Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Billiard and Pool History in the U.S.
Reload this Page The Snap Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
The Snap Magazine
Old
  (#1)
billiardhistory
Billiard History Buff
billiardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond reputebilliardhistory has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The Snap Magazine - 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Folks,

I posted this on the Main Forum before I realized there was a forum dedicated to Billiard and Pool History, which would have been more appropriate for the subject.

Anyway, I basically wanted to let people who might be interested know that there is a new memorial website dedicated to The Snap Magazine. If you're not familiar with The Snap, it was one of the most popular billiard magazines back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and is desribed in various venues as "the best of all pool publications," and as being "among the best billiard publications ever."

The Snap was known for its humorous and frank, no-holds-barred editorial tone, often publishing articles that did not sanitize or gloss over things like hustling, gambling and other topics most billiard publications of the day shied away from. The Hustler column alone was often worth the price of the magazine, since it profiled many well known billiard stars, telling honest stories about their early backgrounds as road men. With columnists, instruction writers and contributors like Benny "The Goose" Conway, Buddy Hall, Grady Mathews, Johnny Archer, Mike Massey, Ray Martin, David Howard, and many others, various issues of The Snap now read like a virtual history of the sport.

Anyone interested in billiard history should find the site worth at least a few minutes of their time. It contains articles on the magazine's history and other aspects of its development and lifespan, plus a section showcasing each individual issue, with stories about how they were conceived and put together, plus scanned graphics of the covers (with enlargements if you click on the cover), of the tables of contents, and of a selection of articles.

Because getting hold of Snap back issues is a rather expensive proposition today (many sell for up to $150 each, and a complete set might run you $1500 or more), those who do not own copies can learn a lot about the magazine and its history by visiting this website. If anyone is interesed, the site is located at:

http://www.thesnapmagazine.com/

There is also a Wikipedia page about The Snap at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snap_Magazine

Old
  (#2)
STORMINORMAN
AzB Silver Member
STORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond reputeSTORMINORMAN has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2010, 04:17 PM

like everything in life cost continues to go up up up i have 3 issuses of the snap , 1 of which is the szamboti monthly that are 4 sale and a complete edition of billiard digest , 6 issuses, from 1978 in mint condition and other magazines

Old
  (#3)
OneArmBandit
Registered
OneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond reputeOneArmBandit has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2010, 09:48 PM

I just had someone Email me that The Snap Magazine archive/memorial was on line. I just logged in here for the first time in years to see if anyone had posted a link to this archive.

It's worth a look.

FWIW I was the "Production Editor" for the first issue, really just helping out doing the prepress film work.

Old
  (#4)
billiardcue
11th Commandment
billiardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-09-2011, 03:33 PM

This magazine was the best pool magazine ever written. It was written by pool players for players and told it like it was.

I know Tom Shaw, Mike Panozzo and J.R. Calvert probably don't agree - all three publish excellent billiard magazines.

It's a shame that it only lasted 13 issues.

I have two complete sets for sale if anyone has an interest in them.

Dick Abbott

BilliardCue.com ~ custom & collectible billiard instruments
Cuepics.com ~ professional cue photography
Thisis'Ames'Mister.com ~ eye candy for the cue connoisseur
dick@billiardcue.com
540 772 7827
"We are all born ignorant, but we must work hard to remain stupid"

Have 6 Issues
Old
  (#5)
John Disque
Banned
John Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Disque has a reputation beyond repute

Have 6 Issues - 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM

This magazine continues to sky-rocket in value and I'm entertaining the thought of releasing my collection, which includes 6 issues.

If anyone is interested - please respond.

'The Snap' magazine
Old
  (#6)
billiardcue
11th Commandment
billiardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond reputebilliardcue has a reputation beyond repute

'The Snap' magazine - 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardcue View Post
This magazine was the best pool magazine ever written. It was written by pool players for players and told it like it was.

I know Tom Shaw, Mike Panozzo and J.R. Calvert probably don't agree - all three publish excellent billiard magazines.

It's a shame that it only lasted 13 issues.

I have two complete sets for sale if anyone has an interest in them.
The final edition - Volume 3 number 1

Name:  snapmag_vol 3.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  99.3 KB

Volume 1 numbers 1-6

Name:  snapmag_vol 1.jpg
Views: 1977
Size:  102.8 KB

Volume 2 numbers 1-6

Name:  snapmag_vol 2.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  103.9 KB

Dick Abbott

dick@billiardcue.com
540 772 7827

Old
  (#7)
Colonel
Living The Dream
Colonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond reputeColonel has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2016, 04:33 AM

Interested in the final issue. You've been Pm'ed.

Kentucky Fried Lock of the World Famous Lock Society

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom... You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough"
-William Blake

Old
  (#8)
billiardcue
11th Commandment

07-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Attachment 427418

Volume 1 numbers 1-6

Attachment 427416

Volume 2 numbers 1-6

Attachment 427417
I have the following issues of “The Snap” magazine available:

1 - Complete set (13 issues) never mailed, pristine condition - $1,000.
1 - Complete set (13 issues) with mailing labels, excellent condition, Volume 1 Number 1 is a limited edition numbered reprint - $800.
2 - Volume 1 Number 1 limited edited numbered reprints pristine condition - $200.
1 - Volume 1 Number 2 pristine condition - $200.

Dick Abbott

dick@billiardcue.com
540 772 7827

Old
  (#9)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Attachment 427418

Volume 1 numbers 1-6

Attachment 427416

Volume 2 numbers 1-6

Attachment 427417
In addition to having:
Volume 1 Numbers 3 & 4
and
Volume 2 Numbers 1,2,3,4 and 5

I also have the Jacket size large in like new condition worn maybe 2 or 3 times and never washed (this jacket is over 25 years old and still feels new)
Shown here:
Attached Images

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#10)
Kevin Lindstrom
14.1 Addict
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6237

06-21-2017, 09:59 AM

subscribed for future reference.

Thanks

Kevin

SCREW IT LETS RIDE

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-21-2017, 10:20 PM

I have extra copies of nine of the issues. My email: bobjewett@sonic.net

The site that was linked above with the history of the magazine and such seems to have been abandoned, presumably because it costs money to keep a site registered. Now it's filled with crap. Or maybe there was a copyright issue. Whatever the case, archive.org captured the site in 2010. Here it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/201012140...gazine.com:80/

They have captured some other dates as well. I don't know if there were any significant changes.

If you use archive.org, remember to give them some money. Donations are voluntary and appreciated.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I have extra copies of nine of the issues. My email: bobjewett@sonic.net ...
After finding another box in storage, I now have extra copies of all issues except for the original first issue.

Here is an issue of another "On The Snap" magazine along with the people involved.

Name:  CA_OnTheSnap 001.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  CA_OnTheSnap 002.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  117.8 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#13)
Big Red
Registered
Big Red is on a distinguished road

09-11-2018, 03:29 PM

I have the following issues for sale. More to follow. Message me if interested.

Name:  20180911_150024_resized.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  20180911_150033_resized.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  20180911_150042_resized.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  35.8 KB

Name:  20180911_150050_resized.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  20180911_150059_resized.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  33.7 KB

~ I used to be a people person, but people ruined that for me. ~

Old
  (#14)
Big Red
Registered
Big Red is on a distinguished road

09-11-2018, 03:31 PM

These as well.

Name:  20180911_150105_resized.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  20180911_150121_resized.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  20180911_150128_resized.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  20180911_150136_resized.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  20180911_150142_resized.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  27.9 KB

~ I used to be a people person, but people ruined that for me. ~

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

01-23-2020, 03:11 PM

In case anyone needs to fill out their collection, I have all but issue #2 available.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 2 1 2