Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Ask me too
Page 2 of 12 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
mattp
AzB Silver Member
mattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond reputemattp has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-14-2013, 01:39 AM

Yo Kaz,
I'll practice combos and shoot in over balls with ya anytime. My lemme know.

Old
  (#17)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member
kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

07-14-2013, 04:38 AM

Matt we should have practiced yesterday at the league tournament. Tough loss for you guys. Who finally won the second place tourny.
Anyway, we should get together at On the Snap and practice. I just do not know what to practice. I cannot figure out why I am missing combos. I keep checking my aim. Everything looks perfect. I shoot and miss.

Old
  (#18)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member
(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute

07-14-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
Matt we should have practiced yesterday at the league tournament. Tough loss for you guys. Who finally won the second place tourny.
Anyway, we should get together at On the Snap and practice. I just do not know what to practice. I cannot figure out why I am missing combos. I keep checking my aim. Everything looks perfect. I shoot and miss.
It is very possible that your problems are created from a lack of confidence which cause you to stroke the ball poorly in a way that is impossible to diagnose without seeing you in person. For example people tend to jump up on the shot when they are not in agreement with it, but how is Fran or anyone else suppose to recognize that as your problem and instruct you on how to correct it from a forum unless you were able to present video perhaps?

The answer to your problem is probably something that you already know how to correct anyway but you just are not aware that you are doing it.

It might be that you need a live lesson so the instructor can see the issue and let you know of it or you can also practice with awareness of your execution, as I said the problem is something that you likely know to and how to correct once you become aware of it and with enough practice you will become aware of what you are doing wrong if you know that it is wrong in the first place.

The bottom line is there are no secrets that Fran or any other instructor can give you that will allow you to line up combinations and fire them in without practice. you probably already know all you need to know on lining up combinations you just have to keep at it.

Last edited by (((Satori))); 07-14-2013 at 07:10 AM.

Old
  (#19)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member
(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute(((Satori))) has a reputation beyond repute

07-14-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
When playing an object ball off another object ball into the pocket, it's fairly easy to send the first object ball down the tangent line to the pocket with speed, when the two object balls are fairly close together.

If the distance between the two object balls is greater, and the first object ball begins rolling, I'm having difficulty determining the contact point on the second object ball to send the first object ball to the pocket. Is there a way to find the contact point on the second object ball that will send the first object ball to the pocket?
Having three balls in play does not change how one ball comes off of another. Ob #1 will come off of object ball #2 the same way that a cue ball will come off of 1 object ball, the same factors are in play, if there is natural roll on the object ball #1 then you need to strike object ball #2 in the spot that will allow for the correct departure angle.

***The rule of thumb is a fuller hit will make the ball depart further away from the tangent line while a thinner hit will depart closer to the tangent line.***

To practice this set an object ball on the spot and the cue in the center and practice hitting the object ball at different points starting with a full hit and working towards extremely thin and notice where the cue strikes the rail after departure and more importantly how the departure angle compared to the tangent line based on the thickness of the hit. When doing this drill use a little bit of top in order to create natural roll.

Last edited by (((Satori))); 07-14-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Old
  (#20)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

07-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznj View Post
Do you know of any material either in print or video that gives some pointers on playing combinations. I have been practicing these and have a lot of trouble seeing the shot. If I miss i make adjustments, but if I set up another shot I still seeing the exact place to hit the first ball.
How many hours have you practiced shooting combination shots?

Don't misquote me, please
Old
  (#21)
Donny Lutz
Ferrule Cat
Donny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't misquote me, please - 07-15-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I improved the most in my game when I practiced. Sorry, but most players don't practice enough. They just want answers. The answers are found when you hit the tables and put in the work.

Just like you know people, so do I. I know people who keep going to different instructors to find answers. They are trying to find solutions that will enable them to get better with less practice. It's just not going to work. You have to put in the time and get to know yourself at the table.

Been there. Done it. It works.

As for Karen, I just spoke with her day before yesterday. I'll have to ask her about those 30 instructors.
I didn't say that one shouldn't practice, or that players practice too much. My point, which I thought I made clear, is that practice alone will get you nowhere if you don't know what and how to practice. Most novices think "practice" means just playing games or banging balls.

Yes, please ask Karen. My statement was based on what was said by an announcer at a televised event, who had spoken to Karen. I didn't make that up.

I've agreed with you many times here on AZ and paid you rather nice compliments. Yet you seem to go on the defensive when anyone disagrees with you in the slightest way.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
Regular Columnist for Pool & Billliard Magazine

Old
  (#22)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Lutz View Post
I didn't say that one shouldn't practice, or that players practice too much. My point, which I thought I made clear, is that practice alone will get you nowhere if you don't know what and how to practice. Most novices think "practice" means just playing games or banging balls.

Yes, please ask Karen. My statement was based on what was said by an announcer at a televised event, who had spoken to Karen. I didn't make that up.

I've agreed with you many times here on AZ and paid you rather nice compliments. Yet you seem to go on the defensive when anyone disagrees with you in the slightest way.
Oh come on, Donny. I'm discussing an issue, just like you are. The minute I come back with a rebuttal, you call it being defensive? Does that include all the times I let posters have the last word when they're coming at me like gangbusters?

Fuhgeddabouditt.

Now you can feel free to have the last word. See? If I were defensive, I'd keep things going on and on and on and on....

Last edited by FranCrimi; 07-15-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Old
  (#23)
67tbird
AzB Silver Member
67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightPoolIU View Post
Let me get more specific with this question if I can. I'm a 5-6 level player and just a couple of the things I struggle with are combinations and shooting over balls. I try to avoid these situations whenever possible, but sometimes they come up and you have to be able to shoot them. The shooting over balls is especially bad for me. I feel like it makes me a 80-20 underdog at least when it comes to making the shot.
Straightpool, there is a drill for shooting over balls that my friend used to do, and he's one of the best I've seen at shooting over balls now.

Simply place a ball directly behind your cue ball before every shot. I'm sure you'll absolutely hate it, but you sure will get better, and be much more comfortable with it when it comes up in a match.

Also take note that developing a stable raised bridge will help you immensely. Try placing the elbow of your bridge arm down on either the rail or table when possible.

As for combinations, try shooting the first ball at a point on the rail instead of at the second ball. A more distant target should help your accuracy.

It's important to remember that contact induced throw plays a larger part in combinations then in single OB shots, since there are two balls to account for.

Remember that a combination is a difficult shot, and everyone misses even the easier ones. But you can certainly improve your percentages.

- Andy

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Old
  (#24)
67tbird
AzB Silver Member
67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute67tbird has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
When playing an object ball off another object ball into the pocket, it's fairly easy to send the first object ball down the tangent line to the pocket with speed, when the two object balls are fairly close together.

If the distance between the two object balls is greater, and the first object ball begins rolling, I'm having difficulty determining the contact point on the second object ball to send the first object ball to the pocket. Is there a way to find the contact point on the second object ball that will send the first object ball to the pocket?
Paul, the reason you're finding it easier to gauge the angle off the second ball when they are close together is because the first ball is still sliding, which sends it off on the tangent line.

Once the first ball is rolling, there is a fairly large range of angles at which the first ball will come off the second ball at close to 30 degrees, exactly as if you hit it with a rolling cue ball.

I believe you can find a chart showing this in more depth on Dr Dave's website.

Try racking the balls with the cue ball at the apex of the rack, and begin your game by caroming the remaining OB off the CB and into a pocket. Then shoot the entire rack by cueing any object ball, and caroming it off the cue ball into a pocket.

If you use a rolling ball as much as possible, this will give you a great idea of where you need to hit the second ball to depart on the line you are looking for.

One method to get the first ball to skid a bit longer and depart on the tangent line in an actual game would be to hit the first ball a bit firmer, and make sure you hit it with a rolling cue ball. The gear effect of a rolling cue ball will help slightly.

I hope I've given you some new ideas

- Andy

Old
  (#25)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
07-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I improved the most in my game when I practiced. Sorry, but most players don't practice enough. They just want answers. The answers are found when you hit the tables and put in the work.

Just like you know people, so do I. I know people who keep going to different instructors to find answers. They are trying to find solutions that will enable them to get better with less practice. It's just not going to work. You have to put in the time and get to know yourself at the table.

Been there. Done it. It works.

As for Karen, I just spoke with her day before yesterday. I'll have to ask her about those 30 instructors.

Tap Tap Tap
Amen Mylady :-)

hope you re doin well Fran

lg
Ingo

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#26)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

07-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratta View Post
Tap Tap Tap
Amen Mylady :-)

hope you re doin well Fran

lg
Ingo
You betcha, Ingo. Doing great. Hope all is well with you too! Keep on posting. I love reading your advice!

Old
  (#27)
PaulM
Registered
PaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond reputePaulM has a reputation beyond repute

07-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((Satori))) View Post
***The rule of thumb is a fuller hit will make the ball depart further away from the tangent line while a thinner hit will depart closer to the tangent line.***
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67tbird View Post
If you use a rolling ball as much as possible, this will give you a great idea of where you need to hit the second ball to depart on the line you are looking for.
Thanks for the replies

I was hoping there might be a system to figure this out to make it easier to learn and apply in a game. Is there a system?

Old
  (#28)
67tbird
AzB Silver Member

07-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies

I was hoping there might be a system to figure this out to make it easier to learn and apply in a game. Is there a system?
My system would be the tangent line combined with the 30 degree rule.

That will get you close, but there's no substitute for practice. The game I described would really help, I believe.

Keep in mind though that this is a very difficult shot, and may not always be reasonable. It takes practice to recognize the balls that are ideally positioned to carom off into a pocket.

- Andy

Old
  (#29)
(((Satori)))
AzB Silver Member

07-16-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies

When you do the drill with natural roll I suggested you will start to understand a system.

You will recognize the range departure angles that are possible and why. You will discover that the full hit will carom off more in line with the shot and the less full you get the carom angle will widen to 33% at half ball then start to go down again.

The major thing you will notice is the wide margin of hits from just inside of 3/4 to just inside of 1/4 and everything in between that will all send the cue close to 30%. This is the 30% line you heard referred to. It happens because as the hit gets thinner the tangent line moves closer to 30% and the cue will track closer to the tangent line. This contact area will allow you the most margin of error but it is still good to know how the 30% was obtained and why it does not occur when you hit too full or too thin.

Old
  (#30)
Mark Avlon
Northwest Pool School
Mark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond reputeMark Avlon has a reputation beyond repute

07-16-2013, 09:45 AM

There is a billiard system that works fairly well.

Mark Avlon
PBIA Advanced Instructor
ACS Level 3 Instructor
Northwest Pool School

Page 2 of 12 12 34 Last »