Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page WWYD 14-1 End Pattern
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
VarmintKong
Registered
VarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-12-2020, 07:18 PM

Great thread idea iusedtoberich. I love variations on a theme.

This is good practice for me because:
1. I have trouble committing to a break ball when there are other strong options, such as in this scenario. Instead of identifying my break and key ball and executing with that singular focus in mind. I sometimes second guess myself and try to save all the break ball options for last. This lack of focus often leaves me guessing at a keyball and frequently results in a safety play to start the next rack or worse, an attempted hero shot and sellout.

2. When the table starts to empty I often find myself moving the cueball a lot more than necessary. In this scenario I found myself trying to move the cueball quite a bit to get angle on the 7 and then again moving quite a bit across the short side of the table, which resulted in a couple break shots that were much too thick when I was playing for the 2.

I ended up identifying the 1 as my break ball and 7 as my key ball. Shot 4 to set up a back cut on 13. Stun for stop shot on the 2. Slow roll the 11 for soft follow on the 7. Left break shot within diamond of side pocket.

I did find that I had to nudge the 1 just a red one when shooting the 11, but it didn’t interfere with the next shot or break. Also I wonder if I should have tried to pocket the 11 sooner, but this seemed like a good route to minimize movement?

I haven’t tried a route to the 13 as break ball yet, but will another time. I really enjoy those below the rack breaks where you can hit below the apex with some follow and come out to mid table.

Thanks so much for an awesome thread.

Old
  (#17)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I've corrected this in post 13. I mistook the two for the eight. It's the two that is best, but because access is limited, I'd play the pattern for the thirteen.
Would you go forward or draw the ball off the bottom of the rack?

Old
  (#18)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2020, 11:48 AM

Rollin' the 11 to the 13 is the easiest shot, and if you come up short or long on the next stripe, your still in line. Once the 11 is gone, interference with the one ball is no longer there. KIS

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#19)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

10-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_JV View Post
lol... best method of course

I would have gone into the pack a ton harder on the break shot though.

Crappy miss on that 13. The balls opened up nicely and should have been another 14 balls. Hard not to let down on the "easy" one when the table sitting pretty.
On the break shot of the next rack, I went softer with draw because I was on the angle with the CB that is a fuller cut. From the old straight pool instructionals I watched years ago, they said to hit a shot like that with draw and softer, just enough to knock a few balls loose. IDK if that is still the preferred way in today's game...

On the next rack, I know why I missed the 13. I was elevated and shooting with a lot of spin (since the CB was partially blocked). It swerved in the direction of the english a lot more than I anticipated.

PS, my high run is 37, so I'm no expert by any means, and everything I wrote might be exactly wrong. Oh, and I was also thinking I might beat my high run the way the balls opened up. I'm sure that distracted me.

Old
  (#20)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
On the break shot of the next rack, I went softer with draw because I was on the angle with the CB that is a fuller cut. From the old straight pool instructionals I watched years ago, they said to hit a shot like that with draw and softer, just enough to knock a few balls loose. IDK if that is still the preferred way in today's game...

On the next rack, I know why I missed the 13. I was elevated and shooting with a lot of spin (since the CB was partially blocked). It swerved in the direction of the english a lot more than I anticipated.

PS, my high run is 37, so I'm no expert by any means, and everything I wrote might be exactly wrong. Oh, and I was also thinking I might beat my high run the way the balls opened up. I'm sure that distracted me.
Moose head bridge would have helped on that final shot. If you turn it on edge you get an extra high bridge on one side.

In the original diagram I like the 13 better for a key ball because as long as you stay above the 13 the cue ball doesn't have to travel as far to the 2 for position and speed isn't as critical because you aren't going across your line. The only question is whether you know what English to put on the cue ball to get to the 2.

Check out this pattern from Oliver Ortmann. I posted this match earlier but then deleted it when someone complained. Sometimes pattern play just depends on what the player is most comfortable with. Most people would have gotten rid of the balls up table earlier.

https://youtu.be/-Pqic66WYCk?t=3892

1:04:52

Last edited by alstl; 10-13-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Old
  (#21)
The_JV
Local_Pro
The_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond reputeThe_JV has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I have no clue what "the right way" is...lol.

At this point I go for generating as many options as I can safely.

In your situation I would hit it with less draw and jack up slightly to hop/slide the CB into the pack. This would allows me to hit the shot with more force and limit the inertia of the CB. The natural carom off the pack brings the CB up table.

A simple game, played by difficult people...

Last edited by The_JV; 10-13-2020 at 05:01 PM.

hm
Old
  (#22)
Danny Harriman
One of the best in 14.1
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

hm - 10-14-2020, 02:27 PM

i don't know - it looks complicated to me.

One of the best Straight Pool players - on any soil - or gravity for the matter. Willie Mosconi's 526 stands.

Old
  (#23)
VarmintKong
Registered
VarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond reputeVarmintKong has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
i don't know - it looks complicated to me.
How disappointing. You have so much knowledge to share. Itís not like your going to accidentally give away some secret; just share your love of the game. Oh well, I guess thatís where youíre at.

Old
  (#24)
VarmintKong
Registered

10-14-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks for your input Island Drive. I’m listening and doing my best. I like the emphasis on simple shots. And much respect to an old school Browns fan. I grew up down the street from Lou “The Toe” Groza. Bernie Kosar will always be my quarterback, but I have respect for every era.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: