better human being. I met him first in the 60s, at the Cotton Palace in Dallas. Man, could he play one pocket. The way he moved around the balls with his three inch, open handed bridge was uncanny.. I was just a kid at the time so he gave me 9 to 6.for 50. a game.I quit him 6 games winner and left without a word. The next night when he saw me he asked, :Why did you quit me you little chicken shit?" I told him my wife had a baby and I needed the money to get them out of the hospital. Without the least hesitation he said, : Hell buddy, You should have told me. I'd have given you the money for that." And, he would have.
Our local champion was U.J. Puckett, a good player and animal hustler. Well, SJD tortured him. There was a pole obstructing one area of the table.and Dick stuck Puckett up against it until Puckett raged. The outcome of the game was obvious.
After many years of both of us leaving the racket, Dick and I re-connected. He had retired from UPS and was living in Phoenix, where he suffered from a stroke. A few years back we drove to a tournament in Vegas where he got to see many of his old friends.I regret not spending more time with him. He was a easy going gentleman. I will surely miss him. Rest in peace, you nice man. Alf

Old
  (#39)
Jack Justis
CASEMAKER
Jack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond reputeJack Justis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

08-21-2018, 11:32 AM

I think he came to visit you when our booths were next to each other at the BCA a new years ago, Good hearing from you. Hope all is well.

JUSTIS CASES

MADE IN THE USA

Old
  (#40)
bstroud
Deceased
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Taylor View Post
For what it's worth, to those of you who didn't know Dick, he, not oly was a first class player, he was an even better human being. I met him first in the 60s, at the Cotton Palace in Dallas. Man, could he play one pocket. The way he moved around the balls with his three inch, open handed bridge was uncanny.. I was just a kid at the time so he gave me 9 to 6.for 50. a game.I quit him 6 games winner and left without a word. The next night when he saw me he asked, :Why did you quit me you little chicken shit?" I told him my wife had a baby and I needed the money to get them out of the hospital. Without the least hesitation he said, : Hell buddy, You should have told me. I'd have given you the money for that." And, he would have.
Our local champion was U.J. Puckett, a good player and animal hustler. Well, SJD tortured him. There was a pole obstructing one area of the table.and Dick stuck Puckett up against it until Puckett raged. The outcome of the game was obvious.
After many years of both of us leaving the racket, Dick and I re-connected. He had retired from UPS and was living in Phoenix, where he suffered from a stroke. A few years back we drove to a tournament in Vegas where he got to see many of his old friends.I regret not spending more time with him. He was a easy going gentleman. I will surely miss him. Rest in peace, you nice man. Alf
Alf,

Pic from the event.

Bill S.
Attached Images

Old
  (#41)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-22-2018, 03:52 AM

Lenny, thank for being a true friend to Dick the last few years when his life was the toughest. I'm gonna miss my old buddy. Dick was not a pool hustler in the sense that he didn't try to disguise his game or try to hustle anyone. Dick would go looking for the best players and beat them even up playing One Pocket, the ultimate hustler's game.

First time I ever saw Dick was at Ronnie Allen's poolroom in the San Fernando Valley (Big Momma's I think it was called) back in the late 60's. I walk in and Ronnie is playing this clean cut nice looking guy on table 1 and I figure someone is getting robbed here. Foolish me! The clean cut guy keeps winning games and Ronnie keeps going to the cash register to get more money. I think Ronnie was giving him 10-8 and break apiece. I couldn't understand how somebody was beating my hero Ronnie Allen. I wasn't used to seeing that happen, like never.

To this day, the only two guys I ever saw get the best of Ronnie were Little Al and San Jose Dick. I never forgot Dick after that and shortly thereafter he seemed to drop off the face of the Earth. I didn't know that he got married and got a straight job until maybe 25 years later when he showed up for my tournament in L.A. in 1993. He still played good but not like he did that first night I saw him torture the great R.A.

I got to know Dick much better after that and I truly liked him and his straightforward manner. There was no guessing about where Dick stood on anything and he didn't hold back his opinion either. I had a lot of respect for him as a man now and not just as a pool player. He never lamented giving up pool for the straight life and felt that he had made the right choice. He said more than once that these years with his wife were the best of his life. That left a strong impression on me.

God bless you Dick and thanks for being the man you were!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 08-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 123