Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Why so few?
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member
sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
I just thought of a fifth reason:

5.) Some people like "Talk the Talk" but not "Walk the Talk."
Dave - I think it's difficult to get people to do anything anymore. People are so absorbed in a million different things and their free time is taken up by smart phones and netflix. I help small businesses find customers and put on classes and workshops and it is definitely a challenge to get people to participate in anything that requires an ounce of work. In general, people will pay money to forego inconvenience but very few will suffer an inconvenience to save or make some money. Apart from their regular job.

I saw your thread about the contest and I hoped it would draw a good number of people, but I also knew that I wouldn't be one of them. Because of all the reasons you stated (except #5, I can walk and talk just fine thank you )

If you want my advice - which I'm pretty sure you don't - here it is just in case there is something useful in it for you:
1) Organize some real life events where people can pay an entry fee and the best scores of the day split the pot. Also, every attempt gets entered into the online contest where the best scores in each category get cash prizes. So maybe the best in each handicap level overall + the best score for each part of the drill. I definitely do not mean showing up at a tournament and getting people to try it. This is helpful but I think an event dedicated the BU drills would be much more beneficial.

You could even organize events that are part online and part in person. So you do it at a pool hall with 10-12 competitors in person, meanwhile you could have people at home streaming in and streaming their attempts as well as watching the people in person. We do this with training seminars, we might have 6 people live in the classroom and then 25 people from around the world live online and it's just like they are there. They can ask questions, the instructors and other students can see them. It's great.

2) Instead of just having the big cash prize, you should offer a participation prize as well. Anyone who submits a video that qualifies gets a _______. Maybe a "Dr. Dave is Cool!" T-Shirt or something. You could partner with a sponsor and everyone who submits gets a cube of chalk or something. If I was on the fence and knew I had little chance of getting the prize I might be pushed over the line by an offer of a cube of chalk that I wanted to try but was a little expensive.

3) Ask for help. Be a little more forthright in why you are putting your money up for this. I'm not saying you are being dishonest at all, but everything I read about the contest was focused on what the player would benefit from doing it. No mention of how it would help you if they did. People today are motivated more by how they are helping other people or being a part of something than they used to be. It's all about the connection.

Instead of saying "Hey, you could win this prize" maybe try something along the lines of :

"I'm doing research on how well pool players do certain things and how this correlates to how well they can compete at every level. I've already learned some very exciting things which I can't wait to share with you!"

"What I really need right now though, is more people to add to my dataset. I need as many people as possible, from ALL skill levels, to do this playing test and share the results with me. This will be a tremendous benefit to all pool players because together we can learn what skills we should focus on the most during our practice sessions. What skills we can improve the fastest and which skills will help us win the most matches with the least amount of practice. So we can really focus in on building the tools we need to play our best pool."

"Oh, yeah, just to sweeten the pot we are also offering cash prizes for the best scores in each portion of the drill for each handicap level of player and the best scores overall. And everyone who submits a qualifying video will get a free piece of chalk from our sponsor, who has been really supportive of our research!"

Obviously in your own words. I'm just taking a stab at it and don't know why you want people to take the BU exams.

If you can win us over to your mission and make us a part of it, we will have a much better connection with you and your work and we will be much more willing to put in time and effort to help you.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#32)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Thank you for your excellent feedback and suggestions. I would like to do sponsored and big-payout BU Exam Challenge events in the future, but not while I still have my "day job."

FYI, our honest reasons for putting on the challenge was to get some top players to take the Exams and to see how high the scores could be pushed by those players. We didn't get quite as much participation as we had hoped for (e.g., several other pros said they would do it but did not), but I think we certainly achieved our goals.

Thanks again for your input,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
Dave - I think it's difficult to get people to do anything anymore. People are so absorbed in a million different things and their free time is taken up by smart phones and netflix. I help small businesses find customers and put on classes and workshops and it is definitely a challenge to get people to participate in anything that requires an ounce of work. In general, people will pay money to forego inconvenience but very few will suffer an inconvenience to save or make some money. Apart from their regular job.

I saw your thread about the contest and I hoped it would draw a good number of people, but I also knew that I wouldn't be one of them. Because of all the reasons you stated (except #5, I can walk and talk just fine thank you )

If you want my advice - which I'm pretty sure you don't - here it is just in case there is something useful in it for you:
1) Organize some real life events where people can pay an entry fee and the best scores of the day split the pot. Also, every attempt gets entered into the online contest where the best scores in each category get cash prizes. So maybe the best in each handicap level overall + the best score for each part of the drill. I definitely do not mean showing up at a tournament and getting people to try it. This is helpful but I think an event dedicated the BU drills would be much more beneficial.

You could even organize events that are part online and part in person. So you do it at a pool hall with 10-12 competitors in person, meanwhile you could have people at home streaming in and streaming their attempts as well as watching the people in person. We do this with training seminars, we might have 6 people live in the classroom and then 25 people from around the world live online and it's just like they are there. They can ask questions, the instructors and other students can see them. It's great.

2) Instead of just having the big cash prize, you should offer a participation prize as well. Anyone who submits a video that qualifies gets a _______. Maybe a "Dr. Dave is Cool!" T-Shirt or something. You could partner with a sponsor and everyone who submits gets a cube of chalk or something. If I was on the fence and knew I had little chance of getting the prize I might be pushed over the line by an offer of a cube of chalk that I wanted to try but was a little expensive.

3) Ask for help. Be a little more forthright in why you are putting your money up for this. I'm not saying you are being dishonest at all, but everything I read about the contest was focused on what the player would benefit from doing it. No mention of how it would help you if they did. People today are motivated more by how they are helping other people or being a part of something than they used to be. It's all about the connection.

Instead of saying "Hey, you could win this prize" maybe try something along the lines of :

"I'm doing research on how well pool players do certain things and how this correlates to how well they can compete at every level. I've already learned some very exciting things which I can't wait to share with you!"

"What I really need right now though, is more people to add to my dataset. I need as many people as possible, from ALL skill levels, to do this playing test and share the results with me. This will be a tremendous benefit to all pool players because together we can learn what skills we should focus on the most during our practice sessions. What skills we can improve the fastest and which skills will help us win the most matches with the least amount of practice. So we can really focus in on building the tools we need to play our best pool."

"Oh, yeah, just to sweeten the pot we are also offering cash prizes for the best scores in each portion of the drill for each handicap level of player and the best scores overall. And everyone who submits a qualifying video will get a free piece of chalk from our sponsor, who has been really supportive of our research!"

Obviously in your own words. I'm just taking a stab at it and don't know why you want people to take the BU exams.

If you can win us over to your mission and make us a part of it, we will have a much better connection with you and your work and we will be much more willing to put in time and effort to help you.

Old
  (#33)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
FYI, the dots are not required. We just recommend them because they make ball placement easier and more consistent.

That's kind of the point ... that people will use the BU Exams as a pool workout to help develop and improve the full range of pool skills. I personally enjoy the challenge of seeing how high I can push my scores . It helps motivate me, and I think my real pool game has improved as a result. Also, if everybody who participates gives it their best effort with multiple attempts and lots of practice, then the relative results will still be meaningful, IMO. For example, look at the results of the $2500 BU Exam Challenge. It takes a lot of skill, ability, focus, determination, accuracy, and consistency to achieve scores as high as were posted by the winners. Few non-pros or non-top-shortstops would be able to reach those scores, regardless of how much they might practice the exams. And if they do practice the exams long enough to where they can post those scores, their real pool game would undoubtedly be much better, IMO.

Regards,
Dave

Didn't say nothin' 'bout no dots.

And frankly, the question was why I personally didn't do the exam and I gave an honest answer.

Now, if others find the "tool" that is the exam useful, in terms of concentrating, motivation, challenging themselves, whatever -- I say more power to them. But hitting pool balls with purpose and concentration has never been a problem for me.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 09-05-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Old
  (#34)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Didn't say nothin' 'bout no dots.

And frankly, the question was why I personally didn't do the exam and I gave an honest answer.

Now, if others find use the "tool" that is the exam useful, in terms of concentrating, motivation, challenging themselves, whatever -- I say more power to them. But hitting pool balls with purpose and concentration has never been a problem for me.

Lou Figueroa
Nor, I.
Unless, of course, too many shots of Quervo were involved.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

I am a member in good standing in the Lock Society as: Tramp Lock.

Old
  (#35)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2016, 06:46 PM

It's great thing but it's a AAA or better test so very few simply by numbers are capable of being in contention

Last edited by one stroke; 09-04-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Old
  (#36)
Celtic
AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Celtic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2016, 06:49 PM

I quit playing pool about 4 years ago when I moved up to Fort McMurray due to 14.5 hour work days including daily commute and no real pool scene in town and no pool hall.

Old
  (#37)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
09-05-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.
People are too lazy. I have dedicated half of my shop to a free training area and NO ONE shows up to actually train. I say I will give away raffle tickets for a case if they can beat us in a short race and they come to do that. But if they lose they have to work on their game for an hour and they refuse to do it.

It's that simple really.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#38)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Neil,

I've been practicing the drills, have most of the dots in place, and use paper for "hit" areas instead of dots.

I thought i"d have more camera skills when I got done practicing, but I don't. I will have my son post a video in the fall of me. Not gonna win this, but won't be embarrassed either

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#39)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

09-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
NI will have my son post a video in the fall of me. Not gonna win this, but won't be embarrassed either
The $2500 BU Exam Challenge is now over, but please post your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU thread after you put in a good attempt.

Good luck,
Dave

Old
  (#40)
fastone371
Certifiable
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
People are too lazy. I have dedicated half of my shop to a free training area and NO ONE shows up to actually train. I say I will give away raffle tickets for a case if they can beat us in a short race and they come to do that. But if they lose they have to work on their game for an hour and they refuse to do it.

It's that simple really.
If Earth was near my house I would be at your shop at least 5 times a week free case or no free case.

Old
  (#41)
Jimbojim
AzB Silver Member
Jimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond reputeJimbojim has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2016, 11:44 AM

I don't have access to good quality recording equipment and I don't have my own table. While I could still do it at the pool hall with my cell phone or a cheap camera....there is NO WAY the other players would leave me alone or wouldn't be curious about it. I'd get bothered by other players or the pool hall staff constantly so no point in doing it if I can't have the dedicated time/place required for it.

Besides that, its a very interesting concept.

" You can chalk that cue as much as you want, but if you don't chalk your mind you will still miscue" - Puncho

Playing cue : Mezz Axi-R with Expro shaft
Breaking cue : Mezz Power Break Kai
Jump Cue : Pitbull
Case : Cowboy Instroke 3B/7S

Old
  (#42)
tucson9ball
AzB Silver Member
tucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

09-06-2016, 11:48 AM

I didn't know much about it, guess I haven't been reading threads much lately.
Besides that, I don't have a way of doing a video and uploading it to my computer.
Maybe I will get a cheap camera($100), mount it and give it a whirl.
Of course this will have to wait until my new Diamond light gets delivered....been almost 3 months and still waiting.

Chris

Old
  (#43)
krupa
The Dream Operator
krupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond reputekrupa has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Dr. Dave just ended the Billiard University Exam Challenge. There were only 4 people in the pro division, and only 10 people entered the amateur division.

This challenge was free money. No entry fee, no travel. Just table time if you don't have free access to a 9' table. Why have so few even bothered to go after the free money? I can't do it any more due to health reasons, but there have been at least half a dozen on here that have stated that I can't play a lick. Where are their scores for that free money?

What is it? People on here don't really play the game? People are too lazy to spend an hour for a thousand? I don't get it. Not very many have even put up scores for the thread in the stickies. I really don't understand why, when the test is really good for improving ones game. Are there that few that really want to improve?

Please state the reason for not participating in it. Dr. Dave and others would really like to understand the why's of such low participation. Thank you in advance for your honest answers.
I probably would have participated if (a) I knew about it and (b) I didn't spend the summer ignoring my pool table (and the pool world at large.) I would not have won but I would have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Sometimes running out is like drunk driving, sometimes it is like making toast.

Old
  (#44)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

09-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson9ball View Post
I didn't know much about it, guess I haven't been reading threads much lately.
Besides that, I don't have a way of doing a video and uploading it to my computer.
Maybe I will get a cheap camera($100), mount it and give it a whirl.
Of course this will have to wait until my new Diamond light gets delivered....been almost 3 months and still waiting.
This is coming from someone who's technology latest update was iron chisels to carve stone, but don't all cell phones today have the ability to record video and put it on the internet??

Old
  (#45)
Spimp13
O8 Specialist
Spimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond reputeSpimp13 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2100

09-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
This is coming from someone who's technology latest update was iron chisels to carve stone, but don't all cell phones today have the ability to record video and put it on the internet??
They do but I think most camera file sizes are absolutely enormous for very short periods of time. I'm assuming they can be converted or compressed to a smaller format, but I would be willing to guess most don't even want to mess with that (hence adding to JBs comment of the laziness).

Playing Cue: Paul Sumrall
Break Cue: BK II
Jump Cue: Kangaroo
Case: Justis

Matt

Page 3 of 4 123 4