Reload this Page Stroke question
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Stroke question
Old
  (#1)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member
Charles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Stroke question - 08-19-2020, 03:37 PM

When I practice the mofudat drill, I usually put a slight amount of right english on the cue ball. Are there some common stroke flaws that cause this? Thank you.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Hartfield View Post
When I practice the mofudat drill, I usually put a slight amount of right english on the cue ball. Are there some common stroke flaws that cause this? Thank you.
Typically it is due to incorrect alignment. A little on the right side of the cue ball looks like the center to you. As a check, consciously put your head a little to the left and right of your natural position.

Try a video recording with the camera exactly along the line of shot.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member
Charles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond reputeCharles Hartfield has a reputation beyond repute

08-19-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Typically it is due to incorrect alignment. A little on the right side of the cue ball looks like the center to you. As a check, consciously put your head a little to the left and right of your natural position.

Try a video recording with the camera exactly along the line of shot.
Thank you sir. I will give this a try.

Old
  (#4)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

08-19-2020, 04:08 PM

mofudat drill. I had to look it up. mofudat. Seriously? LOL

Anyway, there are a couple of possible ways to troubleshoot the problem: Try this first: If you use a closed bridge, try shooting it with a V-bridge. Does anything change?

Old
  (#5)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member

08-20-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
mofudat drill. I had to look it up. mofudat. Seriously? LOL

Anyway, there are a couple of possible ways to troubleshoot the problem: Try this first: If you use a closed bridge, try shooting it with a V-bridge. Does anything change?
I always use an open bridge when I practice the drill.

Old
  (#6)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I always use an open bridge when I practice the drill.
Do you normally shoot with an open bridge too?

Old
  (#7)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member

08-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Do you normally shoot with an open bridge too?
Yes I do. I use a closed bridge on rare occasion for a power shot.

Old
  (#8)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

08-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yes I do. I use a closed bridge on rare occasion for a power shot.
Well, try the drill with a closed bridge and see what happens.

Why do you shoot mainly with a V bridge?

Old
  (#9)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member

08-20-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well, try the drill with a closed bridge and see what happens.

Why do you shoot mainly with a V bridge?
I will try the drill with a closed bridge. I use the open bridge because it is less friction on the cue. I live in a humid climate. I’m going to try using a glove to see if it helps.

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I will try the drill with a closed bridge. I use the open bridge because it is less friction on the cue. I live in a humid climate. I’m going to try using a glove to see if it helps.
I use an open bridge because it gives me an unobstructed view of my shaft and a better view of the CB. I don't know of any physical disadvantages with it, even for hard high-spin shots. The shaft tends to hop out of the V on some shots, but that's after the CB is gone, and I don't even notice any more.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 08-20-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Old
  (#11)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

08-21-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I use an open bridge because it gives me an unobstructed view of my shaft and a better view of the CB. I don't know of any physical disadvantages with it, even for hard high-spin shots. The shaft tends to hop out of the V on some shots, but that's after the CB is gone, and I don't even notice any more.

pj
chgo
I played with an open bridge for about a year, and that included playing in pro tournaments. I did that because I was playing with Ray Schuler's constant taper which is a taper used by carom players who usually have shorter bridge lengths so they didn't feel the sharp taper going through their fingers with a closed bridge like I did with my longer bridge length. I came to the conclusion that after a year, for me, it was a disadvantage to play 99 percent of shots with a V bridge in pool. It's different in snooker with the smaller,lighter balls and cue. Anyway, I reverted back to a closed bridge and changed my shaft.

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-21-2020, 11:17 AM

PJ...One disadvantage is if you have a issue with tightening up on higher speed shots, the cue can come right off your bridge hand finishing up in the air...never good! The other potential disadvantage, if you are a pendulum stroker using the weight of the cue and timing to create your perfect stroke speed...is the physics of the "bounce factor". The 3-1 weight ratio is plenty to create even break speed with no tight grip or extended followthrough.

So a 6oz CB struck with a level 18-20oz cuestick does provide a modicum of resistance...meaning that even with a perfect swing, the cue could possibly 'bounce' up off your bridge hand a little, perhaps causing a slight execution error. A closed bridge will eliminate that potential bounce, and deliver the cue straight through to the intended target! So I recommend a closed bridge for power shots like the break, or a power draw stroke.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post

pj
chgo

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2020, 11:22 AM

Charles Hartfield...A glove will make a tremendous difference. Learn to use a closed bridge...it's important. You can like an open bridge better...I do...but you MUST master a closed bridge, among other bridges. We teach 5 main bridge types.

Anyone can make up names for any drills they want to, but it doesn't make them proprietary. We call that one a Mother Drill...just one of seven.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#14)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

08-21-2020, 11:33 AM

Charles Hartfield...There are any of a dozen reasons why you're not stroking the CB accurately. What they are, and how they affect you (as well as how to correct them) can only be done through video analysis. Seek out an instructor who uses video analysis. I can recommend Rufus Carter in Houston, or Randy Goettlicher in Dallas. Either one of them can help you solve your problem permanently. You can find their information on the PBIA website... playbetterbilliards.com, or PM them here on this site. Or you can PM me for their phone numbers.

Scott Lee
Quote:

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#15)
Charles Hartfield
AzB Silver Member

08-21-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Charles Hartfield...There are any of a dozen reasons why you're not stroking the CB accurately. What they are, and how they affect you (as well as how to correct them) can only be done through video analysis. Seek out an instructor who uses video analysis. I can recommend Rufus Carter in Houston, or Randy Goettlicher in Dallas. Either one of them can help you solve your problem permanently. You can find their information on the PBIA website... playbetterbilliards.com, or PM them here on this site. Or you can PM me for their phone numbers.

Scott Lee
Thank you for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2