Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Billiard and Pool History in the U.S.
Reload this Page Are 10ft Tables Bad ?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-08-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock View Post
In my opinion, if you're working with limited space and doing your best to monetize each and every square foot of a poolroom, a 10-footer is probably not worth the risk. You could almost fit two bar boxes in the same space which could yield twice as much revenue for your weekend walk-ins and be very popular with your 8ball league players. On the other hand, if you already have a handful of top professionals frequenting your room and making big games, a 10-footer will feel like an easy decision.
yup, and I'm sure the room owners in 1921 were thinking the same exact thing.

Old
  (#17)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Love the article. Although I kinda find the logic to similar to saying, most golfers don't have access to PGA standard courses so pros should compete on the easier club courses to give the rest of us a chance.

That said, I've always had this image of pool rooms in the early 20th century packed with 10 footers. I guess I was very mistaken.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Old
  (#18)
Mr. Bond
Orbis Non Sufficit
Mr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Bond has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Smith View Post
Love the article. Although I kinda find the logic to similar to saying, most golfers don't have access to PGA standard courses so pros should compete on the easier club courses to give the rest of us a chance.

That said, I've always had this image of pool rooms in the early 20th century packed with 10 footers. I guess I was very mistaken.
Agreed

The nicer places did primarily have 10ft tables, but way more of them were billard tables than pocket tables. The smaller and small town halls stuck to 9ft.

Old
  (#19)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bond View Post
Agreed

The nicer places did primarily have 10ft tables, but way more of them were billard tables than pocket tables. The smaller and small town halls stuck to 9ft.
Interesting! So very much like how things are now with 7 foot and 9 foot tables.

Also of note in that article is the writers opinion of the standard of play between 10 and 9 foot tables. It appears that he is inferring that matches on 10 foot tables were more of a tactical affair than on the smaller tables.

On a side note, although the writer believes longer runs to be preferable to the audience member, perhaps the movement to 9 foot tables hurt straight pool in the long term? Long runs are fine occasionally for the average viewer but I would think more back and forth to be preferable, which the 10 foot apparently provided during straight pools apparent glory days.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Page 2 of 2 12