Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Drills specific for 14.1...

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Drills specific for 14.1...
Old
  (#1)
mjdoutdoors
AzB Silver Member
mjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Drills specific for 14.1... - 10-27-2020, 07:43 PM

Durning this time of no competition, due to covid, I have made it a goal to break my high run of 65. I am looking for drills specific for 14.1 or ideas of what to focus on.
I have 2 hours or so each night after work to workout on my table. I spend my time doing lots drills and focused practice. I have had several mid 50's but braking that high run seems elusive. Ideas on how to get there?

Old
  (#2)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

10-27-2020, 08:25 PM

I don't know any 14.1 drills, but it's a game requiring very precise speed control. Developing your own speed control oriented drills should be easy enough. Also a good idea to work on your break shots, above and below the rack as well as side pocket break shots.

Old
  (#3)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-27-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdoutdoors View Post
Durning this time of no competition, due to covid, I have made it a goal to break my high run of 65. I am looking for drills specific for 14.1 or ideas of what to focus on.
I have 2 hours or so each night after work to workout on my table. I spend my time doing lots drills and focused practice. I have had several mid 50's but braking that high run seems elusive. Ideas on how to get there?
Why do your runs end? Without knowing that, it's really hard to say.

Very, very standard advice is to work on your weaknesses. If we don't know what they are, it's really hard to suggest something. It is not so easy to analyze your own weaknesses, but maybe you could look at a video of yourself and pick out one or two problem areas.

In the current issue of Billiards Digest I have drills to improve your small cluster breaking technique, if that's a problem.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdoutdoors View Post
My runs end because I'm not very good at pool but a video or two of you playing would allow people to critique your play and perhaps give constructive advice.

One thing you need in 14.1 is the ability precisely control the cue ball going one rail getting the exact angle you need off the rail. If you aren't already able to do that then put an object ball near the short rail beneath the rack. Put another object ball in the rack area. Practice pocketing the ball near the rail and running into the ball in the rack area. Change the angle and location of the balls. It sounds simple but you'd be surprised how many people can't do it consistently.

Last edited by alstl; 10-28-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Jerry Briesath's advice
Old
  (#5)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry Briesath's advice - 10-28-2020, 08:09 AM

I had a group lesson with Jerry Briesath a few years ago during DCC. Once I told him of my interest in 14.1 and he saw my level of play (high run of 51) he hit the nail right on the head when he said that most players at my level have the most trouble getting from one rack to the next.

He spent a few minutes explaining how I should practice by setting up a break ball of my choice, a key ball and a few random balls. Then take the cue ball in hand and pocket the random balls, then the key ball in order to get good shape on the break ball.

This is the best 14.1 advice I've ever gotten.

Old
  (#6)
The_JV
Local_Pro
The_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2020, 09:36 AM

Here... I just dreamed this one up:

Place a ball in what would be the center of the rack. Now place two balls at equal height 2" off the opposite long rails. Now place a ball at the center of the bottom short rail, 2" off.

With CB in hand, try to pocket one of the rail balls and carom into the rack ball to generate a break ball. Success is measured by your own honesty.

There's lots of ways to hit these shots. Will teach you precise weight, angle, spin.

A simple game, played by difficult people...

Old
  (#7)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2020, 01:37 PM

It’s quite labor intensive, but I usually practice the side break (and then re-rack) to insure I always choose the correct english depending on where the CB will strike the rack (so as to avoid a scratch and end up in the center of the table). Too many times over the years I forgot to check the carom angle, and using a lot of follow on the acute angle break STILL put whitey down the hole.

Old
  (#8)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

10-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Another situation where advising is difficult due to little knowledge of how you play. If I had to give any general advice to players running in the 30-60 range it would be the Brainwash drill.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: