Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Billiard and Pool History in the U.S.
Reload this Page Willie Mosconi's World Championships
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-06-2020, 04:35 PM

I have to chime in.
I played Mosconi an exhibition in 1964.
It would be fair to say he did almost all the playing although i did get a couple times at the table then he ran 85 perfect balls and out.
I've seen most of the old time greats in person being a New Jersey kid in the '60's.
I've seen a lot of modern players also.
While the very best of today would give Mosconi tough competition nobody past or present ran racks as smooth as Willie.
He played 14.1 on a different level.
You really had to see it.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#17)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
I have to chime in.
I played Mosconi an exhibition in 1964.
It would be fair to say he did almost all the playing although i did get a couple times at the table then he ran 85 perfect balls and out.
I've seen most of the old time greats in person being a New Jersey kid in the '60's.
I've seen a lot of modern players also.
While the very best of today would give Mosconi tough competition nobody past or present ran racks as smooth as Willie.
He played 14.1 on a different level.
You really had to see it.
That's what everyone says, hence my original comment to Marc. Nice that you got to play him!

Dan White

Old
  (#18)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

10-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
That's what everyone says, hence my original comment to Marc. Nice that you got to play him!
I was 17 years old.
On the ride to the pool room I was fine.
Then I walked in and saw the crowd and Willie.
Willie had on a nice suit and was groomed perfectly.
Thats when I got nervous.
Past that it's all a blur now except how truly great this guy played.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said “I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.”

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Page 2 of 2 12