Reload this Page Richard black
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Richard black
Old
  (#1)
ymiryang
AzB Silver Member
ymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond reputeymiryang has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Richard black - 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM

Hello guys, have searched but not found much information of Richard Black cues. Anybody have feedback or review of it? How does hit feel like? And also not many of his cues for sale. Please comments. Thank you!

Old
  (#2)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2016, 08:15 PM

The best cue I ever had was one I had Richard Black make me back in 1978, just a few years after he started making cues. I regret selling it. The only reason I sold it was because I had him make me another and I sold the first one before I got familiar with the second one.

The second one was nice and more expensive than the first one, but the first one played better to me.

He makes first rate cues and is amongst the top cue makers in the world.

Old
  (#3)
Drawman623
Box Cue lover
Drawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-21-2016, 01:28 PM

I have owned 6 or 7 of Richard's cue. At this point, all I have left is the SNAP box cue which is one of his more known creations. I've referred to him as the great eclectic. Black draws inspiration from all around him and may be the most creative cue designer of his time.

Hall of Fame status and long tenure of successful operation aside, I would buy a Richard Black cue in a heartbeat if I want a great player. They tend to have a quieter hit and impart powerful spin on the ball. The squirt or deflection of every Black cue I have owned is very predictable...they shoot where I aim.

My nickname in pool is drawman. In my day, I have shocked a few pros with a big draw stroke. Richard Black cues have always been my cues of choice when going for maximum power.

No matter what you choose, you will find those who disagree and point you elsewhere. I'll gladly match up with any of them if I choose the shot and have a Black to fire it; they are fine cues that bring out my best game.

If you are having trouble finding any offered, check with John Bender of New Jersey. Richard Black is his close friend and mentor in cue making. Bender builds fantastic cues and has learned a thing or two from the Master.

As an aside: Black always reminded me that his tips are important to his cues hit. He has always promptly turned around my shafts after tip work. If the cue has a layered tip, it may not have the same magic as it's maker intended. I suggest original tips or a quick call to Mr. Black about tip replacement

After a pushout: "Give it back and I'll show you how to make it...or shoot it yourself and you'll never know." Garten Bierbower

Last edited by Drawman623; 04-21-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Drawman623
Box Cue lover
Drawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond reputeDrawman623 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-21-2016, 01:35 PM

I have owned 6 or 7 of Richard's cue. At this point, all I have left is the SNAP box cue which is one of his more known creations. I've referred to him as the great eclectic. Black draws inspiration from all around him and may be the most creative cue designer of his time.

Hall of Fame status and long tenure of successful operation aside, I would buy a Richard Black cue in a heartbeat if I want a great player. They tend to have a quieter hit and impart powerful spin on the ball. The squirt or deflection of every Black cue I have owned is very predictable...they shoot where I aim.

My nickname in pool is drawman. In my day, I have shocked a few pros with a big draw stroke. Richard Black cues have always been my cues of choice when going for maximum power.

No matter what you choose, you will find those who disagree and point you elsewhere. I'll gladly match up with any of them if I choose the shot and have a Black to fire it; they are fine cues that bring out my best game.

If you are having trouble finding any offered, check with John Bender of New Jersey. Richard Black is his close friend and mentor in cue making. Bender builds fantastic cues and has learned a thing or two from the Master.

After a pushout: "Give it back and I'll show you how to make it...or shoot it yourself and you'll never know." Garten Bierbower

Old
  (#5)
matcase
Blondie's #1 fan
matcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond reputematcase has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

04-25-2016, 11:40 AM

I have one. One of the best for sure

[[/SIGPIC]

Old
  (#6)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2016, 07:19 PM

I bought the second Hoppe-style cue he made. The first was made for some hack named Mizerak. If you like they way an old-school steel-joint plays then you'll love it. Better get one soon because i doubt he's going to be making cues a whole lot longer. Super nice guy to boot.

Old
  (#7)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-27-2016, 12:16 PM

I owned a ivory joint Richard Black Bushka cue and wish I could get it back.

If anyone out there has such a cue <19 ozs. available, send me a PM but soon.

After June 30th, the CA ivory ban interferes with me acquiring any more pool cues.

HawaiiEye was correct about RB cues...moves the cue ball effortlessly & custom tips.

Richard makes his own cue tips & he should sell them commercially....absolutely great!

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#8)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I bought the second Hoppe-style cue he made. The first was made for some hack named Mizerak. If you like they way an old-school steel-joint plays then you'll love it. Better get one soon because i doubt he's going to be making cues a whole lot longer. Super nice guy to boot.
I tried to get him to make me a Hoppe-style cue when I had him make my first cue, but he talked me out of it.

He said he hadn't "perfected" the Hoppe-style yet and they made a "pinging" sound of some sort that he couldn't get rid of. He suggested I should buy a regular 4-point instead, even though the Hoppe-style cue would have cost me more to make.

He perfected them later and I never got around to buying one. I still think of having him make me another cue, but I have had him make me two already and I'm not really in the market to buy any more cues at the moment.

Old
  (#9)
oneshotwiss
AzB Silver Member
oneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond reputeoneshotwiss has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2016, 04:16 AM

He isn't in the Cue Makers Hall of Fame for no reason

playing cue: Ariel Carmeli
other cues owned: Ariel Carmeli x 3, Joss West, Sugartree x 2, Kenny Murrell x 3, Paul Dayton, Pierce, Kornele, Schon

"the game winning shot is always the one you're looking at..."

Old
  (#10)
ArtT
Registered
ArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond reputeArtT has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2016, 12:00 PM

I have one and it has been my main playing cue for years. I love the way it plays and hits.

Old
  (#11)
JimD
Registered
JimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond reputeJimD has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2020, 10:48 AM

I have a 20 year old Bushka. It is a great playing cue. I had an 80’s vintage but sold it because it was a tad too heavy for my liking. I always missed it and eventually replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#12)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2020, 12:30 PM

Great cues. I've owned two and wish i'd kept my '82 Hoppe style.

Last edited by garczar; 04-11-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Old
  (#13)
Korsakoff
AzB Gold Member
Korsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond repute

04-13-2020, 08:29 AM

I have two that Richard made for me in 1987.

One is a Bushka with a stainless steel joint and Irish Linen wrap. It has a very firm hit and I've played the most with it.

The other is a custom with an Ivory joint and leather wrap. It hits softer. It has an Ivory butt and Ivory points. The butt and points have the four symbols from Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso) done in scrimshaw.

Old
  (#14)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2020, 01:48 PM

Have had 3, 1 played great the other 2 not so much.

Some of the worst inlay work in the business, probably the worst.

I still like his work though, some great designs but I dont think tolerances mean much to him and that's ok, cues are meant to be played with.

Old
  (#15)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Out of several dozen higher end customs that I have owned- by various makers- my very first is still my favorite player- RB Split Diamond model from 2003- bought directly from him - NO cue I have ever owned feels as good in my hands as his cue . The ONE cue that goes to my grave with me for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2