Daily
  Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue and shaft reviews
Reload this Page Mezz united vs standard 5/16x14?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
BigBoof
AzB Silver Member
BigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoof has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-30-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDeca View Post
This is true. A "mezz united joint" shaft will not screw right on to a 5/16-14 butt pin. I get the same results as guy above with two schon butts. A joss and a jacoby butt. United joint shaft only goes on as shown in pic.

I have a feeling that guys saying that there "united joint" shafts fit a regular 5/16-14 butt pin actually have 5/16 -14 shaft inserts and not the united They look the same. But are not.

Now a 5/16-14 shaft fits the United but .(it doesn't screwe on tight like a united shaft insert) A united joint shaft is for a united joint but only. Unless u modify the threads on the insert

I'm posting this because I don't want guys to buy a united joint shaft from Mezz and think it's interchangeable with other makers butts as is...like I was led to believe by posters on this forum.
My mileage differs. My ex pro shaft does feel snugger towards the end but it was more secure feeling than anything else. It was more like the pin was doing the joining whereas the pilot does that job on a lot of 5/16-14 cues.

If I had a choice to buy a shaft, in either joint, with minimal price difference, I would buy the united. There may be a difference between a true mezz joint on a mezz shaft and a united joint on a 3rd party shaft, like a predator.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#17)
RDeca
AzB Silver Member
RDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond reputeRDeca has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2020, 01:46 PM

If u buy shafting from mezz usa it doesn't matter what joint u pick....all the same price.

Old
  (#18)
BigFish23
Registered
BigFish23 is on a distinguished road

08-13-2020, 11:23 PM

I had a Mezz ZZ cue with a United joint. It came with a WX700.

I tried the WX700 on my Schons, it fit fine. I could feel the resistance when the tip of threaded pin came into contact with the plastic insert at the top of the joint recess, but it screwed in completely.

I also tried various other shafts on the Mezz butt with the United pin. My 314-1 and Schon shafts fit fine. My Jacoby Ultra did not because the bubble for the piloted part of the joint in the shaft was too wide. 314's have a relatively small protrusion there, narrow and flat. The United pin has a smaller recess around it to accommodate the shaft's bubble. The Schon bubbles fit into the United pin, but just barely.

A flat-faced 5/16-14 would work fine on a United pin.

YMMV

Page 2 of 2 12