Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page RKC new business idea
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Maybe we can collect donations for you instead. Soap and water is no good for a pool player's hands.
Thanks a lot.

That suitcase full of wet, soapy quarters puts my luggage over the weight limit at the airlines.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

In the beginning he was a man...then he became the game.

Old
  (#32)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Glen's been posting this format for 10 or so years now. I doubt anyone here believes he's going to actually ever get it off the ground. But the FB group is the younger new members. Do they believe him?
I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:
And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...
I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#33)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
This is kind of like Hopkin's Million Dollar Tournament. Where he figured 200 players would put up 5,000 each. Well, 12 total players put up the money, with one being Hopkins himself. Corey beat Shane in the finals, and won a bracelet with 1MM inscribed on it.
Glen's plan is very different. It's only $100 to get in. The added money is about ten times the entry fees. The money odds are good. Hopkins' event was player-financed, I believe, with no added money.

I think lots of players will figure they can beat #2000 in the world in the first round of a single-elimination event at which point they get their entry fee back plus enough for two nights in the motel. (No seeding in the draws.) $500 back for win-win-loss.

But the major sticking point I see is getting the $4,000,000 or so sponsorship money for each event. So far as I can tell, that has not happened.

There are lots of minor details, such as the months of preparation by paid staff and buying and installing the tables.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#34)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:
And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...
I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.
I don't think it will work long-term, there simply isn't enough people willing to pay $100 to travel to a single elimination tournament. They might try it for the novelty but if someone goes one and out what are the chances they would return. There needs to be more incentive IMHO. Second chance tourney's, exhibitions by pros, merchant booths (which he said would not happen).

I live close so I'd go in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I would travel very far for a single elimination tournament.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#35)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Glen's plan is very different. It's only $100 to get in. The added money is about ten times the entry fees. The money odds are good. Hopkins' event was player-financed, I believe, with no added money.

I think lots of players will figure they can beat #2000 in the world in the first round of a single-elimination event at which point they get their entry fee back plus enough for two nights in the motel. (No seeding in the draws.) $500 back for win-win-loss.

But the major sticking point I see is getting the $4,000,000 or so sponsorship money for each event. So far as I can tell, that has not happened.

There are lots of minor details, such as the months of preparation by paid staff and buying and installing the tables.

Agreed, and someone has to run all that video equipment.

Whoever the backers are they have put a lot of stock in this, I hope they get the views they need to succeed.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#36)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

10-02-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
... there simply isn't enough people willing to pay $100 to travel to a single elimination tournament. ... Second chance tourney's, exhibitions by pros, merchant booths (which he said would not happen).... .
Is there no other space in Nampa that is available to rent where some enterprising person could give the pool players what they actually want as opposed to what Glen wants?

4000 pool players with nothing to do for a week. Think about it.

Old
  (#37)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

10-02-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
... Whoever the backers are they have put a lot of stock in this, I hope they get the views they need to succeed.
One of us is confused. What has actually happened so far? From what I've read, there is no contract, there is no agreement, there is no lease on the space, there is no 501c3, there is no....

"backers are" implies that there are backers. Why do you believe that?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#38)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:22 PM

I wish y'all would get this figured out before I put all these quarters into the pin ball machine.

The Hustler

Such a man spends all his life playing every day for small stakes. Give him every morning the money that he may gain during the day, on condition that he does not play-you will make him unhappy. It will perhaps be said what he seeks is the amusement of play, not gain. Let him play then for nothing, he will lose interest and be wearied. ***Blaise Pascal***

In the beginning he was a man...then he became the game.

Old
  (#39)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:26 PM

This thread belongs in The AZB Joke Forum.

Old
  (#40)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:27 PM

Chili and Robin believe because they trust RKC. Therefore it is.

Old
  (#41)
336Robin
Multiverse Operative
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
I've got a dollar on Hawaiian's entry. I get 20% right?

Progress is inevitable.

Live long and Prosper!

aimisthegameinpool.com

Old
  (#42)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member
JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-02-2020, 02:38 PM

If it's for a non-profit organization, it should be called a charity.
Not a business.

Old
  (#43)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

10-02-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
One of us is confused. What has actually happened so far? From what I've read, there is no contract, there is no agreement, there is no lease on the space, there is no 501c3, there is no....

"backers are" implies that there are backers. Why do you believe that?
I was referring to the money he said is/will be in escrow. I couldn't find the original post but below is a screenshot where he mentions it again.

Whether it's in escrow now or will be, I have no idea. I didn't say anything about a lease but he did say the landlord needs 5 months to setup the building and I believe the 501c3 is setup. I know the core company is setup but I do not know if it has gone through the 501.c process yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
Actually, he mentioned something like this about a year ago via email to me but the reality of those details was so far fetched I didn't think it was feasible and told him so at the time. This format is a bit different and although I'm still very skeptical it appears he has put things in motion for it to happen so I guess it's a hope for the best and plan for normal?
Attached Images

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#44)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:27 PM

Will these tournaments be played with or without rails?

C’mon man!

PUNiSH CHINA.

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

GLUE SAVES POOL

"When I shoot, my main concerns are if I made a good hit (including ball to rail) and the success of the shot (make or defense).
If you have played for a while, it is rare that you don't notice when it does not happen." from poolpro2

Old
  (#45)
SpiderWeb
iisgone@yahoo.com
SpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDweller View Post
RKC running tourneys with Robin as his PR guy. The pool world almost needs this to happen...just because it's pool. Almost
You are on those smart pills again. U know who the TD is unless the snake takes a sharp turn and sends the TD in for emergency nose job. Is CJ in on this pie in the sky deal too?

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »