Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page wrist snap on draw stroke- ?
Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
So your expert point is not miscuing increases contact time.

FYI, so does playing pool vs. watching TV.
pj
chgo
No, my expert points (plural) included "too much chalk hampers draw shots".

Let me help you learn from my expertise. I know you like experiments and tests:

Hit 10 strong draw shots, two tips below center, over a six-diamond distance between c.b. and o.b., chalking before each shot with a light but even coating of chalk.

Now hit 10 more of the same, chalking the heck out of the cube, grinding into it.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#47)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
By what percentage?
On a perfect center ball contact? Or on a draw shot as described, say, two tips below center?

Perhaps you can make a chart? I'm not a PhD physicist as you are.

-- Matt Sherman

Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#48)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-03-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
On a perfect center ball contact? Or on a draw shot as described, say, two tips below center?

Perhaps you can make a chart? I'm not a PhD physicist as you are.
You seem to be saying, if I read your response correctly, that you don't really know the answer.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#49)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-03-2020, 09:31 AM

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 09-03-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Old
  (#50)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-04-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
You seem to be saying, if I read your response correctly, that you don't really know the answer.
I was asking you to supply your knowledge. Please do not delay on my account.

I do not own a super-camera that shoots frames at thousands-of-a-second. If I did, I wouldn't need to use it to understand why pool chalk was invented, to increase contact time with the cue ball. Are you saying I'm wrong regarding this pool fact?

The difference between Mingaud and most on AZ is he demonstrated pool and answered questions when asked.

"Chalk it up" to experience, I say.

-- Matt Sherman

Last edited by BilliardsAbout; 09-04-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Old
  (#51)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
...pool chalk was invented, to increase contact time with the cue ball.
Chalk was invented to prevent the tip from slipping on the CB surface. Increased contact time is an incidental side effect.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#52)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-04-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Chalk was invented to prevent the tip from slipping on the CB surface. Increased contact time is an incidental side effect.

pj
chgo
Yes, correct. One implies the other, of course.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#53)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

09-04-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
...pool chalk was invented, to increase contact time with the cue ball.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, correct. One implies the other, of course.
But saying increased contact time is the reason chalk was invented (like you did) is like saying the reason we turn on a light is to make the bulb hot - and shows we don't know what we're talking about.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#54)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-04-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
But saying increased contact time is the reason chalk was invented (like you did) is like saying the reason we turn on a light is to make the bulb hot - and shows we don't know what we're talking about.

pj
chgo
Your humility is vastly underwhelming.

I agree, you don't know what you're talking about.

Chalk was invented neither to help the leather adhere better nor to increase contact time. It was invented to play pool better--so there.

See how it reads when you're childish, churlish, to me and others! Is this how you talk to your boss, your peers, your pool teammates?

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#55)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

09-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Is this how you talk to your boss, your peers, your pool teammates?
If they stubbornly misinform others with their "expertise", yes.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#56)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
If they stubbornly misinform others with their "expertise", yes.

pj
chgo
I do no such thing. My students quickly and vastly improve.

I assumed you'd make a nasty comment when I wrote about increased contact time. Rather than explain to you how that helps with tip slippage, or educate you on how chalk came to be used in our sport, I'll simply ask you to stop trolling me.

And no, you wouldn't speak meanly to your boss or you'd be fired . . .

PS. I speak nicely to you because I'm a born again Christian. What is your excuse for being rude, exactly?

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#57)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

09-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I'll simply ask you to stop trolling me.
If you tout your "expertise" while misinforming here, I'll likely correct it (again). Call that what you want.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 09-06-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Old
  (#58)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
If you tout your "expertise" while misinforming here, I'll likely correct it (again). Call that what you want.

pj
chgo
thankful for this

sean <<-- is here for the "nastiness"

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#59)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-08-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:

pj
chgo
I write true facts here--I've noticed that less than 20% of the time, you cite (assumed) facts in evidence regarding my posts. You mostly just hurl insults..

As your fellow (former) jerk in recovery, let me encourage you, I and others will listen to your wisdom more when you are kind (or at least neutral).

I've given you every chance to stop behaving as you did when you were banned. Your choice.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#60)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

09-08-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
thankful for this

sean <<-- is here for the "nastiness"
You're thankful that he's nasty?

Or thankful that he is one of the self-appointed Pool Guardians of the Universe, despite the fact that he and the other Guardians are usually nasty, and often, if not always, wrong?

Or are you thankful that he and his co-Guardians keep pushing people off AZ entirely, so that I'm often getting PMs, "Thanks for being kind, if controversial. Those people are horrible people!"

I give thanks, not for PJ's smarmy, rude, wicked, thoughtless insults, but that the Lord Jesus Christ died and rose to forgive his sin (and yours, Sean). Praise HIM! Be thankful for HIM!

Let's be thankful where it counts. Stop trolling, already.

-- Matt Sherman

Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56