Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page Any Good Books Coming Out?
Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Any Good Books Coming Out?
Old
  (#1)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Any Good Books Coming Out? - 11-17-2019, 04:46 AM

Christmas is right around the corner. Anybody know of any good instructional books on billiards coming out in time? I already have Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and Brian Crist's Poolology. Those are the most recent books that have useful concepts in them that I am aware of.

Dan White

Old
  (#2)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member
JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Do you have Tor Lowry's workbook yet ? https://www.zerox-billiards.com/pool-instruction-books

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 11-17-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Old
  (#3)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Do you have Tor Lowry's workbook yet ?
Tor is great! Didn't know he had a workbook, but I'll look for it. Thanks!

Old
  (#4)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Do you have Tor Lowry's workbook yet ?
No, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Dan White

Old
  (#5)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Christmas is right around the corner. Anybody know of any good instructional books on billiards coming out in time? I already have Mark Wilson's Play Great Pool and Brian Crist's Poolology. Those are the most recent books that have useful concepts in them that I am aware of.
A couple of guys here have been really pumping a new book on aiming that's supposed to change the world. I wonder if they have heard anything?

Old
  (#6)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member

11-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
A couple of guys here have been really pumping a new book on aiming that's supposed to change the world. I wonder if they have heard anything?
There was this one book that was at the publisher like 2 years ago. I think the Manhattan Project figured out how to split the atom in less time. Maybe editing a book like that is like figuring out how to cut the Hope diamond. You have to study it for months before making a single cut.

Just joking around. I'm sure that book will be quite an accomplishment if/when it does come out.

Dan White

Old
  (#7)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Do you have Tor Lowry's latest book.

Mental System for Pool Players. Excellent read.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Old
  (#8)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Everyone want a new book on aiming? Here you go:

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Develop a PSR that makes the OB go into the pocket and the CB behave the way you expect it to.

Chapter 2

See the ball, make the ball, get position.

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

Old
  (#9)
BC21
Poolology
BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Develop a PSR that makes the OB go into the pocket and the CB behave the way you expect it to.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much
This is excellent! With some editing and a few diagrams showing how to determine exactly where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ob (without guessing), you would have a great piece of work here. I really like the way you use the word "art" in relation to aiming, because that's really what it becomes once a player develops a great feel for pocketing balls -- art.

Have your people contact my people and we'll turn your 1 page book, "The Art of Aiming", into something closer to 112 pages. I think you have something special here that could potentially become a great contribution to the pool and billiards community. I look forward to working with you on this project.

PS....If you choose to stand firm on your 1 page book design, I will understand. Perhaps you'll at least allow me the honor of endorsing your work, as I believe "see the ball, make the ball, get position" is an award-winning approach to the game.

Thank you.

Old
  (#10)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much
Where do I get my autographed copy?

Sanctuary much,

Boxcar

Old
  (#11)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member

11-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much
Nice, but can I suggest one edit? You know editing takes a good 3 years so we should be hitting the book stores by 2023 on this baby. Here's the first edit, if I may:

Foreward: All youze suckers have been doing it wrong for 100 years so just read this and you'll be taking home all the cash in a week or two.

Dan White

Old
  (#12)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
This must be the ”perception” part...

The rest of the book is pretty straightforward.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#13)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
This is excellent! With some editing and a few diagrams showing how to determine exactly where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ob (without guessing), you would have a great piece of work here. I really like the way you use the word "art" in relation to aiming, because that's really what it becomes once a player develops a great feel for pocketing balls -- art.

Have your people contact my people and we'll turn your 1 page book, "The Art of Aiming", into something closer to 112 pages. I think you have something special here that could potentially become a great contribution to the pool and billiards community. I look forward to working with you on this project.

PS....If you choose to stand firm on your 1 page book design, I will understand. Perhaps you'll at least allow me the honor of endorsing your work, as I believe "see the ball, make the ball, get position" is an award-winning approach to the game.

Thank you.

It is art.

Its underpinnings are rooted in science but once a player approaches a table they are like a dancer walking onto a dance floor. Some will look stiff and contrived yet complete enough steps to call it a tango or waltz Others will eventually begin to look like Fred Astaire.

And if you develop a solid PSR you will be seeing the ball/shot from the same perspective over and over. Then, it is not so much a matter of guessing but rather hypothesizing what will happen. You make your best "guess" AND THEN you remember the result and file it away as a success, failure, or needs work. A great pool player must have a great memory.

I look forward to your endorsement of my final work... which may extend to four or five chapters of similar length in its final form.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 11-18-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Old
  (#14)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

11-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Where do I get my autographed copy?

Sanctuary much,

Boxcar

I will be signing copies in a small venue, somewhere in southern California, surround by friends, family, and sychopants.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#15)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member
JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It is art.

It's underpinnings are rooted in science but once a player approaches a table they are like a dancer walking onto a dance floor. Some will look stiff and contrived and complete enough steps to call it a tango or waltz and others will begin to look like Fred Astaire.

And if you develop a solid PSR you will be seeing the ball/shot from the same perspective over and over. Then, it is not so much a matter of guessing but rather hypothesizing what will happen. You make your best "guess" AND THEN you remember the result and with file it away s a success, failure, or needs work. A great pool player must have a great memory.

I look forward to your endorsement of my final work... which may extend to four or five chapters of similar length in its final form.

Lou Figueroa
And no matter what aiming system you have while standing up, it goes down the toilet if you cannot pull the cue on the stroking line consistently. And that's before you even deliver the final stroke.

Page 1 of 10 1 23 Last »