Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Memories of Steve Mizerak
Reload this Page gambling
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
gambling
Old
  (#1)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

gambling - 06-01-2006, 08:39 AM

I know Steve is mainly known for his tournaments and exhibitions but Im sure in his younger days he was a big gambler....Lets hear some of those stories.
________

Last edited by xianmacx; 01-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old
  (#2)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianmacx
I know Steve is mainly known for his tournaments and exhibitions but Im sure in his younger days he was a big gambler....Lets hear some of those stories.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Steve was not known for his gambling. He did occasionally play a 14.1 match for a few bucks but that just wasn't his thing.
He worked hard for his money as a schoolteacher and had a family to support, so gambling didn't appeal to him.

In tournaments he was a big favorite to win the money, and he didn't consider that to be a gamble. And besides, who really wanted to play Steve Mizerak Straight Pool for money (or 9-Ball for that matter). I can only recall a couple of occasions where someone barked at Steve to play. Once they saw that he was willing, they backed down.

Old
  (#3)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2006, 10:50 AM

I know this may sound funny but Im always suprised that someone can get to that level at pool without years of gambling. Seems like thats what really puts that killer edge on alot of players. Although im not condoning it, being busted and playing on the nerves seems to teach alot of players "how to win". I think to get to his level of play and win under those big pressure tourneys is a HUGE feat without getting "seasoned on the road".

This says even more to me about the mans ability.
________

Last edited by xianmacx; 01-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old
  (#4)
thepavlos
AzB Silver Member
thepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond reputethepavlos has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2425

06-01-2006, 01:38 PM

One of the best comments I remember was from the Legends of One Pocket final match (on video) when he lost to Steve Cook and says with a joking demeanor that everyone there is lucky that him and Steve Cook don't shoot pool full time like the rest of them?????

"Make up your mind and do what I tell you" - My Father

Brain: Are you naturally that stupid Pinky?
Pinky: Oh no Brain, I practice, all day ... all night

RESULTS NOT TYPICAL... INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY VARY

Old
  (#5)
scottycoyote
AzB Silver Member
scottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2006, 10:06 PM

seems like i remember reading one of miz's books and he talked some about gambling early on before he got to be well known.......but yeah you could tell gambling wasnt big on his list.

Old
  (#6)
StraightPoolIU
Brent
StraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond reputeStraightPoolIU has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

06-01-2006, 10:15 PM

I really liked the point that Jay made about "who would want to play Steve Mizerak". Just like Fast Eddie says in TCOM if you were woofing to play The Miz for the cash you probably had "too much of one and not enough of the other".

"No bar, no bowling alley, no pinball machines. Just pool. Nothin else."

Playing Cue: 2003 Pechauer P15
Break Cue: Joss Thor Hammer (purpleheart with ironwood rings)
Jump Cue: OB Lift
Current Tip: G2
Shaft: OB Pro Plus

Old
  (#7)
gin314
Registered
gin314 is on a distinguished road

08-14-2006, 08:48 PM

i know larry liscotti busted him once and got a balabushka off him and the a few months later he beat him in the finals of the world stright pool with the same cue

Old
  (#8)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin314
i know larry liscotti busted him once and got a balabushka off him and the a few months later he beat him in the finals of the world stright pool with the same cue
Larry beat Steve in One Pocket when Steve knew nothing about the game. He hustled him and Larry was one of the best hustlers ever. Got me once too. After this Steve determined to learn how to play One Hole and eventually became one of the best at it as well. In fact, I believe Steve beat Larry in the only tournament One Pocket match they ever played in Philly.

Old
  (#9)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

08-15-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Larry beat Steve in One Pocket when Steve knew nothing about the game. He hustled him and Larry was one of the best hustlers ever. Got me once too. After this Steve determined to learn how to play One Hole and eventually became one of the best at it as well. In fact, I believe Steve beat Larry in the only tournament One Pocket match they ever played in Philly.
And yes, Steve did do some gambling when he was in college in Louisiana and Iowa I believe. He was well known around Lake Charles and Alexandria in the mid 60's. I went thru there and they tried to match me up with him and I already knew Steve. Once he became a teacher and started working his gambling career came to an end.

Forest Park Billiards in Dayton, OH
Old
  (#10)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Forest Park Billiards in Dayton, OH - 08-16-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Steve and I played 4 out of 7 Onepocket in Dayton, OH at Joe Burns tourney for 500$. I could have bet 1000$ if I had wanted to. He was trying to give me 10 to 7 but couldnt outrun that much spot and quit after the first set. He ran 10 and out all three games that he won.

the Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#11)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
08-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Didnt Miz bet $5k with Shannon Daulton on their finals match for an early 90s Legends of One Pocket Tournament?

Old
  (#12)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

08-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard
Steve and I played 4 out of 7 Onepocket in Dayton, OH at Joe Burns tourney for 500$. I could have bet 1000$ if I had wanted to. He was trying to give me 10 to 7 but couldnt outrun that much spot and quit after the first set. He ran 10 and out all three games that he won.

the Beard
I'm not saying Steve never gambled, but it was not his M.O. He had a lot of pride and wouldn't let anyone woof at him. I never say him play for high stakes or heard of it either. I don't know about his match with Shannon, but knowing Shannon, he might have tried to stir Steve up. And Steve might have gone for it. In a sitiuation like that, I would have bet on Steve. He had a lot of pride, and was a fierce competitor.

Old
  (#13)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying Steve never gambled, but it was not his M.O. He had a lot of pride and wouldn't let anyone woof at him. I never say him play for high stakes or heard of it either. I don't know about his match with Shannon, but knowing Shannon, he might have tried to stir Steve up. And Steve might have gone for it. In a sitiuation like that, I would have bet on Steve. He had a lot of pride, and was a fierce competitor.
I was at West End (NJ) one night and Steve beat Frankie giving him the 6 in the tourney. Frankie barked and they played downstairs even after the tournament and Frankie got the cash but im not sure how much. Pretty lame story i know but but it's better than nothing...maybe.

Old
  (#14)
vagabond
AzB Silver Member
vagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond reputevagabond has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostroke
I was at West End (NJ) one night and Steve beat Frankie giving him the 6 in the tourney. Frankie barked and they played downstairs even after the tournament and Frankie got the cash but im not sure how much. Pretty lame story i know but but it's better than nothing...maybe.

west End`s parking lot is not favorable to a Roadie.I felt that one can have his jaw broken easily by a sour looser .

Old
  (#15)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
west End`s parking lot is not favorable to a Roadie.I felt that one can have his jaw broken easily by a sour looser .

No matter-The place is history now-been closed for 3 years maybe.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »