Gold Crown - how to load van when moving
Old
  (#1)
TrevorB
Registered
TrevorB is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Gold Crown - how to load van when moving - 09-28-2020, 09:12 PM

So, I have purchased a Gold Crown I, I've paid a mechanic to dismantle, I will then collect in a van to bring home. The table is 260 miles from home.

Any tips on loading the pieces? Should i wrap the slates in furniture blankets? Do I stack them or spread out the weight? Any words of wisdom?

How long is the longest piece on a 9FT GC?

Thanks in advance, Trevor

Old
  (#2)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post
So, I have purchased a Gold Crown I, I've paid a mechanic to dismantle, I will then collect in a van to bring home. The table is 260 miles from home.

Any tips on loading the pieces? Should i wrap the slates in furniture blankets? Do I stack them or spread out the weight? Any words of wisdom?

How long is the longest piece on a 9FT GC?

Thanks in advance, Trevor
I used to move Gold Crowns with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Not ideal, and certainly not meant for the weight, but it worked.

I would lay a moving blanket down first, and then lay the first slate on top of it. So long as you pull all staples from the bottom side of each slate liner, you shouldn't need to worry about covering each slate.. Just lay one on top of the next. However, if using a Grand caravan (or similar), you will want to have a small scrap of 2x4, to support the front edge of the slates.

Once the slates are loaded, I would cover them with another moving blanket, then load the long frame members. The should slide up between the front seats. GC 1's & 2's have longer frame members, so it will be a bit tighter fit, but still works. On top of the frame members, you can place the long side skirts, straight up between the front seats.

From there, you should be able to jigsaw everything else into place. I prefer to stack the skirts face-to-face, and stretchwrap everything together. I also wrap the rails together, 2x2, then all 6, and wrap them completely with a moving blanket. I also wrap the frame members together, and I generally bring a small storage tote for the castings and miscellaneous hardware. Usually, (2) 1 gallon freezer bags, and maybe a couple of sandwich bags should do it. Also of note, a complete set of balls fits perfectly in a 1 gallon freezer bag.

Good luck.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#3)
TrevorB
Registered

Thumbs up 09-29-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
I used to move Gold Crowns with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Not ideal, and certainly not meant for the weight, but it worked.

I would lay a moving blanket down first, and then lay the first slate on top of it. So long as you pull all staples from the bottom side of each slate liner, you shouldn't need to worry about covering each slate.. Just lay one on top of the next. However, if using a Grand caravan (or similar), you will want to have a small scrap of 2x4, to support the front edge of the slates.

Once the slates are loaded, I would cover them with another moving blanket, then load the long frame members. The should slide up between the front seats. GC 1's & 2's have longer frame members, so it will be a bit tighter fit, but still works. On top of the frame members, you can place the long side skirts, straight up between the front seats.

From there, you should be able to jigsaw everything else into place. I prefer to stack the skirts face-to-face, and stretchwrap everything together. I also wrap the rails together, 2x2, then all 6, and wrap them completely with a moving blanket. I also wrap the frame members together, and I generally bring a small storage tote for the castings and miscellaneous hardware. Usually, (2) 1 gallon freezer bags, and maybe a couple of sandwich bags should do it. Also of note, a complete set of balls fits perfectly in a 1 gallon freezer bag.

Good luck.
Geoff, thanks for excellent detailed info. Can you better describe/depict in what way I need to support the slates with a 2x4? How many pieces, about how long, where to place etc.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor

Old
  (#4)
bradsh98
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

09-29-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Geoff, thanks for excellent detailed info. Can you better describe/depict in what way I need to support the slates with a 2x4? How many pieces, about how long, where to place etc.

Thanks in advance.
Trevor
Again, this mostly applies to a Grand Caravan, as there is a slight step in the cargo area of the van. Going from the third row of seats to the second, there is a ledge, which drops approximately 1.5-2". You'll need a 2x4 that is maybe 2'-3' long, to support the front edge of the slate. Just lay the wood down underneath the bottom slate, and you should be fine. Once you load that first piece of slate, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Geoff Bradshaw

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#5)
TrevorB
Registered

09-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Again, this mostly applies to a Grand Caravan, as there is a slight step in the cargo area of the van. Going from the third row of seats to the second, there is a ledge, which drops approximately 1.5-2". You'll need a 2x4 that is maybe 2'-3' long, to support the front edge of the slate. Just lay the wood down underneath the bottom slate, and you should be fine. Once you load that first piece of slate, you'll see exactly what I mean.
Understood, thanks again. I'll be using a 2016 Honda Odyssey, the entire surface is level with the seats removed. Appreciate the good info!

Old
  (#6)
fastone371
Certifiable
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-30-2020, 08:14 AM

I moved my GCI in an older Grand Caravan, it would fit a 4' x 8' sheet of drywall in the back. I thought when moved mine that I put the timber frame down first then stacked the slate on top of that, wood side down first then second piece slate to slate and 3rd piece wood to wood. I put blankets between each layer. Then rail blinds went next and fit between the seats, then I just fit everything in like putting a puzzle together.

It all fit, with room to spare!
Old
  (#7)
TrevorB
Registered

Talking It all fit, with room to spare! - 10-11-2020, 06:49 PM

Well, its official, it fit with room to spare. It was a long tiring day, glad to have had my 20 year old son to assist, can't wait to get it set up with new cloth.

So, if anyone asks about moving a GC with a mini van, big thumbs up!! Twas a 540 mile round trip, no issues, except for my old, tired and out of shape body (round is a shape, right?).

Thanks to all who chimed in with advise, this community is the BEST!

Regards, Trevor
Attached Images

Old
  (#8)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo
trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Good Job, show us progress pics of it getting set back up!
You guys will be shooting in no time!

TFT

Quote:
Well, its official, it fit with room to spare. It was a long tiring day, glad to have had my 20 year old son to assist, can't wait to get it set up with new cloth.

So, if anyone asks about moving a GC with a mini van, big thumbs up!! Twas a 540 mile round trip, no issues, except for my old, tired and out of shape body (round is a shape, right?).

Thanks to all who chimed in with advise, this community is the BEST!

Regards, Trevor

Old
  (#9)
TrevorB
Registered

10-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post

TFT
Will do Trent, I'll get Jack scheduled ASAP... see this thread question about the rails, curious to hear your thoughts.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=519179

Also, all of the two bar/bolt assy's for attaching the blinds were missing, should i just spend the cash and get these? Couple worn brackets too.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/ant...-2-models.html

Thanks bud!

Old
  (#10)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo
trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2020, 09:05 PM

they switched to the floating nut plate during the GC1 production.

Why not, get it back to original! Ask Jack, he may have some of the parts? If not Ken Hash does for sure.

TFT

Quote:
Will do Trent, I'll get Jack scheduled ASAP... see this thread question about the rails, curious to hear your thoughts.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=519179

Also, all of the two bar/bolt assy's for attaching the blinds were missing, should i just spend the cash and get these? Couple worn brackets too.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/ant...-2-models.html

Thanks bud!

Old
  (#11)
TrevorB
Registered

10-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
they switched to the floating nut plate during the GC1 production.

Why not, get it back to original! Ask Jack, he may have some of the parts? If not Ken Hash does for sure.

TFT

Sweet, thanks Trent, appreciate the knowledge. I’ll be sure to send folks your way for Ohio region work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#12)
TrevorB
Registered

10-11-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Sweet, thanks Trent, appreciate the knowledge. I’ll be sure to send folks your way for Ohio region work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you happen to have a GC1 manual, Im missing some hardware. Stretcher only has 2 bolts instead of 4, plus ball box fasteners are missing. Trying to ID parts is tough.

Thanks.

Old
  (#13)
TrevorB
Registered

10-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:

TFT
Heres a few install pics

Old
  (#14)
TrevorB
Registered

10-25-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Heres a few install pics
I'll work to reduce file sizes tomorrow.

Old
  (#15)
gazman100
CTE - Qld Australia
gazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond reputegazman100 has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2020, 01:46 AM

This is a Gold Crown 4 which is ready to be shipped via road transport.
Cheers
Attached Images

Why does every shot I make using CTE go to centre pocket?