Rules question
Old
  (#1)
shootsnook
Registered
shootsnook is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Rules question - 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Yellow is the ball on, My opponent fouls and i am snookered full ball with brown which is touching (Or very close to) yellow. Can i designate brown as the 'free ball' and snooker my opponent?
Thanks .

Old
  (#2)
tksix
AzB Silver Member
tksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond reputetksix has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Free ball

Free ball occurs after a foul shot where the resultant layout of the table leaves the opponent snookered (unable to hit any legitimate ball on either side). The opponent of the player who committed the foul can choose any other ball on the table as a replacement for the ball in question, and pot this as if it were the intended ball. For example, if the ball "on" is a red, and the free ball is a pink, the player will receive one point for potting the pink (which is then respotted). He then continues to attempt to pot a colour which, if successful, is followed by another red etc. If a colour was ball on, and both the nominated ball and the actual ball on are potted, only the ball on is scored. The free ball is spotted while, as this can only occur in the final stage of the frame, the ball on will stay off the table. This is the only time while attempting to pot a colour that two balls can be pocketed without a foul occurring. If the ball on is red and both the nominated and ball on are potted, then each ball potted is scored as a red, as would be typical if it were not a free ball. The colour free ball is then spotted and the ball on remains off the table.

It is allowed to play a snooker using the free ball, providing the snooker does not leave all balls 'on' snookered behind the ball which has just been used as the ball 'on'. It is allowed to cannon a ball nominated as a red into another red, so as to pot this (a plant).

The only exception to this rule is if the "on" ball is a red that is being obstructed by another red. For example, if the player breaking-off hits the white too soft and it does not hit the triangle of reds, a free-ball would not be called, even though no red can be hit on both sides, since the only thing preventing some of the reds being hit on both sides is another red.

A free ball scenario does not occur when the ball gets stuck at the edge of a pocket jaw (commonly referred to as "angled') in such a manner that the player is unable to hit any legitimate ball. This is because according to the official snooker rules a ball is snookered only if its way is obstructed by balls not on. In this scenario, after a foul, the player may choose to either take the shot from the current position or ask the offender to play again.

After free ball colored will be played if red balls are still on the table. If not, the player will continue with the lowest value ball on table.

"dere hada be ahundred ways to get out in dat rack.........................an dat ain't one of em!!" The Mr. John Abruzzo

Old
  (#3)
shootsnook
Registered
shootsnook is on a distinguished road

11-18-2011, 07:00 PM

It is allowed to play a snooker using the free ball, providing the snooker does not leave all balls 'on' snookered behind the ball which has just been used as the ball 'on'. It is allowed to cannon a ball nominated as a red into another red, so as to pot this (a plant).

Haha, That means i messed up yesterday... i snookered the poor guy behind brown and then ran out the colors to win. Thanks for the help though. Will be mindful in future.
AJ