Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right?
Old
  (#1)
al-capool
Imagine all the people...
al-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Smile What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right? - 04-11-2014, 03:42 AM

To all of you who are already giving or gave some pool lessons to beginners:

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

- A half ball away right behind the objectball in direction pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!
Not very easy for every beginner to get it like that!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

OR WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA?

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!

Last edited by al-capool; 04-11-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Gtortuga
AzB Bronze Member
Gtortuga is on a distinguished road

04-11-2014, 08:02 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. I think it would be a very beneficial training aid. One thing that I would do is (if its possible) put a neon green ball in the very center (the core) of the cueball, about the size of a cue tip. This way when the ghostball is behind the object ball one can see where contact point of the cue tip should be in relation to the object ball

Old
  (#3)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

04-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Those are good ideas....

If it was only to be used as a visual prop, I think this could be done out of acrylic or polyurethane, or clear ABS. Polyurethane would probably be the best choice.

If it was intended to be played with, it could be difficult finding a clear material that also has the same density as regulation ball material does.

Old
  (#4)
Chrippa
AzB Silver Member
Chrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond reputeChrippa has a reputation beyond repute

04-11-2014, 08:41 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Go for it, I think it would help a lot!

Chrippa

Old
  (#5)
al-capool
al-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond repute

Smile 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Those are good ideas....

If it was only to be used as a visual prop, I think this could be done out of acrylic or polyurethane, or clear ABS. Polyurethane would probably be the best choice.

If it was intended to be played with, it could be difficult finding a clear material that also has the same density as regulation ball material does.
NO, I would use it only as a visual help! For showing and explaining. Not to play with it! That's why a plasticball with the same diameter as the cueball, would be already enough...

Player: Schön Unique "T.R."
Shaft 1: 314-2 with black Kamui 'S'
Shaft 2: Schon IV with black Kamui 'S'
Case: Dybior 2/4 Croco embossed black leather & black velvet
Break Cue: Predator BK1
Jump Cue: A no name

Old
  (#6)
DeadStick
student of the game
DeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond reputeDeadStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

04-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Good idea, but the inevitable distortion coming from the "lens effect" of a spherical clear ball might make it unsuitable for the stated purposes.

Try looking through a glass marble or glass rod to get an idea of the problem.

Brunswick Centennial 9-foot table with Mark Gregory rails, 4.5" pockets, and Simonis 860HR.
Jim Baxter 60" amboyna burl plain jane with Z2 shafts, OB break cue, Steve Lomax ebony with silver-rings jump cue.

Old
  (#7)
al-capool

04-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadStick View Post
Good idea, but the inevitable distortion coming from the "lens effect" of a spherical clear ball might make it unsuitable for the stated purposes.

Try looking through a glass marble or glass rod to get an idea of the problem.
When you're locking trough a transparent ball made of thin acryl, with nothing else than air in the ball, you shouldn''t have that lense effect at all! But even if it would have a little, It wouldn't matter. Because I just need it to show where the cueball has exactly to go, to hit the objectball at the right place, to make it!

Last edited by al-capool; 04-12-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Old
  (#8)
nobcitypool
AzB Silver Member
nobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond reputenobcitypool has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Very good idea, however, I don't think reality would work. Have you ever looked through 2 1/4" thick glass? Now add that it would be a sphere, would get smudged and dirty, has light glare, etc. and I think it wouldn't be feasible. Which is too bad because I think your idea has a great deal of merit.

Playing Cue: Jensen with Revo 12.4 Shaft
Break Cue: OB Rift

Old
  (#9)
randyg
www.randygpool.com
randyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond repute

04-12-2014, 05:03 PM

I have one in Pool School and it works well for certain things.

randyg

Original P.B.I.A Master Instructor
Proud Member of the SPF Family
Co-author of World/BCA Rules
Co-author of Texas Express Rules
Originator of Scotch Doubles

So I wasn't really the first who had that idea to make a touchable Ghostball?! LOL
Old
  (#10)
al-capool

Smile So I wasn't really the first who had that idea to make a touchable Ghostball?! LOL - 04-13-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
I have one in Pool School and it works well for certain things.

randyg
Helo Randy,
So as a Master Instructor what do you think of my Idea? It could be sometimes a visible and touchable help for showing for example how to aim right? I presume that your "Ghostball" has a thin matt surface made of acryl or another synthetic material and it 's completely empty, filled with nothing else than air! Am I right?
It would be very kind of you, to post a picture of that ball together with an objectball and a cueball lying on a table. So that we can see that there isn't that mentioned lens effect or another shinny and disturbing factor!
Thank you very much for your answer.
Kind regards Roberto

Last edited by al-capool; 04-13-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Old
  (#11)
randyg
www.randygpool.com
randyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond repute

04-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-capool View Post
Helo Randy,
So as a Master Instructor what do you think of my Idea? It could be sometimes a visible and touchable help for showing for example how to aim right? I presume that your "Ghostball" has a thin matt surface made of acryl or another synthetic material and it 's completely empty, filled with nothing else than air! Am I right?
It would be very kind of you, to post a picture of that ball together with an objectball and a cueball lying on a table. So that we can see that there isn't that mentioned lens effect or another shinny and disturbing factor!
Thank you very much for your answer.
Kind regards Roberto
Hello my friend.

Our see-through cue ball is the same weight as most cue balls. It has a Red Dot in the core for aiming.

I will see what I can do to get one sent to you.

Your friend in Texas
randyg

Original P.B.I.A Master Instructor
Proud Member of the SPF Family
Co-author of World/BCA Rules
Co-author of Texas Express Rules
Originator of Scotch Doubles

Old
  (#12)
al-capool

Thumbs up 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyg View Post
Hello my friend.

Our see-through cue ball is the same weight as most cue balls. It has a Red Dot in the core for aiming.

I will see what I can do to get one sent to you.

Your friend in Texas
randyg
Hello again Randy,
That would be of course an imense favour, if you could send me such a transparent ghostball!
Kind regards your Swiss friend Roberto

B.a.t.
Old
  (#13)
Big C
Deep in the heart of TX.
Big C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond repute

B.a.t. - 04-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-capool View Post
To all of you who are already giving or gave some pool lessons to beginners:

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

- A half ball away right behind the objectball in direction pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!
Not very easy for every beginner to get it like that!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

OR WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA?

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!
Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.dsbat.com/#axzz2yp4YnoTU

It's all about perception.

Old
  (#14)
al-capool

04-14-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.dsbat.com/#axzz2yp4YnoTU
Thank you Big C,
This looks like an entire very sofisticated and very good aiming help.
But it is not what I'm talking about! I go this after noon at a shop and make a picture of what I'm desperatelly trying to describe.
thx anyway

Something like this:
Attached Images

Last edited by al-capool; 04-14-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Updated

Old
  (#15)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

04-14-2014, 06:40 PM

I found these guys upon a google search:

http://www.abcbilliardplus.com/Pages...liardBalls.htm

It looks like they can make you any set you like, and I would think they already have a clear ball on hand. Their email and phone number is listed. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2