Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Are There Benefits To This Drill?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-21-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
I tried it this way. Didnt seem to enhance the drill one way or another. I believe I will stick with the two balls next to each other.

Either way, my success rate isnt very good doing this. I dont know what the problem is. Its got to be one of three things:
1) Bad alignment
2) Bad aim
3) Bad stroke

I am inclined to believe its a faulty stroke. Or just lack of ability, I suppose.

r/DCP
Try aligning the stick as you stand eyeballing the shot. IOW putting the stick exactly on the shot; tip resting on the table, backhand in contact with the cloth. Now get down without moving the stick. The shot will probably look different than if you got down with your normal routine. Reason says you did the geometry correctly therefore...

Old
  (#17)
bbb
AzB Silver Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-23-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I tried it this way. Didnt seem to enhance the drill one way or another. I believe I will stick with the two balls next to each other.

Either way, my success rate isnt very good doing this. I dont know what the problem is. Its got to be one of three things:
1) Bad alignment
2) Bad aim
3) Bad stroke

I am inclined to believe its a faulty stroke. Or just lack of ability, I suppose.

r/DCP
at least you tried it
thanks for trying and posting your results.....

Old
  (#18)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Try Bob's suggestion (marking the center of the pocket and watching how close you come to it) and let us know what you think.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#19)
straightline
AzB Silver Member
straightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond reputestraightline has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Here is a drill that I think will give better results in pocketing accuracy faster and easier:

Mark the centers of all six pockets with donuts. There is a single spot on the cloth which can the be target for all shots to each pocket.

Play whichever drill you want but on every shot note how close you came to driving the the object ball over the center of the donut.

I hope everyone can see the advantages of working on pocketing accuracy this way rather than by putting up guard/gate balls.
A development of this drill would be to aim the edge of the ball to the corresponding facing and varying points on it, out to the tits. Doing this gives tangible to exact feedback

Old
  (#20)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightline View Post
A development of this drill would be to aim the edge of the ball to the corresponding facing and varying points on it, out to the tits. Doing this gives tangible to exact feedback
I think the single point in the pocket for all shots is a better way to do it rather than have multiple targets changing for each shot. I think that most people are sending the center of the object ball in a certain direction rather than an edge.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
straightline
AzB Silver Member

10-23-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I think the single point in the pocket for all shots is a better way to do it rather than have multiple targets changing for each shot. I think that most people are sending the center of the object ball in a certain direction rather than an edge.
True and most of the issue. Cognizance of the swath of the object ball is fundamental to precise cueing.

Old
  (#22)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-23-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightline View Post
True and most of the issue. Cognizance of the swath of the object ball is fundamental to precise cueing.
So if you can get the object ball to curve is it swath buckling?

Old
  (#23)
straightline
AzB Silver Member

10-23-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
So if you can get the object ball to curve is it swath buckling?
Not unless you can produce a distinct kink in the trajectory. John Schmitt has demonstrated this abillty on video.

Mark all 6 Pockets
Old
  (#24)
marikian
AzB Silver Member
marikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond repute

Mark all 6 Pockets - 10-25-2020, 05:09 PM

Just for giggles I marked all 6 pockets with donuts placed in the center of the entrance of the pockets. The thing that is amazing is being able to see the spot on the object ball so much better.

Old
  (#25)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marikian View Post
Just for giggles I marked all 6 pockets with donuts placed in the center of the entrance of the pockets. The thing that is amazing is being able to see the spot on the object ball so much better.
Does it also make adjusting for throw more conscious?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#26)
marikian
AzB Silver Member
marikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond reputemarikian has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2020, 07:19 PM

I will think a out that. But it sure makes ball pocketing much easier to see if that makes sense.

Old
  (#27)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/15231.png

The two balls are positioned where there is about an inch to spare, about a half inch on both side. Shoot the 6B down through the 1B and 3B with follow, stun, and draw. And FYI, this is indeed a straight-in shot.

So, Instructors and knowledgeable posters......is there any benefit to shooting this drill?

r/DCP

NOTE: U12ARMRESL, IUSEDTOBERICH, AND BBB - PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. YOU WILL ADD NOTHING EXCEPT INSULTS AND ONCE AGAIN HIJACK A THREAD. PLEASE, JUST DONT POST ANYTHING HERE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
Who created this drill?

Old
  (#28)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Who created this drill?
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/97c7d.png

I have no idea Fran. I do remember seeing this similar version in a pool magazine article by Mark Wilson. Its where you shoot the CB through two object balls. I just modified it so you were actually shooting a ball through the two object balls.

I assume you dont like it?

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#29)
straightline
AzB Silver Member

10-26-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/97c7d.png

I have no idea Fran. I do remember seeing this similar version in a pool magazine article by Mark Wilson. Its where you shoot the CB through two object balls. I just modified it so you were actually shooting a ball through the two object balls.

I assume you dont like it?

r/DCP
It's just a drill. Sheesh. I've used coat hangars bent into croquet type gates. You wanna talk tough pockets... lol...

Old
  (#30)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

10-26-2020, 01:42 PM

Making it through the gate puts you in the pocket by default, but I don't see how it teaches you to aim at the pocket when the gate isn't there.

pj
chgo

Page 2 of 3 12 3