Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue and shaft reviews
Reload this Page My experience with 7 carbon shafts so far
Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-09-2019, 08:18 AM

I recently tried a BeCue and i hated the finish. Way too sticky/tacky feeling. You have to use a glove with these. Finish on a Revo is unbelievably slick.

Old
  (#32)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
I recently tried a BeCue and i hated the finish. Way too sticky/tacky feeling. You have to use a glove with these. Finish on a Revo is unbelievably slick.
Which Becue? The old white paint version without a doubt agree 💯 with you, however the new prime M versions are just as slick as any other CF shafts out there.

Old
  (#33)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnice37 View Post
I have a becue 12.0mm prime m and it plays good. Shaft has a more plasticy feel to it compared to other CF shatfs and definitely has more deflection than the Revo.

I think eventually I'm going to have to get the same exact tip put on all my CF shafts to make true comparisons.
Been there, done that. It will not change the outcome as far as deflection.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#34)
mister__p
AzB Silver Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
I'm with you.

People that like the 15k shaft would be better served to buy a LD wood shaft.

Less money, more or less same sound and feel.......only thing they would give up is:

It's not CF.
Same can be said for all CF's IMHO until someone comes out with a true game changer which beats the Z2 (or Z3) for deflection which I consider the benchmark(s).

Alot of people criticise the Z's for having a dead hit so whoever can make a shaft that has a good hit, sounds good, has very low deflection and plays well will come out on top.

In my circles, a bunch of us are buying to experiment because we like the latest toys but no-one really thinks anything in the market right now is changing the game. It's certainly not like the switch from wooden to graphite tennis racquets which we saw in the 80's. Now that was a game changer.

What we are seeing now is incremental at best but very welcome all the same.

Old
  (#35)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Which Becue? The old white paint version without a doubt agree 💯 with you, however the new prime M versions are just as slick as any other CF shafts out there.
M. Its still not as slick as a Revo.

Old
  (#36)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member
Sean Hallett is on a distinguished road

05-10-2019, 12:16 PM

I just got my Jacoby Black 30" today I haven't had the chance to really test the deflection but the feel and sound is amazing! Just on that alone it's better then my OB+2 and the Jacoby Ultra Pro.
However, the packaging isn't very professional and no instructions for cleaning etc. I'm not bothered though. I didn't come with joint protectors either. Is that standard for every CF shaft to come with them or not?

Old
  (#37)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hallett View Post
I just got my Jacoby Black 30" today I haven't had the chance to really test the deflection but the feel and sound is amazing! Just on that alone it's better then my OB+2 and the Jacoby Ultra Pro.
However, the packaging isn't very professional and no instructions for cleaning etc. I'm not bothered though. I didn't come with joint protectors either. Is that standard for every CF shaft to come with them or not?
Mine came with a joint protector and no instructions. Came in that skinny clear tube. Only reason I can think of that you didn't get join protector is that the tube is only one size and with 30" shaft it doesn't fit with jp?

Old
  (#38)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Mine came with a joint protector and no instructions. Came in that skinny clear tube. Only reason I can think of that you didn't get join protector is that the tube is only one size and with 30" shaft it doesn't fit with jp?
It's such a good cue so I find it weird that they don't market it much and the packaging is rubbish compared to others. It might be because it wouldn't fit but it's not the end of the world. I had one for my Ultra Pro which is also a radial.
I think they should design more cues that match the new black shaft. With the packaging, marketing and recent butt designs it's like they never expected to sell alot of them?

Carbon Fiber Shaft Reviews
Old
  (#39)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member
Bca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond repute

Carbon Fiber Shaft Reviews - 05-10-2019, 01:52 PM

I have seen several posts here and other sites about the different shafts.
Low deflection, taper, hit, sound, feel, etc. Obviously, most of the topics are subjective; what feels best to some, can be hated by others.
I am fine with subjectivity; however, not so much with false statements that can appear to be more of a sales attempt verses actual facts.
Granted, human nature is to prefer (or even brag about) something once we spend our hard earned money on it; however, hitting a few shots with a shaft is not a deflection test.
Telling someone a wood tenon inside a CF shaft with an added ferrule has less deflection then a Revo or Jacoby Black, is a false statement.
Anyone considering the purchase of one of the expensive CF shafts really should test them first.
That said, we all know this isn’t always an option, so many potential buyers read statements and reviews.
False statements by retailers/dealers/sellers are things we are all too familiar with...
The propagation of the false statements once we become owners, really does nothing for anyone else.
Ok… That’s my rant
Attached Images

Using the best available equipment may not improve my game; however, it does eliminate an excuse.

Old
  (#40)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member
Bca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond reputeBca8ball has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvecoop View Post
Is it true the core of the black is wood?
The core of the Jacoby Black is a very high dense foam.
The deflection increase over the Revo is caused by the CF build-up at the leading edge. The build-up is support threads cut into the shaft wall that join the threads on the OD of the ferrule.
Attached Images

Using the best available equipment may not improve my game; however, it does eliminate an excuse.

Last edited by Bca8ball; 05-10-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Reduced photo size

Old
  (#41)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 02:33 PM

Bca8ball:
That was a really informative post and a great read. It seems pretty reliable and matches up with everything I have heard. The Meucci deflection was a surprise though, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad :O I haven't played with any other CF but I can 100% vouch for the feel on my Jacoby, it's better than any wood ld shaft i've ever played with. That being said i've never played with a Meucci.
As for deflection I knew the Revo was always going to be number 1 and i've seen videos comparing it to the Cuetec. Is it safe to assume the deflection of the Jacoby is between Revo and the Cuetec? Or the same as the Cuetec? Your post makes it sound like it is slightly better than the Cuetec but obviously worse than the Revo. I haven't properly tested my Jacoby out yet and I can't compare it to any of the others so i'm not going to make false statements. It would be nice to know though. Either way i'm very pleased with my Jacoby that i've had for half a day :P

Old
  (#42)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoolnut View Post
I just wanted to add to your comments regarding the CF shafts you had the opportunity to play with and ask you if you've had a chance to try the new Meucci CF Pro shaft yet?

I've only had minimal exposure to any of the top CF shafts out there. Hit a few balls with someone else's cue or at a trade show and never could say I liked the feel of any of the most popular shafts. I'm actually on a waiting list for a Revo and also was looking into the Jacobi when I got word about the Meucci CF Pro shaft.

I own a large collection of Meucci's so I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to try their CF technology on some of my favorite cues that unfortunately have a ton of deflection in them.

I ordered a 31' Pro Tapered CF Pro with Medium Kamui and I must say right off the bat that this is by far the best playing shaft I've ever had the pleasure of shooting with. Now I can say it's going to feel and play that way on every cue you try it on because I tried it on about 5 Meucci's that have a similar joint radius as the size I ordered and cue hit well but wasn't until I introduced it a 1980 80-6 Meucci and it was like a match made in heaven.

The balance with the long shaft is extraordinarily comfortable and the extra stroking area of the Meucci Pro taper on a 31' shaft makes for the most pleasurable cueing experience I've every enjoyed in over 30 years of playing pool.

Now as far as the performance of the shaft which is equally as important as to how comfortable the shaft feels, it's a game changer IMO. I recently acquired a few beautiful Tony Guerra cues with very low deflection shafts and I really thought that was a game changer. My game increased 15-20% shooting with a stiffer, very low deflection cue. I guess I just learned to acclimate to a high deflection Meucci shaft after all these years and now that I had something that produced more reliable results I was hooked. The Meucci CF Pro shaft appears to have no deflection and you simply aim and shoot straight and the darn cue ball goes exactly where you hit it, no squirm, no slight roll or tendencies, just as straight as an arrow.

Now when you couple the most comfortable shaft along with dead balls on accurate hitting capabilities I'd say we have a good bingo here.

Here's the best part....I've been on a Seybert's waiting list for months for the Revo shaft and it's 23% higher priced, made in China and because I wanted an odd joint (a Modified 3/8X10, what's so odd about that) I had to wait multiple shipments from China before they get to this order.

From Meucci, I waited less than 3 weeks, shaft was made in the good old USA and I paid 23% less than the Revo or other comparable shafts that take months to order.

I give this shaft a 9-10 only because I don't think any shaft should cost more than $200 tops. That's any wood, ring work, tip, ferrule or manufacturer IMO.

However for the simple fact it's made in the USA, it's the least expensive CF shaft on the market, you can get it in less than a month and Bob will match any ring work for $15 and they'll make it in any pin configuration out there I highly recommend this shaft to any player out there not just Meucci owners.
All shafts have some deflection, zero deflection simply isn't a thing.
The Meucci Carbon Pro (MCP) is a great hitting shaft with a nice pro-taper and great feel.
However, the MCP has more deflection than several of the other carbon fiber shafts.
The tenon area under the ferrule and extending 2.5" into the shaft is wood.
Additionally, the CF mass is slightly thicker (approx. .10%)...none of this equals less deflection.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bca8ball; 05-11-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Updated with a complete mod photo

Old
  (#43)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Bca8ball:
That was a really informative post and a great read. It seems pretty reliable and matches up with everything I have heard. The Meucci deflection was a surprise though, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad :O I haven't played with any other CF but I can 100% vouch for the feel on my Jacoby, it's better than any wood ld shaft i've ever played with. That being said i've never played with a Meucci.
As for deflection I knew the Revo was always going to be number 1 and i've seen videos comparing it to the Cuetec. Is it safe to assume the deflection of the Jacoby is between Revo and the Cuetec? Or the same as the Cuetec? Your post makes it sound like it is slightly better than the Cuetec but obviously worse than the Revo. I haven't properly tested my Jacoby out yet and I can't compare it to any of the others so i'm not going to make false statements. It would be nice to know though. Either way i'm very pleased with my Jacoby that i've had for half a day :P
The Jacoby Black deflection is lower than the Cuetec but closer to that of the Cuetec Cynergy than the Revo.
The Cuetec has a double wall and the rather large ferrule creating mass.
The Jacoby Black doesn't have the large ferrule; however, they included some very high dense foam and had to double the CF mass at the leading edge to support their threading.
I have performed a mod on a Jacoby Black by removing the front section of foam and boring down extra front CF mass. Then I installed a Revo style vault plate.
This mod brought the Jacoby deflection down to the Revo deflection.
Attached Images

Old
  (#44)
Sean Hallett
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bca8ball View Post
The Jacoby Black deflection is lower than the Cuetec but closer to that of the Cuetec Cynergy than the Revo.
The Cuetec has a double wall and the rather large ferrule creating mass.
The Jacoby Black doesn't have the large ferrule; however, they included some very high dense foam and had to double the CF mass at the leading edge to support their threading.
I have performed a mod on a Jacoby Black by removing the front section of foam and boring down extra front CF mass. Then I installed a Revo style vault plate.
This mod brought the Jacoby deflection down to the Revo deflection.
That's absolutely insane! You are very skilled. I bet the sound and feel sound alot closer to the revo now that the deflection is the same.
Do you have any comparable knowledge regarding the Mezz ignite? That was second choice after the Jacoby.

Old
  (#45)
Bca8ball
AzB Silver Member

05-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
That's absolutely insane! You are very skilled. I bet the sound and feel sound alot closer to the revo now that the deflection is the same.
Do you have any comparable knowledge regarding the Mezz ignite? That was second choice after the Jacoby.
I have not gotten my hands on an Ignite shaft yet.
I hope it isn't similar to the United or BeCue versions; some appear to be more plastic than carbon.

Page 3 of 7 123 45 Last »