Reload this Page Jeanette Lee & Follow Through
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Jeanette Lee & Follow Through
Old
  (#1)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Jeanette Lee & Follow Through - 05-27-2016, 03:23 PM

I was reading in a Billiards Digest from July 2007 where Jeanette Lee said you should have a follow through of 12 to 18 inches.

Seriously? Or did I read that wrong?

r/Mike

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#2)
Cameron Smith
is kind of hungry...
Cameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond reputeCameron Smith has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
I was reading in a Billiards Digest from July 2007 where Jeanette Lee said you should have a follow through of 12 to 18 inches.

Seriously? Or did I read that wrong?

r/Mike
Is this on the break or in general? I looked up a match of hers and she didn't follow through much, maybe a couple inches in that particular match (at least from what I watched). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Zgcj14aM

Follow through is essentially about timing and allowing the cue to come to a natural finish so you aren't decelerating into the ball. 12-18 inches artificially extends the follow through and does nothing for you.

I'd say on most shots I'm about 2-4 inches, and power shots maybe 4-6 inches. I haven't measured so I'm guessing.

I would kill for a nobel peace prize

Last edited by Cameron Smith; 05-27-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Old
  (#3)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Smith View Post
Is this on the break or in general? I looked up a match of hers and she didn't follow through much, maybe a couple inches in that particular match (at least from what I watched). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Zgcj14aM

Follow through is essentially about timing and allowing the cue to come to a natural finish so you aren't decelerating into the ball. 12-18 inches artificially extends the follow through and does nothing for you.

I'd say on most shots I'm about 2-4 inches, and power shots maybe 4-6 inches. I haven't measured so I'm guessing.
This is key. Like the most important part, and it can differ from person to person.

I just recorded a video of myself on the kitchen table with a ruler. I used two different grip positions/bridge lengths, and both times my follow through was about 6.25"

For me, my natural finish is when my grip hand goes slightly past my chest (doesn't hit my chest). It's just a natural motion of the arm closing as much as it can. If I don't close it enough, my stroke feels jerky and if I follow past the natural finish it goes off line. I would classify my stroke as a J-Stroke (Pendulum with Elbow Drop after Contact).

And in the few minutes it took to type all that my video is uploaded.

Old
  (#4)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2016, 04:57 PM

But to answer the OP's question, I have to imagine Jeanette may have been talking about the break. I can't see her (or anyone) saying you should follow through 12 to 18 inches on a normal shot.

Old
  (#5)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

05-27-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Smith View Post
Is this on the break or in general?
I just went and looked. Billiards Digest, June 2007, page 16, down at the bottom. She says 12-18 inches on every shot.

No wonder she wasn't getting much business on that Jeanette Lee Experience adventure of hers.

r/Mike

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#6)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member

05-27-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I just went and looked. Billiards Digest, June 2007, page 16, down at the bottom. She says 12-18 inches on every shot.

No wonder she wasn't getting much business on that Jeanette Lee Experience adventure of hers.

r/Mike
Maybe it was a typo or she misspoke. I dont' think Sigel who has one of the biggest elbow drops in the game had a follow through that long.

Old
  (#7)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Poolplayers, even pros, CAN learn something new...if you have an open mind. Since that article was published, Jeanette has spent considerable time with Jerry Briesath, and now shoots with a pretty smooth finish juat a few inches past the CB. If you watch her newest video, she comments about the finish, and how an extended finish isn't needed or required.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:

r/Mike

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#8)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member

05-27-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Poolplayers, even pros, CAN learn something new...if you have an open mind. Since that article was published, Jeanette has spent considerable time with Jerry Briesath, and now shoots with a pretty smooth finish juat a few inches past the CB. If you watch her newest video, she comments about the finish, and how an extended finish isn't needed or required.

Scott Lee
For those interested, I believe this is the video Scott is referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_DvTmCJfM

Old
  (#9)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-28-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post

thanks for the link
i enjoyed the video
the analogy with the baby on the swing was one i never heard before
and a good one

Old
  (#10)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
the analogy with the baby on the swing was one i never heard before
and a good one
There are a lot of golfers who could learn something from this video

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Old
  (#11)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. It has been bookmarked.

One of the things she mentions in this video is when she was not hitting the balls well she didn't know what to fix.

Learning the correct fundamentals and being able to repeat them for this game is a long process. That's why conscious effort must be made during practice sessions to perfect each part of the fundamentals until they become automatic and are no longer given any conscious thought. The nice thing about this is when your game is off you can recognize what needs to be fixed.

What I do is practice my fundamentals consciously about 10 hours a week. On Fridays I meet with a friend to play for about four hours not giving any conscious thought to anything accept put the ball in the whole and put the QB there. Its like shooting pool with your sub-conscious.

If I should have a break down in my fundamentals during play. I now know what I need to focus on during practice.

Back on topic. To me the follow thru and power is a feel thing depending on the shot, it could be anywhere from 1" to 12". I always finish and try to use the same cue stick speed. This has me changing my grip placement on the cue for just about every shot and still come to the same finish point.

Have fun out there.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 05-28-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

05-28-2016, 05:44 PM

Actually it isn't! That's an instructional video JL made for the APA. I was talking about her own instructional video. Nonetheless, both make some good points.

Scott Lee

Quote:

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member

05-28-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Actually it isn't! That's an instructional video JL made for the APA. I was talking about her own instructional video. Nonetheless, both make some good points.

Scott Lee
Thanks for clarifying, Scott.

Do you know where one could purchase her instructional video?

Old
  (#14)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

05-29-2016, 11:53 AM

Try any billiards supply store...Seyberts, Ozone, etc. I think you can buy if from her website too...www.blackwidowbilliards.com

EDIT...Hmmm...I looked at all three places, and did NOT see her video for sale, even on her own site. That's strange.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, Scott.

Do you know where one could purchase her instructional video?

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 05-29-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Old
  (#15)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member

05-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Try any billiards supply store...Seyberts, Ozone, etc. I think you can buy if from her website too...www.blackwidowbilliards.com

EDIT...Hmmm...I looked at all three places, and did NOT see her video for sale, even on her own site. That's strange.

Scott Lee
No worries. Thanks anyways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2