Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Stroke improvement question for instructors and non instructors
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-27-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightline View Post
The pause at the back end Is to prevent yanking the stick before firing but I rather think a full pause might break the analog of your nervous system/speed sense/ whatever is on your mind. Most people's practice strokes have smooth transitions at the back end so it follows that your shooting delivery should start just before the end of the backswing. Just don't jerk it.
Not every player, including pros and amateurs, uses a full pause. If you want to work toward a full pause, however, on your practice strokes, slow down more and more until it's like you are taking a full pause on your last stroke.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Last edited by BilliardsAbout; 05-13-2020 at 05:03 AM.

Old
  (#17)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Not every player, including pros and amateurs, use a full pause.
Aint that the truth...….

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#18)
dquarasr
Registered
dquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond reputedquarasr has a reputation beyond repute

04-28-2020, 05:30 PM

I've been drilling, and some days it's good; others it's not so much. Why, oh, why the inconsistency?!?

I set my phone on a rail and took a video of me taking a dead-straight shot over and over. Those I made were, well, pretty good. Those I missed, for no apparent reason while I was down on the shot, had a common error, even though I concentrated on following through straight toward my target.

The video revealed that my elbow was coming out in my follow through. So, I've been concentrating on quieting my elbow.

Point is: be inventive in analyzing. Most of us have smart phones with video capability. No need for expensive equipment.

Old
  (#19)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

04-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Sighting. Very minor offsets can create very bad habits. Take a look at Dr Dave's website where he talks about the vision centre. When players get this right, alignment and a straight cueing action soon follows.

Pulling the cue back too far/ not far enough. I see time and time again a really long bridge with a really long pull back, on every shot! A simple drill is to set up straight shots, mark the cue ball, mark your bridge, and place two cubes of chalk half way between your bridge and cue ball. Cue between the cubes of chalk and pull back so the tip is level with the chalk. Just hit stop shots to start trying to make the cue ball stop absolutely dead. Increase cut shots gradually and hit stop shots. Use pieces of A4 paper along the tangent line (or along the tangent line and off a rail or two for position practice) and try to land the cue ball on the paper. You become much more consistent at this and a better judge of cue ball speed when you have a consistent pull back and tempo.

Old
  (#20)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-08-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
Aint that the truth...….

r/DCP
EVERYBODY pauses Mike. That's what you just don't get. The difference is how long; how smooth the transition is, and how relaxed your trip is. Plus, regardless of how long or short their pauses (and here's the part you probably will never get) they pause purposefully, not randomly.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#21)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member
JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

05-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
EVERYBODY pauses Mike. That's what you just don't get. The difference is how long; how smooth the transition is, and how relaxed your trip is. Plus, regardless of how long or short their pauses (and here's the part you probably will never get) they pause purposefully, not randomly.

Scott Lee
And amazingly, the longer you pause on the cueball on the final stroke makes it easier to pause on the back stroke.

Old
  (#22)
tableroll
Rolling Thunder
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2020, 08:19 PM

For me, pausing a full second on the backswing helps me make more balls.

Old
  (#23)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableroll View Post
For me, pausing a full second on the backswing helps me make more balls.
Then I think it's safe to say that you are not a feel player. Players who play by feel don't take long pauses. It's not natural to their rhythm and timing. You probably also aren't the type to trust your unconscious mind to take over your stroke.

Old
  (#24)
tableroll
Rolling Thunder
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2020, 05:44 PM

I think that is true. After 40 years of playing the wrong way and forming a lot of bad habits, I am progressing into an orthodox stroke routine but it is a challenge. I am getting there. I think by the end of the year i will be near where I want to be. Now I have these forums, U-Tube videos and i have done some instruction with Randy and I must say I have improved a lot in the last two years. I have moved out of thinking about every "correct way" to stroke which was somewhat robotic. The one second pause may not be that long but the pause is quite an improvement. The last two details of my "perfect stroke" routine is the zero head and body movement and the elbow only moving. My stroke is moving out of the mechanical and robotic "think about every "perfect stroke" step and on to the stroke being more natural and I do not have to think about every step very much except the body movement and elbow only. Hoping to have this incorporated into my routine in a month or two. I forgot, I also have to work on my "smooth transition" I am a slow learner.

Last edited by tableroll; 05-13-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Old
  (#25)
tableroll
Rolling Thunder

05-12-2020, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the input.

Old
  (#26)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post

Scott Lee
Yes, but it's possible to pause for so slight a time that there is no feel or sense of pause.

It's possible to have an utterly silky, smooth stroke, without a perceptible pause.

The same concept comes up in golf, where some muscles are moving/changing direction while the club pauses at the top of the backswing. Some golf pros have a discernible pause, some do not.

Not all pros use the same stroke and we recognize at AZ piston, J- and pendulum strokes.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#27)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Yes, but it's possible to pause for so slight a time that there is no feel or sense of pause.

It's possible to have an utterly silky, smooth stroke, without a perceptible pause.

The same concept comes up in golf, where some muscles are moving/changing direction while the club pauses at the top of the backswing. Some golf pros have a discernible pause, some do not.

Not all pros use the same stroke and we recognize at AZ piston, J- and pendulum strokes.
I'll say it again...……..Aint that the truth!

I've watched tons of pool over the years. ESPN, Accu-Stats videos, live and in person, etc, etc. About the only top level player that I have ever seen that has a big time pause is Buddy Hall. Back in his prime, of course.

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom - Bloodwood & Holly
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 Apple Green

Old
  (#28)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
I'll say it again...……..Aint that the truth!

I've watched tons of pool over the years. ESPN, Accu-Stats videos, live and in person, etc, etc. About the only top level player that I have ever seen that has a big time pause is Buddy Hall. Back in his prime, of course.

r/DCP
And if you study some of the Filipino players, you'll find that they don't pause at all because they have a loop stroke which is continuous.

Old
  (#29)
tableroll
Rolling Thunder

05-13-2020, 05:33 PM

John Morra and Chris Melling come to mind as having big time pauses.

Old
  (#30)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-13-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
And if you study some of the Filipino players, you'll find that they don't pause at all because they have a loop stroke which is continuous.
True for non-loop strokes too. An automobile piston travels back and forth in a straight line while driving a driveshaft in a perfectly circular motion with no pauses.

pj
chgo

Page 2 of 4 12 34