Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Lasers and Training for a Perfect Stroke - Duplicate
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Totally agree with you Dan, for the most part. For me, the tension (or lack thereof) is the same for all shots...even the break! It's all about speed and timing. For you, what I meant is that the stop shot is the absolute first shot you have completely master...at one, two, and three diamond distances between the CB and OB. Use the laser to lay down the paper circles in a perfect straight line. Then practice with video. Focus the video on your shooting arm. Draw and follow come immediately after stop shots. Then tangent lines, and how draw and follow affect them. JMO

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
Thanks for the comments. It really has been an instructive tool.

I find that each shot, follow, stop and draw, are different, meaning that just because I can execute a follow shot along the exact center line it does not follow necessarily that I can execute a draw the same way. I think it is because the cue lays in the hand at a different angle for each shot and/or I might be hitting the draw shots harder, causing a different result.

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 10-18-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Old
  (#32)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-18-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Totally agree with you Dan, for the most part. For me, the tension (or lack thereof) is the same for all shots...even the break! It's all about speed and timing. For you, what I meant is that the stop shot is the absolute first shot you have completely master...at one, two, and three diamond distances between the CB and OB. Use the laser to lay down the paper circles in a perfect straight line. Then practice with video. Focus the video on your shooting arm. Draw and follow come immediately after stop shots. Then tangent lines, and how draw and follow affect them. JMO

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
Yes, I agree. In my case, I've been doing these drills for decades and the "follow until the two balls collide" idea required the high level of accuracy I was looking for. I certainly wouldn't recommend such a drill for a beginner.

I try to keep the lack of tension the same for most all shots. It's just that the cue lays in the hand a little differently for draw or follow so you have to be aware of that and make sure that doesn't cause an unexpected gripping of the cue.

I can't speak for anyone else, of course, because I'm not an instructor, but it sounds like this is a pretty universal idea.

Dan White

Page 3 of 3 123