Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page What about a transparent cue ball, as a help to teach beginners, how to aim right?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Thread is closed / thanks to all of you!
Old
  (#16)
al-capool
Imagine all the people...
al-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond reputeal-capool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Talking Thread is closed / thanks to all of you! - 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I found these guys upon a google search:

http://www.abcbilliardplus.com/Pages...liardBalls.htm

It looks like they can make you any set you like, and I would think they already have a clear ball on hand. Their email and phone number is listed. Good luck.
hy iusedtoberich,
That's exaxtly what was floating around in my Imagination and what I was looking for in diff. do-it-yourself shops! Now let's see if they also sell one single ball?!
Thank you very much for that precious information and a big thank you to all of you for these kind and helpfull feedbacks!
P.S. ihopeyougonnaberichagain LOL

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!

Last edited by al-capool; 04-14-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!

I am just learning
Old
  (#17)
Robert.Beak
Registered
Robert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond repute

Question I am just learning - 09-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Hello to all! I'm a beginner by the way and was looking for a topic for beginners. I'm still bad at it, but very interesting. I want to train a lot, develop a technique for myself. Who started how? I may have missed the topic a bit, but I haven't found other topics for the new ones. sorry

I wish you all a good sight!

Old
  (#18)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

09-04-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-capool View Post
To all of you who are already giving or gave some pool lessons to beginners:

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

- A half ball away right behind the objectball in direction pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!
Not very easy for every beginner to get it like that!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

OR WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA?

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!
Rempe yrs ago, had a template of cue ball striking points, been a long time since I've thought of that, but I'm sure RG knows where to find it. Helps explain striking points on the cue ball.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#19)
Robert.Beak
Registered
Robert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond reputeRobert.Beak has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
Rempe yrs ago, had a template of cue ball striking points, been a long time since I've thought of that, but I'm sure RG knows where to find it. Helps explain striking points on the cue ball.
is there any encyclopedias or video tutorials?
I am at home all evenings...
I want to spend them with benefit, otherwise, all these series have already got

P.S.
I know what practice is the best teacher,
I think so...

Old
  (#20)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

09-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
To all of you who are already giving or gave some pool lessons to beginners:

When it comes to the theme of aiming right, there are some persons who misinterpreting and some even misunderstanding the 2 most common ways of explaining and showing, how to aim right!

- The "invisible" cueball right behind the object ball, on the same line toward pocket!

- A half ball away right behind the objectball in direction pocket!

Some are even using a laser pointer who shows "only" the exact hitting point as a help!
You can explain it, design it and repeat it, that they can imagine one or both systems of aiming…?!
Not very easy for every beginner to get it like that!

Well about 2 months ago I suddenly had the Idea to buy in a Do-it-yourself shop a transparent Plastic ball and if I won't find one there to let make one! It just must have the same diameter as the cueball.
Please don't laugh too long, because at least IMO you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!

OR WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY IDEA?

P.S. I hope that most of you did understand good enough my bad and Swiss influenced English, to know what and how I meant it?!
It's an excellent idea for several reasons. I helped someone develop this idea a bit some years ago--but pool manufacturers were unable to make a transparent cue ball that was playable, for a low enough cost.

A transparent ball in the dimensions of a cue ball would be a nice aiming aid--as long as students didn't use it for an actual cue ball.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#21)
Robert.Beak
Registered

09-09-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
It's an excellent idea for several reasons. I helped someone develop this idea a bit some years ago--but pool manufacturers were unable to make a transparent cue ball that was playable, for a low enough cost.

A transparent ball in the dimensions of a cue ball would be a nice aiming aid--as long as students didn't use it for an actual cue ball.
well I agree and no. it may be easier for a beginner to aim. but that does not mean that he will become a good player. Intense, hard workouts are much more useful.
Like Brazilian footballers who practice on the sand !!

Old
  (#22)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Beak View Post
well I agree and no. it may be easier for a beginner to aim. but that does not mean that he will become a good player. Intense, hard workouts are much more useful.
Like Brazilian footballers who practice on the sand !!
Hard workouts of bad aim ingrain bad habits. When I give lessons, I show very simple shots to improve your aim FAST. It goes faster to learn on a good aim foundation.

However, I agree with you that hard workouts can help a player go next level in skill.

The clear balls posted are sharp looking but to be an aim aid, they need to be more transparent and not give illusory ball angles.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, Book & DVD, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool (Named to the 25 Best Billiards Books of All Time by Bookauthority) and Picture Yourself Shooting Pool Like A Pro

Old
  (#23)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-10-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
...you could place that transparent cueball right behind the object ball on the same line toward pocket and like that you could show for real and explain it much easier where the cueball has to go, for hitting the objectball at the right point, to put it in!
So a clear "ghost ball"? Why would clear be better?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#24)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2020, 07:24 AM

I don't know of any material for the ball that will stay clear in the long run. You are playing on something like sandpaper (chalk on the cloth) and you are hitting the ball with powdered sand on leather. The clear surface is necessarily going to get abraded.

Further, a clear ball will act like a lens and any image that does get through the ball will be distorted beyond use.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#25)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Beak View Post
is there any encyclopedias or video tutorials?
I am at home all evenings...
Hi Robert,
It seems that you have made your comments in a very strange thread/subject. Was it your intention to discuss cue balls that you can see through?

If you want general advice on how to improve your game, try looking here:

https://billiards.colostate.edu/tutorial/

There is lots of good introductory material there and videos on many pool subjects including aiming. There are also many suggestions there on how to practice.

Good luck with your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 09-10-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Old
  (#26)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

09-10-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
So a clear "ghost ball"? Why would clear be better? ...
The OP has not been on this site in over two years.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I don't know of any material for the ball that will stay clear in the long run. You are playing on something like sandpaper (chalk on the cloth) and you are hitting the ball with powdered sand on leather. The clear surface is necessarily going to get abraded.

Further, a clear ball will act like a lens and any image that does get through the ball will be distorted beyond use.
Even if it was clear and undistorted, what's the advantage? What would you be able to see that would help aiming (or anything else)?

pj
chgo

Page 2 of 2 12