new cue advice
Old
  (#1)
96burg10
AzB Bronze Member
96burg10 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

new cue advice - 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM

little background: i have been playing for about 10 years and for the first seven or so never really took it seriously. i played in some tournaments never really doing any better than 2-2. broke up with the now ex and started to really get back into the game and practicing my stroke, stance, aiming, just anything i could to do better. i started placing in some tournaments and did really well at the state tournament. i took last year off to help some friends out who were in need of a 5th for bowling and played enough pool to qualify for the state tourny and didnt do to bad.

now that the back story is done on to my question...i am looking at getting back into the game pretty hard and my girlfriend said she wanted to buy me a new cue for a present. i am thinking about getting an OB cue or something with a laminated shaft and maybe a layered tip. my question being, are those things worth spending the money and will they really improve my game? i know that is a hard question to answer since you would have to know how i play, but would the performance of the shaft along with the tip be a step in the right direction to improvement and would anyone have any advice on a shaft or a tip?

Old
  (#2)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Just depends on how much you want to spend. I like using a Meucci for 9-ball and 10-ball, but I like using a Joss to play straight pool.

I like a Tiger Ultra shaft, but also like my no-dot old Meucci shafts too.

Guess I didn't help much....

Go around and try out some different shafts and different cues.

Most people will let you try out their equipment.

Or, go to a dealer's house where they have lots of different cues and shafts.

Most likely they will let you try different shafts and cues. Might not be able

to chalk everything, so just stay in the center of the cue ball.

Last edited by poolguy4u; 04-25-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Old
  (#3)
96burg10
AzB Bronze Member

04-25-2012, 12:11 PM

is there a noticable difference in the way that a shaft like OB and predator should play as opposed to the shaft that came with my pechauer?

Old
  (#4)
96burg10
AzB Bronze Member

04-25-2012, 12:33 PM

maybe the better question is what is the benefits of a shaft like predatory or OB and tips like kamui or tiger?

Old
  (#5)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96burg10 View Post
is there a noticable difference in the way that a shaft like OB and predator should play as opposed to the shaft that came with my pechauer?
I have a friend with a Pechauer...and his cue plays so well, it is like using a magic wand. It plays great with the original shaft. If you can find people using the other shafts, ask them if you can hit a few balls.

Old
  (#6)
JasBy
AzB Silver Member
JasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond reputeJasBy has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2012, 12:52 PM

In my experience, nothing can replace the experience of playing with a cue/shaft/joint/etc... I started out with a Pechauer, and a couple years later added a Predator 314 shaft just to try one out. Did it play better than my original shaft? yes Did the increase in playability offset the cost? probably not (but I did get it as a gift) I played with the Predator for a few years, and purchased a Jacoby with a wood/wood joint. After the Predator, the 'feel' of the hit was amazing, and yet lacked a certain crispness that I was used to. In the last year I have purchased, tried, and sold a number of cues trying to find that combination of hit and feel that would be perfect.
Ok sorry, moral of the story: don't start out by saying 'this is the cue I want and that's it' Ask some teammates or other players at league if you can shoot a rack with their cue. Find a local shop that has test models or will let you hit with some. Some pool halls even have rentals that might give you an indication of what you might like. Try looking on ebay and finding used cues from good makers that might be 'entry level' (plain janes and merry widows) These will give you an indication of how that particular maker's cues will play, and if you are getting them for a good price you should be able to turn them around at little or no loss. Who knows, you might find a really good plain player that you stick with.
And just for the record, I think you would be more than happy with an OB cue, they make excellent products and I own one of their shafts. There is just something special about trying a number of cues and finding the one for you and *knowing* it's the one.

Old
  (#7)
96burg10
AzB Bronze Member

04-25-2012, 01:19 PM

i think i may do that, there arent a bunch of places in the city i live to try out cues but within an hour radius i should be able to find something. thanks for the advice.

Old
  (#8)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

04-26-2012, 01:09 PM

The hit of any cue is extremely subjective to the individual. Same goes for any kind of joint, and any kind of tip. You cannot ask these questions, because there is no one answer. You have to try out different stuff and see how it "feels" to YOU! Best idea is to borrow some of your friends cues, and see if you find something you like. Oh, and btw, LD shafts are not influenced by how well you play (or don't play). Again, it's subjective to the person. I will tell you that I never liked LD shafts until 2 yrs ago (played for 40 yrs). Now I play with a Tiger Xpro, and a G-Core and love them both. Do they make me "play better"? Nope...I just like the "feel" of the hit.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor